Sign in to follow this  

Have you tested the machine with another PSU?

Have a look at my recommendation for a new machine also the parts guide posted is a great resource.

ok, cool... um, i know im being a pain in the ass, but is there a similarly priced intel solution? Ive never owned an AMD, and hadnt really intended to...

But if its that cheap, I cant see a reason not to... I dunno, is there a cost effective intel solution?

Cant test the rig with another psu, the only p4 compatible psu here is a compaq one thats way shorter than a standard p4 compatible... so i guess its not p4 compatible... um... anyways, Im pretty much thinking of going that way, buying a new case, new psu, do the whole thing in 2 weeks once ive got some pennies together... and try and get it working just enough to dump the bastard on cash converters... lol.

ok, cool... um, i know im being a pain in the ass, but is there a similarly priced intel solution? Ive never owned an AMD, and hadnt really intended to...

But if its that cheap, I cant see a reason not to... I dunno, is there a cost effective intel solution?

Yes, there is. I'm sure I've already provided a link to this thread.

Ah, sorry, 1shot, I didnt spot this:

Low Budget gamer

CPU E5300 2.6Ghz 2MB $68

MB Asus P5QL-SE p43 $84

RAM 2x2G 800 $99

GPU HD4770 512MB $99 - OR - 5770 1GB $185

HDD samsung 500GB F3 $67

DVD Pioneer 218 $37

PSU Antec Neo Eco 400C $53 - OR - Corsair VX-450 $83

CASE Gigabyte GZ-X $45

TOTAL $552-668

I got down as far as low budget quad and thought the prices were getting a lil up there...

I bow to your... What was it you said before? Presence?

Cant test the rig with another psu, the only p4 compatible psu here is a compaq one thats way shorter than a standard p4 compatible... so i guess its not p4 compatible... um... anyways, Im pretty much thinking of going that way, buying a new case, new psu, do the whole thing in 2 weeks once ive got some pennies together... and try and get it working just enough to dump the bastard on cash converters... lol.

Yep in the parts guide. Though the AMD build would be better for bang for buck.

Did you have a look at http://www.pccasegear.com?

I should ask though:

IDE VS RAID

Im used to IDE. I'm pretty sure it isn't gunna fuck up on me... Aside from the speed difference, any REAL reason to RAID???

And I know I'm really starting to look like an idiot, but just how much of a speed difference are we talking between the two?

You will be purchasing a Sata drive.

There is no need for you to set up any drives in RAID.

You know, now that the power supply has been mentioned, I noticed the other day that all of the rails were slightly off... I thought it was in range, they were each only 0.1 v out...

And would the $211 AMD system really have more bang for buck than a new intel beastie?

And yes, oops, I meant sata... If i dont raid em, can i just hook up a single/double sata drive like an IDE?

Well for $200 you wont be able to afford a new intel beasty.

And yes you can just "hook" them up like your old IDE drives

okay, I was kinda figuring that I wouldnt get an intel beast for $200, i was thinkning of putting money aside for a few weeks...

jeebus jiminy jones, mudg3, i just noticed your signature thingy... How much did that beast cost ya if you don't mind me asking?

Do you just sit back and laugh at all the poor sods like myself who are currently limited to 3gb? I know I used to sit back and revel in the fact that I had 80Gb back when 10-20Gb were commonplace...

To be born rich, famous, glamorous, beautiful... Tis the dream, but would it be worth it?

Edited by joshkeulen619

CPU i3-530 $152

MB G-B H55M S2H $110

RAM 2x2g 1600 $130 - OR - 2000 $145

GPU 5770 1GB $185

HDD samsung 500GB F3 $67

DVD Pioneer DVR-218 $37

PSU Antec Neo Eco 400C $53 - OR - Corsair VX-450 $83

Copy and pasted straight from Dasa's parts guide as I cant be bothered looking for you and its a great build. Save up for that one buddy.

What exactly do you want a build list for an Intel machine? sorry the thread is about as easy to follow as an upside down map so I had to skip over most of what was asked cause of some fight with 1shot or whatever it is.

What exactly do you want a build list for an Intel machine? sorry the thread is about as easy to follow as an upside down map so I had to skip over most of what was asked cause of some fight with 1shot or whatever it is.

Sorry if it seems this way, I have nothing bad to say about 1shot1kill, I was just offering some constructive criticism.

The reason I wanted the Intel thing was that this gradually turned from me asking for help to flash an evo bios to me thinkng of upgrading for the first time in a few years.

CPU: E5300 2.6Ghz 2MB $68

MB: Asus P5QL-SE p43 $84

RAM: 2G(Single Stick)PC6400 800MHz $55

HDD: sata 160GB 7200rpm $35

DVD: DVD Burner $33

CASE\PSU: ASUS 400w $95

Total: $370.

Why intel though?

It would only be worth purchasing an intel rig if you went i3/i5/i7.

I beleive i mentioned earlier that I havent ever owned a amd pc, and i used to consider myself an intel fanboy... had a hotbox with a big airbrushed intel logo and everything.

I beleive i mentioned earlier that I havent ever owned a amd pc, and i used to consider myself an intel fanboy... had a hotbox with a big airbrushed intel logo and everything.

So?