Kung Fu Hung-Su

Is anyone not happy with Windows 7?

I am mostly ok with Windows 7...except for one, -glaring- problem.

It's this ridiculous "Windows Explorer has stopped working" message that restarts Explorer and pisses me off a dozen times a day. And apparently, I'm not the only one.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...a1-6b6d0836f62a

Unreal that so many people have this huge problem. It's not enough to make me pick up a new OS, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it.

How are you guys going with your Windows 7 installs? Clear sailing?

Clear sailing, dude.

I hate the way My Documents works now, but that changed in Vista, so not a Windows 7 problem.

I pine for a classic login screen too... :(

I would say that rather than just being annoyed by the problem, you should probably try to fix.

Obviously there is something about your setup at the moment which is causing explorer to be rather finicky.

By the sound of it, I would say a device driver which is being used by explorer and is leaking memory.

I mostly like Windows 7

to be honest, I was happy with Vista (ultimate)

I have win7 only on my laptop at the moment, I like the new Libraries feature, and probably the HomeGroup too when I have more Win7 devices.

The Win7 Media Center is a big improvement, and actually makes watching Digital TV a pleasure.

I do not like the Win7 taskbar, I was happy with the classic one, I'd make it double height, auto-hide and make the quick launch bar the first row of the taskbar (I can fit 30 small icons in there)

Only thing neat about the new taskbar is that you can drag the icons/groups into any order you like.

I hate the way My Documents works now, but that changed in Vista, so not a Windows 7 problem.

What do you mean?

I would say that rather than just being annoyed by the problem, you should probably try to fix.

Obviously there is something about your setup at the moment which is causing explorer to be rather finicky.

By the sound of it, I would say a device driver which is being used by explorer and is leaking memory.

Way, way, way easier said than done. As you can see from that enormous forum thread, this problem has been around for a while, and MANY people have it, and very few people have solutions that work for anyone else. It has been and will be hard to fix =(

I mostly like Windows 7

to be honest, I was happy with Vista (ultimate)

I have win7 only on my laptop at the moment, I like the new Libraries feature, and probably the HomeGroup too when I have more Win7 devices.

The Win7 Media Center is a big improvement, and actually makes watching Digital TV a pleasure.

I do not like the Win7 taskbar, I was happy with the classic one, I'd make it double height, auto-hide and make the quick launch bar the first row of the taskbar (I can fit 30 small icons in there)

Only thing neat about the new taskbar is that you can drag the icons/groups into any order you like.

So was I really. I admit I also liked the Vista/XP task bar, but for different reasons - The Vista/XP taskbar's Quick Launch bar had the ability to show text in addition to the shortcut icon. So I could put an icon of a game controller there and have "Games" underneath it for extra clarity when kids and other people wanted to play games on my computer. On windows 7, it is quite a bit less clear without that text.

But yes, drag and drop rearrange is really nice. You can't do it with multiple windows of the same type though, slightly annoying when you have lots of exporer windows. Libraries is much better than simply "my music" as before.

No problems here, I am however dual booting with vista because I have my vista install just the way I like it. The only thing I don't like so far with 7, is the giant/ugly task bar, other than that I have to admit this is the closest MS have ever come to releasing a windows system without major flaws.

What do you mean?

This new "libraries" system, where "My Documents" isn't a folder, but a pointer to potentially several folders.

I'm not sold on it, and there is no way to disable it. I can work around it, but I'd prefer not to have to.

I had a major problem with my 4850s during clean install of Win7.

I solved it by clean installing Vista, updating the drivers from ATI, then doing an upgrade install of Win7.

Silliest driver resolution, ever.

No further issues.

Edited by metasynaptic

I have issues with a snap in when accessing Computer Management.

Other than that no problems, and it runs like a dream on my SSD :)

I BSOD'd my win 7 yesterday. But then I did connect the VS debugger to wininit.exe instead of the IIS process...

Other than that, it's been clear sailing.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...l-dll-help.html

This may help, but even if it doesn't the ideas in there will.

Find the action which is causing a problem. (like the creative processed for said guy)

Try removing possible causes.

Try updating possible related drivers.

And if no amount if inspection works, run a repair install to get a healthy ntdll.dll back onto your system and see if that helps.

Yes, it can take some time, but it is worth it to get your system running smooth and how you like it.

Also, as mentioned in the linked thread, just because it happened in Windows, does not mean it was Windows fault.

I remember when Vista first came out and everyone was having a spat about it crashing and being buggy. Then Nvidia updated their drivers and everyone was happy that MS had finally fixed the problem... O_o

Sucks to MS getting all the crap for other companies not being on the ball enough to support their users with working drivers.

Sucks to MS getting all the crap for other companies not being on the ball enough to support their users with working drivers.

I think in my case, the driver issue was with the Microsoft generic driver, (which may or may not have been provided by ATI), and was quite old by the time 7 shipped. Shipping old drivers with things like windows is a fairly common procedure... ship something vaguely recent that we know works (mostly) than something too new that has issues.

If microsoft had distributed a more recent release of the ATI driver set with windows then I wouldn't have had a problem, but it's possible someone else might have.

I think in my case, the driver issue was with the Microsoft generic driver, (which may or may not have been provided by ATI), and was quite old by the time 7 shipped. Shipping old drivers with things like windows is a fairly common procedure... ship something vaguely recent that we know works (mostly) than something too new that has issues.

If microsoft had distributed a more recent release of the ATI driver set with windows then I wouldn't have had a problem, but it's possible someone else might have.

Who the hell uses the graphics drivers that from MS ? Everyone I know installs the latest drivers from AMD, for reasons of compatibility and performance. Silly metasynaptic ;) Edited by bowiee

There aren't any 64-bit drivers for my graphics card listed on my laptop manufacturers website, so I'm stuck with the Microsoft ones.

Dude, it was black screening before first login.

Sounds more like your card was not seated right, or you ram was not seated right or flaky. In at least 30 installs of win 7 for clients I have not seen that particular issue.

There aren't any 64-bit drivers for my graphics card listed on my laptop manufacturers website, so I'm stuck with the Microsoft ones.

I don't know about ATi, but nVidia distribute a unified driver for their mobile graphics chips now.

Apparently they got sick of laptop OEMs dropping the ball with drivers, so decided to make their own available.

So what chip set is your graphics ?

Anyone paid money for W7? I'm still on RC and it's closing soon. Or should I just go back to XP?

Yes I have, and I am also running RC on my lappy which expires in august, as it runs so well on my lappy I will be buying a copy for it as well.

I found win 7 HP great.

Anyone paid money for W7? I'm still on RC and it's closing soon. Or should I just go back to XP?

Yes I have, and I am also running RC on my lappy which expires in august, as it runs so well on my lappy I will be buying a copy for it as well.

I found win 7 HP great.

That's what I thought. I can get mine at work cheap, might buy two copies

I thought I was going to end up running my system with 7 Ultimate and XP Pro dual-booted but after installing and setting up 7, forget about XP.

I made the Taskbar smaller, got rid of both the Libraries and Homegroup submenus in Explorer.

I installed all my games and programs, in which they all work so it's amazing.

I thought I would be all happy and chirpy about Win7 as I was with Vista a couple years ago.

I am simply satisfied, as it is a good OS and does what I need it to.