Sign in to follow this  
Kastoli

Good Internets...

Anyone know of a QLD ISP that provides reasonably priced, unlimited, unshaping internets with no additonal costs and damn near 100% uptime and reliability?

I'm not asking for much hey?

On that note... any ISP in Australia.

No dramas with TPG here.

They will shape you though if you go over, and you can't buy extra downloads, you have to upgrade your plan. The alternative is to get charged for extra downloads, but that means additional costs.

However, they have pretty much the best bang for buck plans imo, and don't charge for static ip.

I used to live right near an exchange in Newmarket, god that was great then, but now I'm out in the burbs and in between exchanges, (so I get pretty crappy speeds for ADSL2), but it's been reliable.

Edited by Periander

Exetel is the only place that I know of that doesn't shape you, they have a cap but you just pay for w/e you go over but the caps are high like 20gig peak 60gig offpeak or something..

Yeah, I'm stuck on ADSL1 with Telstra Bigpond atm... barely download over 100kb/s, paying about $70 for 25gb. Thought i'de ask around see if anyone knew of anything amazing. Lol.

if your line is adsl 2 activated then you could probably get a better deal elsewhere.

I'm on 8mbit Exetel um real performance my dls off steam exceed 600KByte/s I pay the same as you for 25peak and 50ish off peak

I guess any decision you make also would involve you terminating a contract with telstra?

Have been with telstra for years, and years and years. Our contract has certainly expired and we've just kept sitting on the same plan.

None of the ISP websites list my exchange as ADSL2 active... though three of my frends are on ADSL2 and using the same exchange.

I've never encountered this peak / offpeak, but the ADSL2 plans are fuckin' cheap... One of the ones i saw on the TPG website was less and had double the downloads at 8+ times the speed ><

Edit:

Ill have to look around more, really looking for somthing like 30 Peak, 30 Offpeak ADSL2; Peak being 8AM - 12PM, and Offpeak the remaining.

Edited by Kastoli

Be sure to take into account line rental with any broadband plan... that is to say, check out possible Naked ADSL plans. iiNet 50/50 on/off GB for $80/month. Plus unlimited free calls to Australian landlines, with no line rental to telslut (or anyone).

$50 a month fpr 100Gig with TPG, they then changed the plan soon after I applied for it.

It is now 120 Gig for $50 a month, bugger.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/ad...lus_pricing.php

Upgrade to the new plan. It costs you nothing, and there's no contract restart.

I believe they have a 'fair use' policy. Might want to check that out before you sign up.

I believe they have a 'fair use' policy. Might want to check that out before you sign up.

I've never seen any evidence of this, even in forum bitching personal testimonial form.

But I'd happily be corrected.

Edited by tantryl

Exetel is the only place that I know of that doesn't shape you, they have a cap but you just pay for w/e you go over but the caps are high like 20gig peak 60gig offpeak or something..

They don't really have a cap anymore (off-peak, anyway). They're the cheapest, they were reliable for me for the last 6 months. Highly recommended, even if you don't like the dude running the show.

Plus you get a shit load of extras (30 free sms' came in handy for me).

I've never seen any evidence of this

Nor have I, but I bet it won't be long before they draft one.

I've never seen any evidence of this, even in forum bitching personal testimonial form.

AFAIK, no one has had any issues. I don't even know if it applies to this specific plan, but I thought I should point it out.

AFAIK, no one has had any issues. I don't even know if it applies to this specific plan, but I thought I should point it out.

Wasn't an member here complaining about AAPT's billing recently?

Pretty sure they had a really headache trying to get them to sort it out.

At least I'm 99% sure it was AAPT.

But that was a billing issue, not a 'fair use' issue with internet speed/limits, right?

I'm not saying they've got good service. I wouldn't say that of any ISP, barring maybe WestNet. And frankly that'd be old info, I haven't dealt with them much in the last 3-4 years.

Just trying to answer the OPs question.

Edited by tantryl

Fair enough.

But like I said, dunno if I'd expect any ISP to be all that useful if a billing issue occured :P

Fair enough.

But like I said, dunno if I'd expect any ISP to be all that useful if a billing issue occured :P

I hear ya, mate :)

Though some are better than others, I think.

An example would be 'Telstra are not one of the better ones' :P

As a customer of Bigpond, due to a situational issue where I can only get cable (pair gain = no ADSL) in WA (no Optus cable), I completely understand that statement :)

Anyone know of a QLD ISP that provides reasonably priced, unlimited, unshaping internets with no additonal costs and damn near 100% uptime and reliability?

I'm not asking for much hey?

On that note... any ISP in Australia.

I don't think there is such a beast in Australia.

Yeah, I'm stuck on ADSL1 with Telstra Bigpond atm... barely download over 100kb/s, paying about $70 for 25gb. Thought i'de ask around see if anyone knew of anything amazing. Lol.

At that speed, you're not going to use that 25GB in a month in a hurry.