Sign in to follow this  
llmoose

All future Ubisoft games to require a permanent internet connection..

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2380/ubisoft-...pc-drm-strategy

The new Online Services Platform will require players to connect to Ubi.com to authenticate their game each time they play, and saved games will also be stored online, meaning PC gamers will need to be connected to the internet all the time.

Saved games will also be stored online, meaning PC gamers will need to be connected to the internet all the time.

Seriously WTF!

There's pros and cons I guess, but honestly the internet in this country isn't really suitable for this 'always requires a connection' kind of setup (especially in rural areas).

That's pretty crappy >_<

I play on my laptop and am not always at home where my internet connection is when I play

There's pros and cons I guess, but honestly the internet in this country isn't really suitable for this 'always requires a connection' kind of setup (especially in rural areas).

Yeah I can see the rise of the the "no-internet" crack for those with crappy connections (e.g. dial-up)

Well, I'm sorry, but when I buy a Single Player Game I see no reason why I need to have an internet connection at all to install and play it.

Not to mention the fact that I have to pay for an ISP which is additional to the cost of the game.

For me, this is a deal breaker too - because I work at remote locations and often don't have internet access or have restricted access via the client's system.

Will be interesting to see the exact terms here.

Yeah I can see the rise of the the "no-internet" crack for those with crappy connections (e.g. dial-up)

Yeah... while I don't support piracy - 'cracks' allowing you to play your own game (which you have payed for) are fine by me.

Well, it's just like Steam, but better. You don't risk losing your save games!

You do know how large single save files are this day and age, yes?

I was at 980K in points after 40 + hours in Grid and my save game got corrupted. Steam told me there was nothing they could do they stopped fixing saves 6 months ago and I must start again.

99% of people are connected to the net anyway so it's not really a huge deal (except for being capped / country fied and getting your gaming interrupted because you must install an update.

IMO as long as you can skip updates and instaplay it's not to draconian.

I wonder how the wooden leg brigade will work with save games? All though to be honest I just alt tab out of games these days I don't really save.

You do know how large single save files are this day and age, yes?

Um it varies from game to game dramatically.

Not really surprising ubisoft were one of the biggest users of starforce. Seems they just like fucking over their customers.

I can appreciate they want to improve the experience for gamers. I would prefer if this shit was optional.

I'm happy to make a toll free call to get a code to unlock my game if I'm not near a net connection.

That's why everyone should use Window 7. The Previous Version function is freaking fantastic! I was able to restore files/folders from days ago without the need to backup.

Anyways I hate having to connect to multiple services to play a game. 1 is enough thanks, Mass Effect 2 kinda pisses me off cos it requires connection to Steam and BioWare.

I'm happy to make a toll free call to get a code to unlock my game if I'm not near a net connection.

What...each time you want to play it?

Fuck that. Sounds too much like asking permission.

all my saved games are backed up anyway, I can copy them to any computer I choose.

What...each time you want to play it?

Fuck that. Sounds too much like asking permission.

No just for the initial install. I hate having to put the cd in every time I want to play, hence why I'm a fan of no cd patches.

theres been a system like this before, cant remember which game though, but basically, someone made a fake "authentication server" that was just a local app, and then all you had to do was update your localhost file with an ip or something, and it would bypass all the online auth shit.

I don't think I have ever bought or played an Ubisoft game for PC in a very long time as they are pretty much console ports that play better on a console anyway. This seems like another step along the road to convergence with the cloud taking away the ability of the user to control how they use and store their data to which I still have objections to. At least with Steam all the information is stored locally on a user's machine.

Of course this can be seen as benefical and desirable as CyberGlitch's post does indicate. I agree it does have benefits but I am also concerned about the costs about having to sign up for all this multiple services, complicating using a game, the fact that one needs to be online to play, the bandwidth required for the savegame process and also the simple principle of taking control away.

For me it is not worth it. However it will come to pass regardless.

There's a few things that concern me about such a model.

Here in Australia, as we know, we have something of a population density problem relative to our geography. Outside major metropolitan areas, we don't have a robust infrastructure that is capable of providing reliable broadband Internet services so there is still a great deal of dialup penetration. At this point, I think it's unreasonable to expect people to connect to an external server, even at intervals, to verify or use a game they legitimately purchased. For those of us with broadband, I view that as a hassle and intrusive. For those without broadband, it would prevent a legitimate customer from playing the game whenever they chose, in the manner in which they choose (for example). I don't believe it's necessarily a good business model to [actively or passively] prevent customers from using your product.

As has been touched upon in this thread already, is the issue of savegame size and Internet caps here in Australia. I wonder how kind the storing savegames online mechanism is to compulsive savers such as myself?

And then there's the issue of server uptime and redundancy. What if the server changes address, or goes down for a period of time? Would players be unable to authenticate/verify/connect and therefore be unable to play the game? A standalone game they legitimately purchased. Also, worst case scenario would be the company going under and the server(s) becoming unavailable. Further penalising legitimate customers.

There's that phrase again: penalising legitimate customers.

Obviously there are positives to this system, and I do recognise that not every gamer is going to share the same concerns as myself. I can imagine convenience and convergence being a drawcard for some gamers, in that they don't have to worry about things like HDD space and backups (this issue is a double-edged blade, to me). And of course, the company gets to exercise greater control over the playing population - how much of a good thing that is for gamers, though, that's obviously still up in the air. Strong companies may translate into more and perhaps even (subjectively) "better" titles, so that may turn out to be a win for gamers. I do enjoy innovation in the gaming industry, I think there's some very good reasons to try new things and very few reasons why the models that have existed for all these years cannot be challenged.

Personally, I tend to struggle to be comfortable with placing my trust in a system that takes more control away from the flow of my data than I deem necessary, and at this time I definitely don't see why it's necessary to require my savegames, for example, to live online. As has been mentioned, there is a shift towards cloud computing that has been rumbling along for years, but I am of the opinion that cloud computing is not the most appropriate tool for all jobs. Desktop computing has slowly but surely been usurped in some areas by cloud computing, but I see the relationship between the two to be more symbiotic and less either/or. In many ways, this is probably a very natural and understandable shift, although I have to say I don't like the idea of having the choice taken away from me. As a gamer and a geek who likes to exercise a certain amount of control over her data, I would prefer a model with options for data flow, rather than being forced to conform to an entirely online model. Of course, from a practical and business standpoint, I can see why that choice is not there. Still, at this point in time it's not a choice I personally feel comfortable with.

Of course, it's fairly early days yet. From what I've read thus far, however, I can't say I'm entirely enthusiastic about this news as it stands just now although I do think such systems may become more common over the years. I am hoping that some semblence of what I deem to be common sense can prevail and gamers continue to be given choices.

edit: typo

Edited by elvenwhore

Drama drama drama.

I remember similar drama when Steam came out. And then people realised there was a simlpe, easy to use "Go Offline" option. And then people bitched about having to use that instead of it being default. Then probably left it online all the time anyway.