bruce_13

Windows 7 Network Problem

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on my network. I have a Bilion 7401 VoIP modem/router. It was working OK until I tried to set up a TPG TL-WR941ND wireless router into the network. Now Windows 7 shows the network as an unidentified network and will not connect at all. I have disconnected the wireless router but the problem is still there. I can connect with my laptop running XP Professional. The troubleshooter was coming up with the message 'Local area connection" doesn't have valid IP configuration. I have tried assigning IP configuration but that doesn't seem to work, maybe I am doing it wrong. I have a second computer connected via LAN after the initial problems and it shows the same message. Can anyone help? By the way I just updated the firmware on my Billion Router.

I used the diagnose button which attempts to repair the problem.

Now that I have the IP address etc set manually Diagnose can't identify any problems

What did you set your ip, subnet mask and default gw to? Probably best setting it back to automatic, and see if you can at least connect back to your router. When thats working, plug the wireless router directly into your computer, and disable DHCP, and assign an IP address other than your main router (then setup wireless security etc..). Once this is done plug your main router back in and then the wireless router into one of the ports on your main router.

So basically your ip address scheme should be something like this -

router
ip - 192.168.1.1
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
dhcp - ENABLED

wireless router
ip - 192.168.1.2
subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
dhcp - DISABLED

pc 1,2,3 etc - should get ip from router

Hope that all makes sense!

Cheers

Hi thanks Mattym

I thought I had solved the problem - I did a complete reinstall with Windows 7 Ultimate. All seemed to be OK till I began installing upgrades and virtual machine. Then I lost the network again same problem. I did 2 system restores and got network back. I have now set windows update to install when asked. Hopefully this will allow me to find the offending update.

When I get to deal with the wireless router I will try your settings.

Bruce

I take it you got the TL-WR941ND because you have a wireless N adaptor as the 7401 has wireless G built in.

Two ways to set up the network with a modem/router and router.

1) Put the modem in bridge mode and get the new router to do all the PPPOA/PPPOE connecting, routing and NAT stuff. Using this method the modem cannot be used for anything except modem duties. So you cannot connect to it's wireless or ethernet ports with any computers.

2) Leave the modem as is and configure the TL-WR941ND as a dumb access point.

To do this log on to the modem and set it's DHCP range to less than the full range. EG for my setup my modem IP is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP range is 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100 (100 IP addresses should be plenty for any home use). Once that is done, connect the router to the PC and log on to it. Set it's LAN IP to fixed and set 192.168.1.49 (for example) as the IP, save and reboot. Log on to the router again with the new IP configure wireless security and turn off DHCP. Apply changes and reboot the router if needed.

Ok now connect an ethernet cable from a modem LAN port to one of the router LAN ports not the WAN port.

Router should now be in AP mode and the Billion does all the DHCP stuff etc. Router will basically be transparent to the network and acts like a dumb switch and wireless access point.

My 7401 is not a wireless version otherwise I wouldn't have worried about another router but since I needed wireless I thought I might as well get one suitable for HD video streaming from my HTPC. Assuming I can get Windows 7 to maintain my network I will try to get the modem and router set up soon.

Thanks

My 7401 is not a wireless version otherwise I wouldn't have worried about another router but since I needed wireless I thought I might as well get one suitable for HD video streaming from my HTPC. Assuming I can get Windows 7 to maintain my network I will try to get the modem and router set up soon.

Thanks

Oops my bad thought all the 7401 series had wireless.

The network dropped out again last night so I formatted C drive and reinstalled Windows 7. Still showed unknown network. I rebooted it, installed the motherboard drivers (Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4) and rebooted, still no joy.

This morning I wanted to check the network card status, turned it on and there was home network. I didn't have time to check any further but it will probably drop out again.

Does anyone know how windows identifies home network and how I can force it to use a given network as home network?

When it shows unknown network I am unable to use this network as home network.

I sometimes have a problem with my billion router... All it needs is a reboot and it seems ok. Have you tried power cycling your devices? if that still fails, try a linux live cd - at least that can and will rule out any OS problems.

My network has been unavailable foe 4 days now. I have checked various sites and forums for solutions. Most of them involve resetting the network in some way which I imagine resets some internal network settings if you are lucky. I am hoping someone can help me find the correct way to reset the network to home network without the hit and miss solutions I have seen in other places.

Thanks

Bruce

go into network and sharing centre and underneath "View your active networks" you should see network 1 (could be 2 or 3 etc) and click the hyperlink just underneath that. That will let you choose public / work / home network.

Thanks Mattym

I tried that last night but couldn't get it to work.

I eventually tried a Thompson modem from Telstra that I don't use as it is not VoIP. Finally it recognised the network.

I noticed the IP addresses given seemed to be in IP6 format. Could the problem be the old modem has a problem with IP6 IP addresses? It still networks with XP machines. Windows 7 is now working on my old modem but as soon as I try to connect anything else I loose network connection with windows 7

A follow up for anyone interested.

My nephew came to visit (NB. don't try to build a computer without one) after checking all the settings and trying all the same things I did he looked at the ethernet cable. The connections looked a little worn so I tried a new one now everything works. By the way my nephew is an IT graduate.

So if all else fails check the cabling!!!

Bruce