nexus_one

Problem with Gigabyte H55M-S2H

Hey guys,

Build up a system for a friend at the moment using the following:

Gigabyte H55M-S2H

i7 860

4GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz

500GB SATA HDD

So far I have bench tested this system and it will not boot yet alone POST :( As it powers on it gives 3 very fast beeps and thats it, wont go further than that... have tried removing the RAM, reseating the CPU, changed PSU, used a 9500GT PCI-e x2 card and nothing...

Anyone else had issues with this board or can someone suggest what i can do. Have tested with 3 different boards in case the motherboard was DOA but no luck what so ever... HELP

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ok lets see, you have tried another GPU with no luck, 3 different motherboards no luck. So that leaves the CPU, the PSU, and the ram, so if you can test with a known working stick of ram and you still have no luck, then that narrows it down to the CPU/PSU. So testing with another PSU will help you decide if it is the CPU or the PSU yes ?

Hey bowiee,

Figured it out... well i think i figured it out anyway... :P That board is designed to be used with the new i5 and i3 with the CPU taking care of the graphics side of business and when using the i7 860 (which does not have the GPU support) the system will not boot...? So i got a 8400GS out of stock and used that and it boots fine but will not boot using the onboard graphics... strange but at least I got it to work. I do not know if I am right but the CPU/GPU thing seems to be what was causing all the crap.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Cheers

Hey bowiee,

Figured it out... well i think i figured it out anyway... :P That board is designed to be used with the new i5 and i3 with the CPU taking care of the graphics side of business and when using the i7 860 (which does not have the GPU support) the system will not boot...? So i got a 8400GS out of stock and used that and it boots fine but will not boot using the onboard graphics... strange but at least I got it to work. I do not know if I am right but the CPU/GPU thing seems to be what was causing all the crap.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Cheers

I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

Hi mate

the issue is that there is no graphics onboard unless you use an i3/i5 CPU so people installing i7 chip in the board and plugging into onboard ports will confuse some...Those display ports are just an interface for the integrated GPU for i3/i5 nothing more nothing less :)

dinos22

Just remember tho, the i5 750 doesn't have graphics either.....

People should really say i3 300 series, i5 500 series.