Caelum

But What Has Really Changed?

That's okay, you can ride your bike to Brisbane. I'll ride MY GIRLFRIEND instead. That's right, MY GIRLFRIEND. Tell you what, instead of harping on about exercise and how overclocking is SO below your status as a toy laptop enthusiast, how about getting off Trackmania for five minutes, putting down the vodka bottle, and going and meeting a member of the opposite sex? DID THAT EVER OCCUR TO YOU, JERKFACE?

:P

This is a little out of the ordinary, you know. I'm normally the one writing lengthy diatribes on the nature of Atomic :P

You dont know that i've been seeing someone?

Old news man... get with the times :P

I'm sure there's something appropriate to say at this point. Congratulatory remarks, or perhaps an invitation to bring her along this weekend.

But I think I'll stick with 'pics or it didn't happen'.

:)

I rather enjoyed that, get off my back !?! :)

I don't think an IT pro board would really be a good idea, so many pros.....

I, as Caelum well knows, make my living in IT, and have for years, but, he can usually fix me a small problem faster than I can, then again, he probably could not haul in the business I do... It's an odd industry, I tend to sit on the margins, depends how much time I have :)

Cheers

:)

I rather enjoyed that, get off my back !?! :)

I don't think an IT pro board would really be a good idea, so many pros.....

I, as Caelum well knows, make my living in IT, and have for years, but, he can usually fix me a small problem faster than I can, then again, he probably could not haul in the business I do... It's an odd industry, I tend to sit on the margins, depends how much time I have :)

Cheers

by 'fix a small problem faster than you' i can only assume you're talking about the PC you had laying around for 6+ months doing nothing ;oP

But hey, i'm happy to know my place... you bring in the business, i'll fix it all up.... then we both get on our respective yachts and sail through the bahamas.... sounds like a plan!

We'll have to talk this weekend... got a couple of things to discuss ;o)

:-)

Interesting Post there :-)

Seeing as you singled out very few groups, I would like to take it upon myself to speak for the overclocking community. The first thing you must know about overclocking is that it doesn’t necessarily mean the CPU. One can overclock the CPU, GPU, RAM – people have even been known to overclock their hard disk drives (by manually upping the RPM). Strangely I sense that your post is directed at overclocking the CPU, only. It’s common sense that when you overclock your graphics card, you get a higher frame rate in, not only benchmarks, but all games.

Back in the old days, when graphics cards were pitiful compared to today’s ones, you would notice that games didn’t require that much off the GPU. As such, the performance of the GPU was not exactly far ahead of the CPU – whereas now days, GPUs are surpassing the power of CPUs wish ease and multiple times over. It’s easy to see with the number of transistors on a graphics card compared to that of a CPU – basically GPU power is far ahead of CPU power.

What does this mean, exactly?

Well, basically there is a bottleneck. I’m sure many of you have heard this term before but I know that many of you do not believe in this superstition. Basically a bottleneck happens when the something in the PC is holding back something else. The data flow is only as much as the slowest component (or the neck of a bottle). Due to this, GPU performance is not as good as it can be, and by overclocking the CPU, you can get the most out of your graphics card. Of course, you would need to determine if there is a bottleneck in the first place. Using a modern day graphics card like an HD 4870 or HD 4870 X2 would certainly be bottlenecked by a modern day, general processing unit.

Because of this, overclocking your CPU will give you a higher frame rate in games.

Also, note that the CPU optimisation for more than one core also impacts on this theory – there is a lot of detail into this whole explanation.

Why do I overclock, as well? Well, one thing I love is cutting my video encoding on my quad core from 2hours to 1 and a half hours. Overclocking does give a tangible difference in performance. I recommend that everyone do it or at least try it. General windows processing becomes faster as well, things start up faster, close faster. Shutting down and booting is faster – there are many reasons one should overclock, these are just a few.

Benchmarking is something a lot of people like to do, and believe it or not, synthetic benchmarking does give an overall system performance analysis to predict how a computer will perform in games.

Piece,

FB

I think that just re-affirmed what he said....

Yeah, pretty much.

I liked how he told me about overclocking like i knew nothing about it. He should write an overclocking guide for noobs.

Yeah, pretty much.

I liked how he told me about overclocking like i knew nothing about it. He should write an overclocking guide for noobs.

He also used 'Piece' incorrectly.

Not that I should point out other peoples mistakes or anything.

:P~

Nice post BTW man, good to see you're back :-)

Does this mean no more IRC visits?

Or can we expect you to keep popping in?

Narh, i'll still idle.

I changed my undies today, does that count?

You only changed them cos i made you jizz in them last night.

My apologies if it came off that way, I realise that sometimes I can waffle a bit in too much detail. But my point still stands that overclocking does give a tangible benefit in games and more so in other processes such as rendering, encoding, extraction, compression and of course in general OS processing.

You may personally not see the benefits, depending on what you do, but that’s no reason to say that there’s no point at all, besides synthetic benchmarking. :-)

Cheers

I don't think that i said there is NO point of doing it.. For me there wasn't.

I don't encode - and honestly, if i did, i'd just be leaving it running overnight, rather than tie up my system during my waking hours.

There are legitimate reasons that a kid might want to overclock, and you've mentioned a few... but there are the kids out there that overclock to be cool. to get some kind of status amongst other overclockers, so they can bask in their own glory.

As i mentioned, i used to overclock. I pushed things harder than they were ever supposed to go, CPUs, graphics, RAM, etc... But i soon realised, even in games, the performance increase was generally pretty slim... With one exception - my graphics card. But that was shit to start with(ATI 9550, cut down 9600 core, crappy ram), so that's hardly a surprise :P

However... this is getting slightly off track - i think you missed the point i was trying to make....

Who cares if you clocked your C2D up to 4.5GHz... What did YOU get out of it? No really. What TANGIBLE benefits did you get? Did your sex life suddenly improve? Making lots of money? Bring back your grandparents from the dead? More than likely you got nothing out of it, at all.

Ok, so you can render things faster, play more games, at higher settings, encode faster.... But what does it really achieve? At the end if the day, you're still in your sad little existence...

My apologies if it came off that way, I realise that sometimes I can waffle a bit in too much detail. But my point still stands that overclocking does give a tangible benefit in games and more so in other processes such as rendering, encoding, extraction, compression and of course in general OS processing.

You may personally not see the benefits, depending on what you do, but that’s no reason to say that there’s no point at all, besides synthetic benchmarking. :-)

Cheers

Lets see, buy fast CPU, and be done with it, vs, Buying a cheep cpu, then water-cooling, a high-end mobo, more fans, void warranty, etc. to get the same performance.

Overclocking really doesn't seem to have any benefits, unless ur buying the latest of everything and your warranty means nothing to you

Who cares if you clocked your C2D up to 4.5GHz... What did YOU get out of it? No really. What TANGIBLE benefits did you get? Did your sex life suddenly improve? Making lots of money? Bring back your grandparents from the dead? More than likely you got nothing out of it, at all.

Ok, so you can render things faster, play more games, at higher settings, encode faster.... But what does it really achieve? At the end if the day, you're still in your sad little existence...

Doesn't that apply to everything in life? You could have a well paid job and many tangible assets, but at the end of the day, what have you really achieved? You could equally say that even some of the supposedly more rewarding things, like having a family/raising kids is a waste of time.

It's a hobby/pastime, people do it because it's what they enjoy. I know spending hundreds of hours on building my car, is ultimately a complete waste of time. But out of everything that i've experienced, it's what i enjoy doing the most.

Though, I do agree with you about the elitist nature of some :P

I don't think that i said there is NO point of doing it.. For me there wasn't.

I don't encode - and honestly, if i did, i'd just be leaving it running overnight, rather than tie up my system during my waking hours.

There are legitimate reasons that a kid might want to overclock, and you've mentioned a few... but there are the kids out there that overclock to be cool. to get some kind of status amongst other overclockers, so they can bask in their own glory.

As i mentioned, i used to overclock. I pushed things harder than they were ever supposed to go, CPUs, graphics, RAM, etc... But i soon realised, even in games, the performance increase was generally pretty slim... With one exception - my graphics card. But that was shit to start with(ATI 9550, cut down 9600 core, crappy ram), so that's hardly a surprise :P

However... this is getting slightly off track - i think you missed the point i was trying to make....

I assure that the people that go out of their way to be supreme to other overclockers, are not kids at all. Most of them are in their mid 20's that have a mission, to be the best. IMHO it's comparable to a high school runner, they just wanna be faster, being faster will put them ahead of the rest of the people that run, however what does this actually do for him in other life? Well, pretty much nothing, you have to admit. But then that's what people's passions are, just because some people don't see the benefit, doesn't mean that it's pointless at all (yes I know you're not saying it's pointless at all, but it is for you).

Some people who are not professional overclockers obviously go hard to see what they can do, to be better than others in their range, but this is their passion, you can't judge them for what they want to do, how they live their lives. I'm sure that whatever you enjoy doing, many people will argue that there is no benefit to them, either.

I assure you that overclocking is not all we do, most of us have some form of life whether it be uni, work, being a beach bum, OCing is generally practiced as a hobby, so really, we're definitely not in a sad existence -- we simply do what we enjoy. :-)

Cheers

Lets see, buy fast CPU, and be done with it, vs, Buying a cheep cpu, then water-cooling, a high-end mobo, more fans, void warranty, etc. to get the same performance.

Overclocking really doesn't seem to have any benefits, unless ur buying the latest of everything and your warranty means nothing to you

I admire your ability to know nothing about the subject, but still post :-)

QX9770 - $1700

VS.

Q6600 G0 - $200

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L - $125

PQI DDR2-1066 2GB - $100

Noctua NH-U12 - $50

Total - $475

I just put together 4 components that can allow the CPU to get to 3.4GHz, which would be equal to the performance QX9770, and I did it for 3.5 times less than the CPU alone.

Thanks for trying, though. :-)

You missed the part where the QX9770 has 4MB more L2 cache, and is based off a 45nm process, not 65nm.

I didn't miss that part at all :-)

When the Q9xxx series CPUs came out, they did benchmarks immediately, and showed that clock for clock, the new 45nm were only about 5 - 7% faster in real world performance. To make up this difference, I've added a clock speed of 200MHz = 3.4GHz. -- 6.25% increase in clock speed.

4mb L2 cache is nice on paper, but that's only 2mb of SMART cache per 2 cores, proving to not have the biggest effect known to man.

45nm Fabrication simply means that, besides the power usage and temperatures, you can fit more transistors on the chip -- giving whatever benefit you would generally get from that.

Strangely, I have to think that you already knew this? :-)

Cheers

@Frunj: Lemme alone!