Sign in to follow this  
Kastoli

Good Internets...

Yeah, I'm stuck on ADSL1 with Telstra Bigpond atm... barely download over 100kb/s, paying about $70 for 25gb. Thought i'de ask around see if anyone knew of anything amazing. Lol.

At that speed, you're not going to use that 25GB in a month in a hurry.

Err WTF? I am on 1500/256 and I manage to use all my 40Gb a month with no problems, and uploads are not counted in my plan either.

Yeah, I'm stuck on ADSL1 with Telstra Bigpond atm... barely download over 100kb/s, paying about $70 for 25gb. Thought i'de ask around see if anyone knew of anything amazing. Lol.

Err WTF? I am on 1500/256 and I manage to use all my 40Gb a month with no problems, and uploads are not counted in my plan either.

Sounds like you BitTorrent :D

Normal usage without BT should not destroy 25Gb quickly.

Edited by Jeruselem

Not quickly, but the speed and limit don't allow me to download things... or even watch yourtube and remain uncapped. Keeping in mind there is almost 24/7 use of my internet by between 1 & 4 parties. (Yeah, my whole family has their own computers)

If I really download anything, out of the ordinary say 1-3gb of a game or somthing I will cap during the last week, though it may seem very trivial to be capped for such a short period its really, really, really annoying...

On that note... what I actually came here to post was:

Does anyone know how to tell which exchange you're using? I know several people living in my area all of which have ADSL2+ except, none of the ISP websites list my phone number as being able to recieve ADSL2+. If I could figure out a way seperate from the ISPs information about which exchance i'm using I could figure if its not just their information that is out of date, and If i can actually get ADSL2+.

Something like that. and yes you could destroy 25Gb without that or Usenet. Youtube and the like can chew through the data too. In fact I can go through 300 or 400 Mb a day just browsing etc.

Not quickly, but the speed and limit don't allow me to download things... or even watch yourtube and remain uncapped. Keeping in mind there is almost 24/7 use of my internet by between 1 & 4 parties. (Yeah, my whole family has their own computers)

If I really download anything, out of the ordinary say 1-3gb of a game or somthing I will cap during the last week, though it may seem very trivial to be capped for such a short period its really, really, really annoying...

On that note... what I actually came here to post was:

Does anyone know how to tell which exchange you're using? I know several people living in my area all of which have ADSL2+ except, none of the ISP websites list my phone number as being able to recieve ADSL2+. If I could figure out a way seperate from the ISPs information about which exchance i'm using I could figure if its not just their information that is out of date, and If i can actually get ADSL2+.

Try putting your phone number in to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ to see what's available.

Also http://www.yourbroadband.com.au/

If you can get Bigpond you can get the Internode resold Telstra wholesale plans like Easy Broadband (50Gb for $50.00 uploads counted to the total allowance) at 1500/256 or their Fast plans (if ADSL 2+ is enabled).

Also can you pull your SNR, attenuation and attainable line rates from your modem and post them up? These figures will determine if you can actually benefit from a faster plan or will just be wasting money for no actual speed increase.

EG I can get ADSL 2+ here but partly due to cost and partly due to

SNR Margin (dB): 22 28

Attenuation ( dB): 61 30

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3680 1132

it is not really worth it as the max speed I would get is 3680, or a bit over twice a 1500 so not worth the massive price increase.

For the really budget plans the ISP providing them will need to have their own DSLAM in your exchange.

Well, I'm looking at a 20/20 TPG plan for $40, and that doesn't count my uploads... :O So i can 'seed' torrents all I like i guess.

Going to ring up and see what Telstra can offer me to stay. Wish me lucks.

In about three days, according to my calculations.

Well, I'm looking at a 20/20 TPG plan for $40, and that doesn't count my uploads... :O So i can 'seed' torrents all I like i guess.

Going to ring up and see what Telstra can offer me to stay. Wish me lucks.

Like I said before if you are only getting about 100kbps download then you need to see what your modem stats are before applying for a faster plan.

If your max attainable rate is low due to high attenuation or low SNR then getting a faster plan will make zero difference to your download speed.

Also if your sync is at or above 1500k then you have no out from your ADSL 2+ contract, so check what speeds your line actually supports before signing up for anything.