Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

HTPC's with an SSD

It's getting time to start considering what I really want in a HTPC. I would be looking at running Mythbuntu. The thing is because its almost entirely interface driven this leads me to believe an SSD would have a fantastic increase in browsing performance. However I would still record TV to a HDD, and probably a 640gb 2.5" drive.

Would I see any benefit. I would think this would depend on if the HTPC software indexed the 2.5" drive so that atleast thumbnails of vids, cd covers and images were on the ssd. But I'm not entirely sure if thats the way they work.

I doubt it would work effectively.

cause your still indexing a slower drive which would take the same amount of time reguardless if it was ssd or not, but then again i have no fucking idea.

I would think this would depend on if the HTPC software indexed the 2.5" drive so that atleast thumbnails of vids, cd covers and images were on the ssd.

Anything is possible - You could create a symlink from the usual directory(s) where these things are stored to a directory on the SSD to achieve this. This is conceptually similar to mounting a network fileshare to a drive letter under windows, except using a local partition instead of a network share as the mountpoint.

I don't think you'll gain any perceptable speed improvents once the system has booted, though I'd expect you could speed up the system boot time by using a SSD.

The best use for a SSD would be if you run a small frontend set top box with SSD drive and a remote Backend over the local network. This could produce a small, silent set top box with the gruntwork being done on a server away from the viewing area.

I don't find any significant delay loading Thumbnails , Images orAlbum Covers with a Samsung 500GB drive.

Have a read of my two MythTV threads if you've not already done so, It might give you a bit more information to work with.

Let me know if you have any questions after reading these threads.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=12800

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...c=27924&hl=