Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
The Prophet

Computer shuts down at 12:15pm If i'm watching TV

Ok, I know my Loungeroom computer has an overheating problem, and shuts down if I try and do too much with it.

Now because of this I went through and disabled virus scans, disabled all scheduled tasks etc during times when i would be watching tv. But still each Saturday when I'm watching a tv show or movie at lunch time, the PC will still shut down around 12:15.

Does anyone know of any scheduled tasks that I may have missed?

Check your TV tuner software settings dude. Some come with the ability to autoshut off a pc at certain times or after a certain amount of time viewing.

Also check windows power settings in case you have a shut down after a certain time of inactivity.

hang on, is it shutting down or crashing... if it's shutting down then it's not overheating

Sorry Crashing. just turns off. (when I do boot and go straight into bios temp is at about 70-80 and I have the auto power off set to 90 Degrees)

Check your TV tuner software settings dude. Some come with the ability to autoshut off a pc at certain times or after a certain amount of time viewing.

Also check windows power settings in case you have a shut down after a certain time of inactivity.

No TV Tuner built in, just used for playing DVD's and AVI files. There is no Auto off, as I leave the PC on 24/7 and it only appears to turn off under heavy use, or at just after 12(noon) if I'm watching a show (usually only sat as I'm at work most days, but have experienced it on other days when I've had time off)

whoa, 80 degrees while just sitting in bios is crazy... are you sure the cpu cooler is seated properly? and if so, are you sure there is enough space (you need probably about 10cm from anyplace it can intake air) around the box?

it's best not to ignore the overheating problem, those temps will quite possibly be damaging your cpu

edit: you could even try drilling holes into the top of the case, then tell people they are speed holes [best application is with a pick-axe]

Edited by lorddalvidiii

You might want to look at the airflow, interior tidiness, dust buildup, heatsink contact, and thermal paste.

I would want to rule those out first, even if that isn't the problem... it could still do with it.

Sorry, that is 80 after restarting from overheating. It usually idles about 55-60. which is still high. I have set the CPU Fan, and adjusted the case fans.

Oh and i found the culprit. at some stage AVG reset itself to run daily at 12:00 noon grrrr. changed back to 12 midnight.

i still think you should be addressing the heat problem

Yep running far too hot. If it is an old Socket 478 system check the HSF retention mechanism. The little plastic bridges that hold the HSF are prone to breaking with age and letting the HSF hang a bit loose.

Posted Image

AVG running should not cause a crash, but it might be the last straw for CPU rising temps.

edit: no, i will stick to, fx your heat problems, no advice for people who don't look after their computer >:|

Edited by lorddalvidiii