Sign in to follow this  
Bolter01

30" Monitor 4 Gaming

I'm looking at a Samsung 305T-PLUS - $1549.00, 6ms response time, FOR GAMING

I have a HD5970 so the res should not be an issue.

How is 6ms as a response time?

Anyone that has this model or another 30" please throw in your 5 cents

Cheers

I have a Dell 3008WFP 30". Beware that resolution Dell U2711 (16:9 is WQHD =2560x1440) not the Dell 3008wfp (16:10 WQXGA =2560x1600 ratio). But that may not matter to you.

I play my games in window of 1920x1200 and find the games i play CS:S/TF2/L4D/ME/ME2 do just fine. I find there is not a lot of lag on the screen at all. Movies on a large screen look very awesome. I recommend it.

The colour on these monitors are extremely good. You may no want to go back to a TN based screen again. I know i will not if i can help it.

The Dell that nesquick has said should do fine as well. They use the same IPS panel. Just in a different aspect ratio. I personally to have the full 16:10 ratio.

You have the beefy graphics card required to run at this resolution so all that is required is what monitor to get.

There is a lot of screen real estate to play with I though multi-monitor was good. But this is better imho.

Yer I have a samsung T260 (26") so 27" doesn't really excite me that much though it would no doubt be a big improvement on quality. I would hate to play in a window. Is that necessary or just your graphics cards limitation?

hes got a HD4870x2 so I doubt its an FPS issue, probably more like he has trouble taking in everything on the screen.

Oh I see, whats the voucher you speak of Nes? Where/how do I get one?

Dell 3008WFP 30, 8ms response time....? Hows that 2SHY?

Edited by Bolter01

15% off price of any dell monitor

4MZR3KTJJRT0VS

if you wait long enough (usually once a month) they will have the 30" for $1800 after 15% thats like $1530

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but Input Lag (as separate from response time) is a big issue with 30" monitors. Whilst you might not be a competitive FPS gamer, on some models the lag is sufficiently huge as to damage the gaming experience... the Dell 3008 WFP being a particularly bad offender with the Samsung 305 and HP LP3065 being close behind. If you can find a Dell 3007 WFP, that would be a lot better, whilst the U2711 would also be pretty decent.

Oh I see, whats the voucher you speak of Nes? Where/how do I get one?

Dell 3008WFP 30, 8ms response time....? Hows that 2SHY?

See above post for my thoughts or below.

I play my games in window of 1920x1200 and find the games i play CS:S/TF2/L4D/ME/ME2 do just fine. I find there is not a lot of lag on the screen at all. Movies on a large screen look very awesome. I recommend it.

There is a lot of screen real estate to play with I though multi-monitor was good. But this is better imho.

hes got a HD4870x2 so I doubt its an FPS issue, probably more like he has trouble taking in everything on the screen.

Yes that is the reason i play in a window. Screen is too big to play fullscreen. Plus i can put a small browser window next to it so i can multi task during a gaming session.

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but Input Lag (as separate from response time) is a big issue with 30" monitors. Whilst you might not be a competitive FPS gamer, on some models the lag is sufficiently huge as to damage the gaming experience... the Dell 3008 WFP being a particularly bad offender with the Samsung 305 and HP LP3065 being close behind. If you can find a Dell 3007 WFP, that would be a lot better, whilst the U2711 would also be pretty decent.

See above, i haven't noticed any lag as a result of using my Dell 3008WFP 30".

What are these hi-res 27" and 30" monitors like in comparison to similarly priced HDTVs, image quality wise? A hooj monitor is generally more useful to me, but spending the money on a ~40" LCD TV might be a better option if it's really going to be better for watching blu-rays and stuff.

What are these hi-res 27" and 30" monitors like in comparison to similarly priced HDTVs, image quality wise? A hooj monitor is generally more useful to me, but spending the money on a ~40" LCD TV might be a better option if it's really going to be better for watching blu-rays and stuff.

Text looks crappy for starts and the colours just aren't the same. I had the same great idea when i bought my 40"

Everything looks better on my 22" lol.

Text looks crappy for starts and the colours just aren't the same. I had the same great idea when i bought my 40"

Everything looks better on my 22" lol.

My Dell 3008WFP 30" is a lot sharper than my 50" Plasma. When i plugged a laptop into the TV it just is not as a good

the pixels per inch would be a lot lower on a 40" screen since you are stretching a 1920x1080 image across a much larger surface area hence why text looks crap.

Yeah, I gathered this would be the case for PC usage, but will a HDTV look better playing a blu-ray, or would the monitor be better? That would probably be my main use of a large screen, I think, so the money would probably be better spent on a good 10 or 20 extra inches.

I ve had a Dell 3008WFP HC 30 for over a year now, the colours are great, I’ve never got any lag from any games, HD looks so real it isn’t funny :-)

I get depressed when I go to work and sit in front of my 2x24 LCDs, personally the more res u can get for your $$$ can only help in the years to come, hey it might not be a 100hz LCD, it might not be able to show/play 3D movies, but it’s a wicked LCD that will not disappoint u

Agreed. I too have a Dell 30" monitor. I've had it for several years now after upgrading it from a Dell 24" monitor.

The 2560x1600 resolution is brilliant for both gaming and work.

Recommended.

If I had a chance to upgrade, I'd probably get another one of these monitors, although my desk might run out of space with 2 x 30" monitors taking up most of the surface. It's a problem I could live with, though.

I ve had a Dell 3008WFP HC 30 for over a year now, the colours are great, I’ve never got any lag from any games, HD looks so real it isn’t funny :-)

But they're just sooooooo expensive.

But they're just sooooooo expensive.

Worth every cent tho, i got mine with a discount and it came in @ $1899