Sign in to follow this  
Timmeh

Xbox 360 Saved Game Transfers

Managed to get my gamertag onto my new XBox 360 (MW2 250GB HDD one). That was as simple as it should be.

Now how about them saved games hey?

I read I have to either buy a memory unit or one of them one off HDD transfer cables that after 1 use explodes like a mission impossible message.

Can I just whack in a USB memory unit copy it that and then to the new one. No I can't.

I've read that this is because they don't won't people cheating on achievements.

Example;

Lets say there is an achievement for a game that is 100 head shots for the head popper achievement (10G). I play the game and get 99 head shots. I then copy the save game file to a USB stick give it to my friend who only has to get 1 head shot to get the achievement. They want to stop that but in the meantime I can't transfer my save games. Achievements aren't currency and don't mean that much that you make it impossible for me to transfer my save games to a new XBox 360 without spending more money to do so. I bought an Xbox 360 with a HDD so I didn't have to buy a memory unit.

Microsoft get the Annoy achievement (-5G).

Wow ratshit, I chuck PS3 saves on my USB sticks all the time

Yep your right. Its a bit hard to fathom. There would be easier ways to stop achievement cheating if the achievements mean't something to you. Like tagging your profile to the save game so if you transfer it to a friends profile he can't get the achievement or the save the point. That makes more sense. But allowing you to transfer it to your same profile on a different Xbox 360 via USB stick.

Oh well. Microsoft just got another achievement the "really?" (-10G)

You could probably pick up "one of them one off HDD transfer cables that after 1 use explodes like a mission impossible message" off of eBay or the like for a few bucks.

Or you could ask round these parts (or Trademart) nicely. I'm sure a few Atomicans have one sitting around.

Edited by MoshVandal

I have one of the transfer cables, but I lost the software for it :(

If I remember right the transfer cable transfers EVERYTHING. It doesn't give you the option to transfer certain data.

When my XBox died, I picked up an arcade console, so I got my memory card that way. I now keep my profile on the memory card so that if I go to a mates place I can continue with my profile without mucking around.

You'd be surprised how many people are achievement whores. I can name 6 people straight off the top of my head.

It might be inconvenient for you, but it means that it keeps it fairer for those that do like achievements.

The other thing is that it stops people from modifying the save files on their computer and distributing it online.

I'm pretty sure you can just ring MS and get the transfer cables for free. You used to be able to, not sure if it has changed.

as far as i know its not free anymore. Think it was around $20 now if i remember right.

I tried 1 of the cheap ebay data transfer kits & worked fine

Thanks for the reply guys. I would of thought anyone with the transfer cable would of used it hence having bought it for that reason.

I did read that Microsoft did used to give the cables away but not anymore.

I might try and borrow a friends memory unit see if they will let me take a few precious megabytes of space to transfer a few save games.

I'd spend the money on cable if it was reuseable any time but I've also found out that you can do this only once a year on top of the one off only use of the cable. Ludicrous.

Racking up another achievement Microsoft also scores the "Up your bot bot end user" achievement (-50G).

Thanks for the reply guys. I would of thought anyone with the transfer cable would of used it hence having bought it for that reason.

I did read that Microsoft did used to give the cables away but not anymore.

I might try and borrow a friends memory unit see if they will let me take a few precious megabytes of space to transfer a few save games.

I'd spend the money on cable if it was reuseable any time but I've also found out that you can do this only once a year on top of the one off only use of the cable. Ludicrous.

Racking up another achievement Microsoft also scores the "Up your bot bot end user" achievement (-50G).

I've never seen anything saying that the cable is only good for one use.

I severely doubt this.

Quote:

The transfer cable is intended only for transferring data from your old hard drive to your new hard drive through your console. It is not intended for long-term connection to your console, nor is it intended for use with any other USB host or device. Dispose of the cable in accordance with the Disposal of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment guidelines in your Xbox 360 Warranty manual (Volume 2).

Got that from here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...tamigration.htm

Quote:

The transfer cable is intended only for transferring data from your old hard drive to your new hard drive through your console. It is not intended for long-term connection to your console, nor is it intended for use with any other USB host or device. Dispose of the cable in accordance with the Disposal of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment guidelines in your Xbox 360 Warranty manual (Volume 2).

Got that from here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...tamigration.htm

Seems to me like you could use it again :/

Maybe your right. I might be misunderstanding what they wrote. Maybe its a one off because the hard drive your copying gets erased afterwards, hence its a one off copy of that drive.

Still to be sure I'm going to use a mates memory card.

Maybe your right. I might be misunderstanding what they wrote. Maybe its a one off because the hard drive your copying gets erased afterwards, hence its a one off copy of that drive.

PM me your address, and I'll send you my cable and disk.

Assuming I can find it. Found it.

Edited by MoshVandal

Thats mighty kind of you stranger. May I compensate you in terms of postage costs.

Edited by Timmeh

Thats mighty kind of you stranger. May I compensate you in terms of postage costs.

God damn, I'm a nice guy.

:)