Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Secret World

Very true, I don't think you could provide a better example of a game not ready for launch than AoC.

This game is actually made on the same engine as AoC all be it a heavily revised one so I guess there is cause for concern.

Ragnar Tornquist (Project lead) actually has commented on this and his response was that they will be better prepared and more ready for launch thanks to a more mature engine and tool set with devs that now as a result of AoC have more experience with working with the engine.

Of course they aren't going to bag on the game however, so these things will have to be seen.

I also hope for a longer beta than AoC had, perhaps Funcom learnt their lesson because Aoc had one of the highest launch box sales of any mmo but one of the worst % retention (resubscribers) due to the flaws in the game.

Oh that's one town in the game, the idea is unlike past mmos they are basically making each area have its own story, there will of course be tie ins with a larger picture but essential expect this mmo to be heavily story driven compared to other MMOs with conclusions closure and surprises. At least that's their goal.

The game is set modern times with the twist that the world of mythology is real witches, zombies, urban legends, the yeti all that sorta stuff is real the town they are demoing is called Kingsmouth its a fictional fishing village set in USA tehy seem to have a zombie problem caused by something that your character will investigate also the outcomes of your work in towns can vary based on what 'cult' you belong to, cult is probably a bad word but they seem like fanatical organisations.

Other real world areas that are known to be in the game include London, Seoul - south Korea, New York, Egypt and parts of south America I believe.

Haha who are you?

At first i was Illuminate and now after doing it again I'm Dragon..

Hope they fix the animation, really detracts from the game. Animation is one of the main things you are going to see in a game and if its bad, it can put a real downer on the whole experience.

Looks cool though, the kind of game that could easily be a singleplayer or 4 player coop game.

Which animations are you refering to?

Typically game models and animation quality is every mmo's weak point I can't name a single one that can compete with a basic single player game, they are getting better however.

World of Warcraft has pretty good animation.

It shouldnt matter if its an mmo or not, it cant be that hard for developers to get decent animations on their characters.

I'm specifically talking about the fighting, it looks a bit retarded.

WoW? Wow has possibly the worst animation of any mainstream MMO each race has 2 attack animations and 2 cast animations and that's all.

I'm not 100% sure why there is a trend of poor animations, I know the MMO's tend to keep poly counts down because you can have literally 1000's of players on screen at once but that accounts for the models only not so much the animations.

Edited by Bundy

I'm not talking about the number of animations, but how they look when executed, secret world could have 1000 different animations per character, but it wouldnt matter if they didnt look any good.

2 new videos up!

The 3rd Theatrical trailer

and a new locaiton preview showing in game engine rendered footage.

I am still looking forward to this because I am sick of high fantasy MMO's modern day alternate reality seems to be just what the MMO doctor ordered, I am loving everything I read about the IP and lore of the game world! Weather the game play is any good we will have to wait and see :P.

I am still looking forward to this because I am sick of high fantasy MMO's modern day alternate reality seems to be just what the MMO doctor ordered, I am loving everything I read about the IP and lore of the game world! Weather the game play is any good we will have to wait and see :P.

Still interested myself. I would be interested to see how (or if) it handles hiding the spookies from the norms. If they don't even bother with that bit, it just becomes every other monster mash - 'maintaining the masquerade' is what makes things like the World of Darkness work.

Sounds right up my alley and looks like it could be great. March 25th, hey? I will definitely be checking this one out. Been hurt too bad by games that I've gotten my hopes up for lately ( feels bad, man ) so I will keep a leash on my enthusiasm till I actually play it for myself.

Edited by disolusiond

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Funcom needs to start work on the next fucking Longest Journey game. Been nearly as long as DNF

Developer walk through of game content, skip 2 or 3mins in the first video if you don't want to see the trailer again.

Take note of the shadows and lighting as well as the density of the environment probably the best I have seen in a MMO to date.

I also really like the synergy like electricity will be boosted in water or if the target is in a wet state from spells, and fire and oil and explosives mix too.. similar to Dragon age origins.

Edited by Bundy

I was sort of interested in this game due to the story telling elements, but that walkthrough has me turned off, MMO's have never been my thing.

MMO's are common these days like any other genre, problem is they are to common and to much the same or similar in pattern, nothing hardly comes original any more and this covers alot of new games to.

To be quite honest i played mmo's for the past 7 years off and on and it's fun developing your own unique character of sorts, playing with friends passing the time, unfortunately good times do decay and the game gets old period.

MMO's are common these days like any other genre, problem is they are to common and to much the same or similar in pattern, nothing hardly comes original any more and this covers alot of new games to.

Agree. That's what makes them so boring to play.

The worse is you almost know what happens next...they're so predictable. But in fairness to the developers of The Secret World, it surpasses what other games in this category have done. Honestly, this one is a bit challenging than other MMO's.

Would still love to try playing this one and see if it suits me.

Anyone pick this up?

Mine arrived today, seems kind of clunky.

Some interesting ideas in there, but feel very disconnected from it after just a couple hours.

The 4 gig patch didn't help.

Anyone pick this up?

Mine arrived today, seems kind of clunky.

Some interesting ideas in there, but feel very disconnected from it after just a couple hours.

The 4 gig patch didn't help.

I'm hoping to get it soon, but who knows :P

I'm enjoying it for what it is, an online single player rpg. The combat is a little clunky to start, but the writing in it is god damn amazing. You actually care what the npcs have to say and want to read every last detail in order to progress further rather then another recent garbage WoW clone that claimed the story was the central pillar to the game but was nothing more then some boring arse snooze fest that had you mashing the space bar...

Im enjoying atm, it is reminiscent of Age of Conan in some of its mechanics, very atmospheric.

I like the puzzle aspect and the option to research solutions in meatspace as opposed to grabbing spoilers from youtube, for example the morsecode quest near Ellis, at the airport, was a very satisfying solve for me.

Graphically superior to SWToR, which I'm also playing but getting a little tired of (Master Dar Nala : Terhminator, Bluhottie), overall it's a quality production that's best enjoyed with a mate and a coffee or beer.

Huldar is where I am, still to roll an Illuminati, as I'm enjoying my Templar (Blayderunner) too much, rolled a Dragon, Neoshaman build, (Teknolok ), but didn't know what I was doing.

The flexibility to be any class is of merit and the play styles is totally your choice which is refreshing, reminds me of EVE a little bit in that aspect, but without the stratospheric learning curve and brutal 0.0 play style.

There seems to be a mature player base in Huldar which is good, (I'm getting sick of trolls in SWToR and my ignore list is constantly growing), there is some bugged quests which, unfortunately, is a staple in any fresh MMO, SWToR is still a bit buggy in some FP's.

Haven't progressed too far but what I've seen is promising.

I'll still play SWToR due to Guild commitments but this IP is intriguing.

:)

Got this last thursday, really enjoying it so far.

Its very refreshing to move away from the stale old MMORPGs of old, toting the wow formula.

The best thing about TSW is it doesn't feel like you're just grinding for levels, because there are no real character levels.

Very awesome, great graphics and an engrossing and atmospheric world, its just a joy to explore.

I've got just under 20 hours played on my fist/pistol build and around 8 hours played on my blades build.