Sign in to follow this  
jdee71

14 days to go

My pc just popped up with a message saying to backup files cause in 14 days the trial is expiring.

Looks like I better get my butt in gear and upgrade the pc and buy a licensed copy.

My pc just popped up with a message saying to backup files cause in 14 days the trial is expiring.

Looks like I better get my butt in gear and upgrade the pc and buy a licensed copy.

And to add, you'll be back on Atomic in no time. ;)

I thought it was the RC that was ending, and the Beta some time ago?

Or are they both ending at the same time?

i'm still on the RC and its ending in a few days time too. Does anyone know what happens at the expiry period? I'm to poor to afford an upgrade, so might have to go back to vista... and I'm spewing double because the olds PC has the RC version to, which means I'll need to do a couple of reinstalls :(

I was thinking of going linux as a main OS, but for some reason my fedora 12 setup keeps freezing up for some reason.. and by freeze I mean complete lockup! And I thought windows was meant to be shitty...

Here's a strange general question, is there a patch that will allow you to turn the RC into a "proper" edition of 7 if you have a license key?

I'm guessing it's against the EULA or something, but I'm just curious as to whether a patch like that is in existence.

[edit]: It appears people it takes a tweak in the registry and a tweak of a file on the DVD, and then you're flying. You still need the correct media though.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Here's a strange general question, is there a patch that will allow you to turn the RC into a "proper" edition of 7 if you have a license key?

I'm guessing it's against the EULA or something, but I'm just curious as to whether a patch like that is in existence.

[edit]: It appears people it takes a tweak in the registry and a tweak of a file on the DVD, and then you're flying. You still need the correct media though.

Rob.

Yeah, you can 'upgrade' from RC to RTM by tricking the installer into thinking RC is an acceptable upgrade target.

If by 'fix' you mean 'an illegal workaround which will leave you with an incomplete OS with no security updates and thus a vulnerable PC', then you are correct.

If by 'fix' you mean 'an illegal workaround which will leave you with an incomplete OS with no security updates and thus a vulnerable PC', then you are correct.

Hence why the word "fix" was written as "fix", because i didn't consider it a legitimate option, I guess it's harder to convey sarcasm in the written word.

Furthemore, only technically incomplete as the Windows Activation Technology is removed but apparently all the updates still work.

I'm sure MS will release a patch to resolve this though, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a mention.