Sign in to follow this  

Okay then guys, I need some help, quick...

My other motherboard has shit itself, which y'know, annoying, but I have one of those ex government compaq evo d510 SFF things sitting around...

But theres a problem, As fucking usual, it wont take my graphics card, it fit my ram and processor, but it wont accept my 80g hdd, so im usinga 3.09 GB quantum fireball that i was using as a paperweight... Basically, what I want to know, is there any way to flash the bios without a floppy disk? I chucked them all out a couple of years ago and laugh at the pissy things when i see em, but now I need one, or need to know if somehow I can make the computer flash from a usb drive or something?

If the mobo has shit itself flashing the bios will do diddly squat.

As for flashing without a floppy, depends on the mobo. Some have a key you can press at boot to use and inbuilt flash tool that will read off a USB or even the internal hard drive.

You can also emulate a floppy with a USB flash drive but the mobo has to support booting form USB.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

http://www.thepcspy.com/read/bootable_usb_flash_drive

http://aaltonen.us/2004/03/01/tip-boot-fro...b-key-addendum/

should give you a few tips.

Im not trying to flash the bios on the dead box, what Im trying to do is flash the bios on the compaq, so that it will take my hdd, and then it hopefully should support my processor too... As a sidenote, I have 1 stick of PC3200, and 1 stick of DDR400, are they the same, or will running them slow my system down... whats the story...?

Fuck, I'm gunna have to save my pennies and buy a new box, Im only just now realising how shitty my hardware is...

how about you give us your specs?

maybe one of us can help you out; figure why your pc broke, provide replacements from our junk piles, hell if its even SLIGHTLY recent, some mobos can be had for as little as $30.

The old spec were P4 2.8GHz socket 478b (not sure of core) In a ASROCK P4I65G, 768Mb RAM (512DDR400, 256PC3200) A 256Mb Nvidia card I think 5900... Yeah, I know, shitbox, but its served me pretty well for a few years... Im not much of a gamer, it just gets used for dvds, video files, internet, NFSU2, Stalker SHOC, and burning said dvds... If anyone COULD help out with a replacer board or a second hand system that they would be willinfg to part with (I will pay if necessary), that would be AWESOME!

Im pretty sure it was the board that had had it... The chips in the compaq now running sweet, so's the 512 ram stick with a different 256 pc3200 (it was sitting there already... Pissed that I cant get my hdd to read, Im stuck with 3.09Gb... anyone headed past lyndoch who can drop off a floppy disk so I can flash the bios?

I should mention that I've been away from the actual internal side of computers for a few years, dont know whats out there... What sort of boxen could I build for about $500?

hell if its even SLIGHTLY recent, some mobos can be had for as little as $30.

WHERE, and how old?

aw, cmon, 1shot, thats all i get? you're a fucking atomic legend, for chrissakes!!! You helped me select the parts for a build I did about 5-6 years ago, you seem to be omnipresent on the atomic forums, and all I get is YES?

BTW, why havent you changed your signature in those last years, ya happy with it?

No, I'm not having a go at him/her, Im just high. Thank God.

People change joshkeulen619. Sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst.

To answer your question, yes, PC3200 is equivalent to DDR400. You can see why here.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

what I mean to say, is, sure, its a legends signature, but part of being legendary is occasionally changing a small part of your act/repertoire/dforum posting style and seeing if the fans respond!!! Change it... Get a new fact! GIMME AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION FOR CERTA CITO!

People change joshkeulen619. Sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst.

Okay. Care to explain what THAT means?

a signature for who? me? him? you? I aint changin for no motherfucker. I like the way I am... Aw, hell who am I kidding... My life sucks.

It most cases they change for the worst. For $200ish you could rebuild yourself a decentish system if you cant get it fixed

Or you could just go to umart and pick up a Albatron PM915 M/B intel 915G for $69.

aw, cmon, 1shot, thats all i get?

I answered your question, didn't I?

you're a fucking atomic legend, for chrissakes!!!

Many people wish that that's all I was, instead of an Atomic presence.

You helped me select the parts for a build I did about 5-6 years ago, you seem to be omnipresent on the atomic forums, and all I get is YES?

As I said earlier, I answered your question.

BTW, why havent you changed your signature in those last years, ya happy with it?

I'm not allowed to change it to what I'd like to, how it is now is how it will have to stay.

Seeing as how I'm the mood for answering questions, if you need a motherboard, look in Trademart or on eBay.

As for a whole new 'puter, you could get a low end one for a fairly reasonable price. Check out this thread.

okay, okay... what i was talking about was his tagline, his signature after each of his posts, the one about snipers being more effective? Maybe that could be updated... revamped... something more modern... maybe he could grow a beard n tint it purple, post that as a signature, if possible, i dunno, it COULD be done...

you're a fucking atomic legend, for chrissakes!!! Many people wish that that's all I was, instead of an Atomic presence.

Hows that work? Why cantcha change your thingumadooble, then?

joshkeulen619 do you live near a umart?

What kind of funds do you have available to you?

No funds available until friday, i took a few days off work crook this last week so just had enough to pay the rent/ buy food/cigs/weed/beer/bus ticket... as of friday most likely have $150-$200 spare, no Umart anywhere near that I know of, Im in Lyndoch SA (barossa)

Hows that work? Why cantcha change your thingumadooble, then?

The FAQ says so.

We also ask that you observe good community etiquette and not promote any competitor site to Atomic.

Fair enough skip the weed and the cigs and we will be able to do something for you.

Are you competent in building PC's?

Can we keep this on topic to please.

People get a little testy when you go off topic around here, don't they? Yes, I am competent in building, Built my last 3, Had to constantly screw with the first couple...

We also ask that you observe good community etiquette and not promote any competitor site to Atomic.

I don't know what that is about, unless its about umart, in which case mudg3 said it first...

And I am a smoker, who is trying to quit, but i dont tell you to skip the oxygen, so dont tell me to skip the cigs... As for weed, its a weekend thing since i started working again, and I bloody like it.

I do notice you said nothing about skipping the beer... Why is a beer more socially acceptable than smoking? How often does a cigarette cause a fight, and how often does alcohol start fights? But... I digress...

DEEP breath...

Back On To Topic.

Can Anyone Help?

People get a little testy when you go off topic around here, don't they? Yes, I am competent in building, Built my last 3, Had to constantly screw with the first couple...

I don't know what that is about, unless its about umart, in which case mudg3 said it first...

It's about not linking to other forums.

Back On To Topic.

Can Anyone Help?

What more help do you need? Aliali already gave you advice about flashing the BIOS. You've already received an answer about your RAM question. You've been shown a thread about what parts to buy for a cheap(ish) PC.

LOL What?

How about you check out http://www.pccasegear.com as they can ship to you and have good prices

AMD Athlon II X2 240 $69

G.Skill F3-10600CL9S-2GBNT (1x2GB) DDR3 $66

Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 mATX Motherboard $76.00

Sub-Total: $211.00

What PSU do you have? Case?

yeah, 1shot, i probably got the answer i needed from aliali, but i tried my memory stick, and somehow thats dead...

And i didnt link to another forum, did I?

PSU is a black energy 550/650, case is huge, 5 hdd bays, 4 cd bays, 1 fdd bay, pretty sure standard atx mountings...