Alan Wake PC Officially cancelled

Alan Wake PC Officially cancelled

Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Author: Joe Martin

Published: 12th February 2010

Comments (110)

Email to a friend

Stumble

Microsoft has officially cancelled the PC version of Alan Wake because the platform is "too intimate" for the game.

Microsoft has officially cancelled plans to release Alan Wake on the PC, ruining the hopes of fans who had hoped the game would not remain an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Although Alan Wake was originally announced as a PC exclusive title five years ago, Remedy announced it was changing focus to make the game an Xbox 360 title last July. Since then it's been unclear whether a PC version would also be released, until Microsoft gave a certain no earlier today.

Interestingly, Microsoft claims that the PC version has been cancelled because the PC platform is "too intimate".

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," a Microsoft spokesperson told Strategy Informer.

"We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

Microsoft announced a May 21st release date for the Xbox 360 exclusive earlier today

sigh....ironic that the game designed for quad core pc's isn't going that way at all. Console exclusives make me sad.

Interestingly, Microsoft claims that the PC version has been cancelled because the PC platform is "too intimate".

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," a Microsoft spokesperson told Strategy Informer.

We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Just trying to shore up their XBOX platform and the subscription income that comes with a Live gold membership.

+1

It's no suprise, they were being coy for a long time about the PC version. Given this is such a graphically intense game involving world exploration, I'd much rather enjoy it in an intimate setting - the PC it was made for.

I have posted my madness in the console section.

But ill say it again.

This was a game worth getting, all the time in making it look great for the PC, down the drain. All that art and style put into the game looking graphic for the PC, down the drain. A Big fan base, down the drain.

Bullshit.

WTF? No, really, WTF????

I remember watching the tech demonstration (Alan Wake Tech Demo) and it was "we need quad core, blah, blah... optimised for quad core... blah, blah... we had to overclock this quad core to run the game... blah, blah...". And now it's on the XBOX only? ummmmm..... Did I miss something here? or is there a new XBOX 720 I missed on the news??????

To be honest I thought the game was going to go the way of DNF actually. It has been in development for a very long time.

I can't say I am entirely surprised to hear this, as it has been mired in development for a long time now. Bloody shame, though, it's not often that news like this could be considered a good thing for the industry or gaming fans.

"too intimate" for the game.

Translation: "Our game is only good enough to satisfy the console whores who play 20mins a day and doesn't expect decent content and innovative gameplay, the PC crowd will laugh us out of the market so we're better of sticking with ripping off the gullible portion of gamers."

WTF? No, really, WTF????

I remember watching the tech demonstration (Alan Wake Tech Demo) and it was "we need quad core, blah, blah... optimised for quad core... blah, blah... we had to overclock this quad core to run the game... blah, blah...". And now it's on the XBOX only? ummmmm..... Did I miss something here? or is there a new XBOX 720 I missed on the news??????

After watching this, it makes me sad to see this go to waste.

I can't see this masterpiece only go on the Xbox, fucking gay I reckon.

Translation: "Our game is only good enough to satisfy the console whores who play 20mins a day and doesn't expect decent content and innovative gameplay, the PC crowd will laugh us out of the market so we're better of sticking with ripping off the gullible portion of gamers."

Hey even if all consoles are crap (especially the wii, what a waste of fucking money) it still doesn't change that they are a viable money making venture due to the crowd that faps over them. Edited by nesquick

I'm positive i remember hearing some journalists say they were dissapointed with the gameplay demo at some gaming show,maybe E3. Although,it could of been another game.

Either way,it sucks that another pc game has been lost to the console market. I can see the quality of games diminishing in this next decade

Hey even if all consoles are crap (especially the wii, what a waste of fucking money) it still doesn't change that they are a viable money making venture due to the crowd that faps over them.

hey even Wii has its uses, it introduces the older generations to gaming and also pushes the next gen consoles to put more focus on interactive controllers. If the graphics were up to scratch, it would be my console of choice. But I digress.

The problem now is that developers are shifting focus on to consoles because its increased market share and console crowds are easier to please. What they fail to realize is that they're cutting their own throats by refusing to challenge themselves. PC is the ultimate proving ground. Make a great game on the PC and it well sale just as well on consoles, plus it sets new standards for competitors to catch up.

There hasnt been a great game since Deus Ex as far as I'm concerned :P

Would be interesting to see how much Mass Effect 2 sold on PC.

The problem now is that developers are shifting focus on to consoles because its increased market share and console crowds are easier to please. What they fail to realize is that they're cutting their own throats by refusing to challenge themselves. PC is the ultimate proving ground. Make a great game on the PC and it well sale just as well on consoles, plus it sets new standards for competitors to catch up.

Yea I totally agree, this is what valve does thought don't they? develop the game for PC then port it to the consoles?

Yea I totally agree, this is what valve does thought don't they? develop the game for PC then port it to the consoles?

Kinda.

They only do ports to the 360, they commissioned EA to do the PS3 ports of The Orange Box and L4D2, because Gabe Newell said theres no point learning to code for it, because theyll never develop for it.

There hasnt been a great game since Deus Ex as far as I'm concerned :P

More than 3 million copies me thinks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2#Sales

Guess that just goes to show that if a game is good, it will sell on PC regardless. I bet with all the 360 sales and PC sales combined, they have gotten back more than they spent on it?

I couldn't find any really definitive numbers for PC but it did pretty fucking well on Xbox considering it was only out for 5 days of the month, imagine if they had it on PS3 as well...

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6250305.html

TOP-SELLING SOFTWARE SKUs - JANUARY 2010

Title / Platform / Publisher / Units**

1) New Super Mario Bros. Wii / Wii / Nintendo / 656,700

2) Mass Effect 2 / X360 / Electronic Arts / 572,100

3) Wii Fit Plus w/ Balance Board / Wii / Nintendo / 555,700

4) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 / X360 / Activision / 326,700

5) Mario Kart Wii w/Wheel / Wii / Nintendo / 310,900

6) Wii Sports Resort w/Wii MotionPlus / Wii / Nintendo / 297,600

7) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 / PS3 / Activision / 259,000

8) Army of Two: The 40th Day / X360 / Electronic Arts / 246,500

9) Just Dance / Wii / Ubisoft / 191,900

10) Darksiders / X360 / THQ / 171,200

Another problem with developing for consoles: the improvements are incremental. You're a lot less likely to get a game like Portal developed, made and distributed for console than PC. The cost is simply too much and you have to wade through all the BS negotiation with the console makers, bad for the indies. Tech updates much slower on consoles than on PC, hamstrings innovations.

Edited by Oracle X

I honestly think they are doing this because of xbox sales, 360 sales have dropped and are being outsold by ps3. PS3 have a fair few exclusive titles out between now and April 360 don't.

the console players ruin it again for us..damn console players!!!! someone invent a serious virus that makes all consoles play up terribly and teach em a lesson

As said, it sounds like a Duke Nukem Forever development path and this is a desperate move to try and get something to market.

As said, it sounds like a Duke Nukem Forever development path and this is a desperate move to try and get something to market.

ZOMG! Latest news!

Microsoft has announced that Alan Wake will now be exclusive to the Phantom!

:-P

I dont think so, the PC develpment was in doubt for quite some time, and may 2010 has been floating around as a release date for the last 24 months atleast.