Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
theflyingswan

Neighbours huge tree

Neighbours massive tree grows over into my garden,I know I can cut it all back obviously but can I chuck it over his side or is it my responsibility to dispose of it?

Edited by theflyingswan

Neighbours massive tree grows over into my garden,I know I can cut it all back obviously but can I chuck it over his side or is it my responsibility to dispose of it?

That would sort of depend on how big your neighbour is. :P

I don't believe you're even allowed to cut it off, legally. I know this mostly because I listen to ABC local radio. They have a weekly segment where a lawyer answers these kinds of questions.

First up, you only really have a right to even ask for it to be removed if it's causing some kind of damage to your property. An overhanging branch or leaves or fruit or whatever falling into your yard don't constitute damage or potention damage unless it's provably dangerous.

You can't cut the tree, but you can ask them nicely to. It's always best to start with asking nicely. If they don't, ask nicely again. Then ask again... in writing. Then ask a lawyer to send them a letter. After that I think you have to apply to one of the smaller courts for a court order to have it trimmed.

Posted Image

Why copper?

-

Drill a hole in the side of the tree and put some poison in then seal the hole.

Do it once a week for a few months and see what happens.

Interesting tantryl...

The tree in question isn't really a cause of damage...it just drops shit all over the corner of my garden,especially when it fruits up and the white cockatoos go apeshit...

heheh,yeah copper nails,poison etc are all good........just wondering where I stand if I start the stihl up ;)

thanks for the info all.

Yeah, I think legally speaking you're borked. IANAL, though. IANAL at any hour of the day. As a cheap option, listening in to or calling up a law-talk radio segment of talk back will probably get you a real answer for free.

But asking nicely for it to be trimmed back might yet yield results.

Trying to kill a giant tree that could fall into your garden sounds like a genius move. You should do it.

Ever thought of setting it alight?

Perhaps tie some grenades to possums in the hope they might climb it?

What about digging a tunnel and excavating it's foundations?

Maybe you should buy some termites?

You could always set a high powered gamma radiation emitter, that'll kill it!

Maybe Crash a light aircraft into it.

Dioxins?

Nuclear waste!

Or a whacky one... you could have a talk.

We have had similar probs as we have trees goddam everywhere.

Legally, you own the airspace above your property. You can cut the tree, but still only within council trimming guidelines (depends on your council, but our is 10% max of foliage area). You are not allowed to trim the tree unevenly. Also, technically, the tree still belongs to the neighbour (that is, the cuttings) but better to arrange where to put the crap rather than pitching it over the fence.

Talk to the neighbour, if your on good terms there should not be a prob.

Or a whacky one... you could have a talk.

Bingo.

My neighbour has banana trees in her yard, they're continually falling in my yard, all kinds of crap ends up here.

Once an entire palm fell and took out my clothes line, pain in the hole.

I just went and talked to her about it, she's a pensioner.

She said she had no one to help her cut them down.

So I spent a couple of hours helping her clean up and chop down the dying ones.

Then for my troubles I got a massive bunch of bananas and everyone's happy!

Before I can give a detailed answer, I need to know where you are.

I reckon he's in bed.

Before I can give a detailed answer, I need to know where you are.

That's right.

But in NSW, you can cut the branches at the fence line and throw them back over the fence.

Those ideas are all crap.

The first thing you need to do is buy some Old Spice. That stuff can get pretty potent, and you'll be using a lot of it, but its distinctive and that suits your purpose. Invite your neighbours over for a neighbourly dinner. Make sure you wear your cologne, but you'll want to put it on just before they arrive. Cook something nice and impressive -- roast beef, say, with bombe alaska for desert. Make sure you research a nice bottle of red to go with it. While you have your neighbours over, you want to make sure that you spend plenty of time asking your neighbour's wife about what she does. Be interested. Tell her how wonderful it is that she's so passionate about basket weaving. Every time her glass reaches the half-way mark, be sure to stand up and walk around the table, reaching around her to fill up her glass. Your neighbour way well get uncomfortable with all the attention you're paying to his wife -- don't worry, this will work to your advantage later on.

Once the meal is over, politely show your neighbours out. Give him a firm handshake, looking him straight in the eyes and smiling. Give her a lingering kiss on the cheek while slipping your hand around her side -- but don't squeeze. Whisper a little something in her ear. Tell her that you used to play soccer for your school team, or something equally trivial. Make sure you wait outside your front door with the light on until your neighbours have gone inside.

Over the next couple of weeks, you'll want to arrange for a few days off work. Spend those days visiting your neighbour's wife while he's not there. It's easy to think up excuses: you want to make sure she liked the meal, you need to borrow a cup of sugar, you want to see if she heard any strange noises last night because you think there might be a possum in your roof. Whatever. But stay a while, and chat. Ask her if she's on a diet, because she seems to be losing a fair bit of weight. Tell her her new haircut looks stunning. As time goes on, begin to slip in questions about her husband -- is he [pause, assume facial expression that shows you're trying to think up a diplomatic word to use] "okay"? Tell her it seems like he doesn't really notice her, that you haven't seen much of a spark between the two of them, that he doesn't seem like someone who really appreciates her. Ask her how long they've been married. No matter what her response, reply with "Wow. Well, that's a long time for anyone." At some point you'll need to excuse yourself to go use her toilet. While there, take out a small bottle of Old Spice and spray it on the toilet paper. If you're particularly daring, you might even be able to sneak into their bedroom at which point you should spray some onto your neighbour's side of the bed.

Now, obviously the best next step is to seduce your neighbour's wife and have sex with her repeatedly. She should be quite pliable at this point. If you need some extra help, offer to teach her how to make Martinis while you're over, and get her to taste the first half dozen or so while explaining that they're "not quite right." Buy her chocolates and jewelry. Compliment her on the neatness of her house. If you can't manage it, it's not a big problem, but it will work better if you do manage to break good ol' #7. If you are Catholic, go to confession. If not, continue on to the next step.

By this stage, your neighbour will be intensely suspicious of you. He will have asked his wife what you whispered to her, and her reply of "he told me that he used to play soccer," will, of course, sound like a lie. Invite your neighbours over for another meal all the same. Again, wear a lot of Old Spice. See if you can drop into conversation that you've never really been much of a sporting type, and that you particularly hate soccer. Provide a relatively small main course, and for desert bring out the fruit pie/cobbler/trifle/whatever that you used fruit from the tree in question to make. Make sure you supply cream, giving the wife twice as much as anyone else while looking her in the eye and smiling. Halfway through desert, mention to your neighbour that he's extremely lucky -- his is "the sweetest fruit of all." Flick your eyes over to his wife then back down to your plate, while "struggling" to hide a smile.

After this meal, take your neighbour out the back to look at the tree in question. Tell him that this tree means a lot to you, and that you hope he never cuts it down. Previously, you will have carved a "cupid" heart into the bark, indicating that your initials are "4" your neighbour's wife's initials. When your neighbour sees this he will get a puzzled look on his face but likely won't say anything -- bring it up all the same. Mutter something about that being the initials of an old dog of yours that died and you wanted to remember "her... sorry, him..." this way. Give your fake dog a girl's name. In an obvious attempt to cover your faux faux pas, draw your neighbour's attention to the chainsaw you left out near the tree. Ask him if he has one of his own. If he doesn't tell him he can always borrow your if he needs it for anything. Tell him your sure he'd let you borrow anything of his, as good neighbours do. Then glance at the tree (in particular the carving), then your chainsaw, then him, and add "almost anything."

As your neighbours leave, be sure that you have taken fruit from the tree with you. As you watch your neighbour's wife go, your neighbour will occasionally glance back at you. Eat the fruit as messily as possible, while leaning back against your door frame smiling softly to yourself.

The next morning, when you wake up with a broken window and a tree branch in your bed, feel free to sleep in and ignore the hammering sounds -- that's just your neighbour repairing the gap in your fence. Mission accomplished.

Edited by The Fuzz damn you!

The first thing you need to do is buy some Old Spice. That stuff can get pretty potent, and you'll be using a lot of it, but its distinctive and that suits your purpose. Invite your neighbours over for a neighbourly dinner. Make sure you wear your cologne, but you'll want to put it on just before they arrive. Cook something nice and impressive -- roast beef, say, with bombe alaska for desert. Make sure you research a nice bottle of red to go with it. While you have your neighbours over, you want to make sure that you spend plenty of time asking your neighbour's wife about what she does. Be interested. Tell her how wonderful it is that she's so passionate about basket weaving. Every time her glass reaches the half-way mark, be sure to stand up and walk around the table, reaching around her to fill up her glass. Your neighbour way well get uncomfortable with all the attention you're paying to his wife -- don't worry, this will work to your advantage later on.

Once the meal is over, politely show your neighbours out. Give him a firm handshake, looking him straight in the eyes and smiling. Give her a lingering kiss on the cheek while slipping your hand around her side -- but don't squeeze. Whisper a little something in her ear. Tell her that you used to play soccer for your school team, or something equally trivial. Make sure you wait outside your front door with the light on until your neighbours have gone inside.

Over the next couple of weeks, you'll want to arrange for a few days off work. Spend those days visiting your neighbour's wife while he's not there. It's easy to think up excuses: you want to make sure she liked the meal, you need to borrow a cup of sugar, you want to see if she heard any strange noises last night because you think there might be a possum in your roof. Whatever. But stay a while, and chat. Ask her if she's on a diet, because she seems to be losing a fair bit of weight. Tell her her new haircut looks stunning. As time goes on, begin to slip in questions about her husband -- is he [pause, assume facial expression that shows you're trying to think up a diplomatic word to use] "okay"? Tell her it seems like he doesn't really notice her, that you haven't seen much of a spark between the two of them, that he doesn't seem like someone who really appreciates her. Ask her how long they've been married. No matter what her response, reply with "Wow. Well, that's a long time for anyone." At some point you'll need to excuse yourself to go use her toilet. While there, take out a small bottle of Old Spice and spray it on the toilet paper. If you're particularly daring, you might even be able to sneak into their bedroom at which point you should spray some onto your neighbour's side of the bed.

Now, obviously the best next step is to seduce your negihbour's wife and have sex with her repeatedly. She should be quite pliable at this point. If you need some extra help, offer to teach her how to make Martinis while you're over, and get her to taste the first half dozen or so while explaining that they're "not quite right." Buy her chocolates and jewelry. Compliment her on the neatness of her house. If you can't manage it, it's not a big problem, but it will work better if you do manage to break good ol' #7. If you are Catholic, go to confession. If not, continue on to the next step.

By this stage, your neighbour will be intensely suspicious of you. He will have asked his wife what you whispered to her, and her reply of "he told me that he used to play soccer," will, of course, sound like a lie. Invite your neighbours over for another meal all the same. Again, wear a lot of Old Spice. See if you can drop into conversation that you've never really been much of a sporting type, and that you particularly hate soccer. Provide a relatively small main course, and for desert bring out the fruit pie/cobbler/trifle/whatever that you used fruit from the tree in question to make. Make sure you supply cream, giving the wife twice as much as anyone else while looking her in the eye and smiling. Halfway through desert, mention to your neighbour that he's extremely lucky -- his is "the sweetest fruit of all." Flick your eyes over to his wife then back down to your plate, while "struggling" to hide a smile.

After this meal, take your neighbour out the back to look at the tree in question. Tell him that this tree means a lot to you, and that you hope he never cuts it down. Previously, you will have carved a "cupid" heart into the bark, indicating that your initials are "4" your neighbour's wife's initials. When your neighbour sees this he will get a puzzled look on his face but likely won't say anything -- bring it up all the same. Mutter something about that being the initials of an old dog of yours that died and you wanted to remember "her... sorry, him..." this way. Give your fake dog a girl's name. In an obvious attempt to cover your faux faux pas, draw your neighbour's attention to the chainsaw you left out near the tree. Ask him if he has one of his own. If he doesn't tell him he can always borrow your if he needs it for anything. Tell him your sure he'd let you borrow anything of his, as good neighbours do. Then glance at the tree (in particular the carving), then your chainsaw, then him, and add "almost anything."

As your neighbours leave, be sure that you have taken fruit from the tree with you. As you watch your neighbour's wife go, you neighbour will occasionally glance back at you. Eat the fruit as messily as possible, while leaning back against your door frame smiling softly to yourself.

The next morning, when you wake up with a broken window and a tree branch in your bed, feel free to sleep in and ignore the hammering sounds -- that's just your neighbour repairing the gap in your fence. Mission accomplished.

I like your thinking!

Now, obviously the best next step is to seduce your negihbour's wife and have sex with her repeatedly. She should be quite pliable at this point. If you need some extra help, offer to teach her how to make Martinis while you're over, and get her to taste the first half dozen or so while explaining that they're "not quite right." Buy her chocolates and jewelry. Compliment her on the neatness of her house. If you can't manage it, it's not a big problem, but it will work better if you do manage to break good ol' #7. If you are Catholic, go to confession. If not, continue on to the next step.

As your neighbours leave, be sure that you have taken fruit from the tree with you. As you watch your neighbour's wife go, you neighbour will occasionally glance back at you. Eat the fruit as messily as possible, while leaning back against your door frame smiling softly to yourself.

POTM.

Haha, brilliant :P

In all seriousness, Talk to your neighbour about it, mention that you are more then happy to do the labour yourself and i can't really see them having too many problems with it.

POTM.

I'm going to have to agree.

And god help your neighbour's wives, Fuzz.