Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
back2future

Do you download "leaked" albums

Leaked Albums - what would you do?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Leaked Albums - what would you do?

• Download only, NOT buy the album when it's released
    • Download, but buy the album regardless when it's released
    • Download, if it's good I'll buy it.
    • Not download it. Wait for the official release to buy it.
    • Who cares?
    • Who is AC/DC?

I just read that the entire new AC/DC album has been leaked online.

To quote an AC/DC fan site :

SonyBMG/Columbia Records are probably in the midst of attempting heavy damage control right about now as their hopes to keep the album under wraps have been forever dashed nearly two weeks before the official release date of October 20th.

I'm tempted. Very tempted. But I have relented. I'll keep an ear out for the radio airplay before I decide. That's MY personal choice. Many fans on that site have grabbed it but professed that they will buy the album anyways.

So to the poll. Most options are obvious in explanation. Just interested in what the average Atomican (if there is such a thing) does in these situations.

Nope. Leaked albums tend to have pretty crappy quality- I remember somebody leaked out a copy of Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it sounded nothing like the full album release.

That, coupled with the fact I firmly believe the artists are entitled to the tiny percentage of my money they get even if the record companies get most of it means that I don't.

If I'm that keen for an album I'd be buying it anyway.

However, part of the fun for me is purchasing the new album, holding it my hands and watching the light reflect off it, and getting to hear it in CD quality for the very first time.

Nope. Leaked albums tend to have pretty crappy quality- I remember somebody leaked out a copy of Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it sounded nothing like the full album release.

That, coupled with the fact I firmly believe the artists are entitled to the tiny percentage of my money they get even if the record companies get most of it means that I don't.

BS. the quality of the album has nothing to do with the fact that its leaked, but at what stage it was leaked.

Its highly likely that someone at the studio/plant/label/record store with a street date got their hands on a copy and leaked it.

However, part of the fun for me is purchasing the new album, holding it my hands and watching the light reflect off it, and getting to hear it in CD quality for the very first time.

Agree, if it's an album from a band i particularly like i'd download just to be able to listen to it asap, knowing that i'll be buying it anyway.

Having the CD in your hands and flipping through the liner notes is part of the experience.

This.

They're usually watertight when you buy them retail as well, and not as prone to leaks :P

This.

They're usually watertight when you buy them retail as well, and not as prone to leaks :P

Crap.

I listen to music exclusivly on my computer or mp3 player, and so only want the music in digital, unencumbered form. I exclusivly download and do not purchase tracks, as the leaked versions tend to be superior quality, tagged and organized perfectly, and in general higher quality than what the owner will provide. The same for games and movies actually.

Yea.

They make me 'leak' a little bit.

Where from?

Having the CD in your hands and flipping through the liner notes is part of the experience.

Some of my favourite albums are even available online for free (legally, that is) but were worth every cent to purchase.

I'll usually grab a copy of leaks and see what I think of them. Whether it's a leak or an already released album doesn't matter to me.

I listen to music exclusivly on my computer or mp3 player, and so only want the music in digital, unencumbered form. I exclusivly download and do not purchase tracks, as the leaked versions tend to be superior quality, tagged and organized perfectly, and in general higher quality than what the owner will provide. The same for games and movies actually.

Wait - so you download them because you're too lazy to rip and tag them yourself, and complain that buying encoded tracks online is worse quality?

Talk about lazy.

BS. the quality of the album has nothing to do with the fact that its leaked, but at what stage it was leaked.

Its highly likely that someone at the studio/plant/label/record store with a street date got their hands on a copy and leaked it.

Indeed- in fact, I said tend to, not 'always is' for this very reason. My experience has been that most leaks sound horrible, but other experiences could vary :P

Download, if it's good I'll buy it.

As soon as I get a CD i'll rip it @ 320k and put the CD in the rack to keep it good.

I don't share openly music on BitTorrent/P2P networks.

Indeed- in fact, I said tend to, not 'always is' for this very reason. My experience has been that most leaks sound horrible, but other experiences could vary :P

Yes, you said they tend to. As in they have a tendency/are prone/are likely to have crappy quality. You are, infact, totally wrong. The quality has absolutely nothing to do with it being leaked, but everything to do with the stage at which they were leaked.

I can't help it if you don't know where to look for high quality rips, but you're totally speaking out of your arse here dude.

Yes, you said they tend to. As in they have a tendency/are prone/are likely to have crappy quality. You are, infact, totally wrong. The quality has absolutely nothing to do with it being leaked, but everything to do with the stage at which they were leaked.

I can't help it if you don't know where to look for high quality rips, but you're totally speaking out of your arse here dude.

Eh. If you say so- I can only go off my own experience. If you've got more insight on the issue, I'm happy to defer to it.

hey, i've got no issue if you're going to speak from experience... but at least keep it to a simple statement of your experience, and not a sweeping statement that applies to all leaked releases.

hey, i've got no issue if you're going to speak from experience... but at least keep it to a simple statement of your experience, and not a sweeping statement that applies to all leaked releases.

Ah, I should have been a bit clearer then- wasn't my intention to tar all of them with the same brush. My bad.

Radiohead's Kid A got leaked onto Napster back before this was a normal thing to do. At a time when it was still newsworthy when a website got sued for copyright infringement the whole album got leaked 3 months before the release. Record executives and industry buffs thought 'They'll never make money on it now'. It went platinum in the UK in a week was their first album to debut at #1 in the United States. It had barely any direct marketing, just the blips downloaded mainly on the internet and the notoriety of its leak.

Point is people will pay for music if they like it enough so yeah, I'll download a leaked album to see if I like it. I did it with The Eraser and there were only minor changes when I got a CD copy. I think it's just fine and am yet to have any problem with the quality of the files.