Sign in to follow this  
Kung Fu Hung-Su

The Atomic Audiobucket

Nice one yogs'

I want to get another valve amp but with my speakers I would need something with a lot of grunt (expensive), my mate is trying to get me to build some full range single drive speakers using a 12" or 15", but I like these little speakers so I'll have to wait till I can get a grunty valve amp :D

Love the cabinets you have those Fostex in :)

Nice one yogs'

I want to get another valve amp but with my speakers I would need something with a lot of grunt (expensive), my mate is trying to get me to build some full range single drive speakers using a 12" or 15", but I like these little speakers so I'll have to wait till I can get a grunty valve amp :D

Love the cabinets you have those Fostex in :)

Thanks

the cases were kits from Fostex

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/sp...comp/pdf/bk.pdf

It is that Birch ply like all horns seem to be made of, I just finished them with bees wax., and they cam up nice.

They were a real bugger to track down in Sydney as were the drivers. After getting in contact with the importer I found this guy, not sure if he still deals in this stuff but he is worth a try if you are interested.

http://www.sdaudio.com.au

Yeah, I looked at that design with the Fostex for a few months while I still had my EL84 amp, but never made the move.

I can cut real good corners with a hand saw, but straight lines? forget it! :P

Pity I never came across these kit ones.

So i picked up my new amp today, Marantz SR6001 and all i can say is GOD DAMN. Marantz claim 100wpc and for most avr's this is a bogus figure, but with a 760w power supply, its a very real 100w. its not the most feature packed avr on the planet, but in the <$2k range, it was far and away the best sounding one ive heard. and thats the most important feature of a receiver. besides more inputs are easy to come by. Running blurays in DTS HDMA out of the ps3 is simply amazing. so much weight, separation and the dymanics... /drools. and music is leagues ahead of my old pioneer.

anyways, pics or it didnt happen

Posted Image

Congats BFM, sounds like you are very happy with the result, nice looking unit too :)

Oddly enough, I just picked up a Marantz PM64mk2 off eBay tonight, 100w per channel and for the first 25w of that it operates in pure Class A mode :D

Now I play that horrible waiting game until it arrives :(

Lounge...

Jamo E660 (Fronts), Jamo E6CEN.5 (Centre), Jamo E600 (Surrounds), Jamo Sub-250 (Subbie)

Posted Image

Study...

Yamaha TSS-10

Posted Image

Guess I better update this thing =) Just got a new DAC in the mail yesterday. I'm rather angry at myself for having such a ridiculously busy life, that I haven't been able to sit down and really listen to this setup properly. =( Another month and a half till summer break, then all will be sweet xD

Ok done. But sadly, there's a limit on how many pictures can be in one post apparently, so I had to chop some out. Will probably chop them all out so there's no favouritism. Sorry guys!

That's a Panasonic PV60A plasma, right o.O

Damn straight!

Rest of setup, bar speakers fyi...

Panasonic TH-42PV60A|Onkyo TX-SR603|Panasonic DVD-S97|LG LST-5402P/160GB PVR

Update

Component change and addition:

Posted Image

Amplifier is a Marantz PM64 series2 (100w per channel, the first 25w of that in pure Class A mode)

Behringer SRC2496 used as DAC & upsampler

Cooking dinner on top of the amp as I type :P

Time for a bump i think....

Well ive got a couple of major additions.

New Speakers. I picked up a pair of Orpheus Aurora 3's today. Aussie made speakers. I spent ALOT of time auditioning speakers, B&W's, Dali's, Focal's, Paradigms, Monitor Audio... you name it, i heard it. After many a hours i finally settled on the Orpheus's, out of every speaker i heard in the $2-3k price bracket these guys far and away had the most natural 'live' sound.

The soundstage is huge and expansive. Stereo imaging is spot on, take Metallica's Black album, when listening to Nothing Else Matters, it sounds and feels like im sitting in the studio infront of James, When playing Trivium's Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr, its like being front row of the pit. Clarity of the midrange is stunning, bass extension on these guys is pretty deep too. I upgraded from a pair of Jamo E680's. 2x8", 2" Midrange and tweeter, the Orpheus's have 2x6" drivers and a tweeter, and they go alot lower than the Jamo's did. These guys have a simply amazing sound.

And they look fucking sexy. Finished in a real jarrah veneer, no vinyl wraps here.

Second purchase was a Dali Concept sub. 12" 160w seal sub. A perfect match for the Orpheus's, very musical, goes nice and deep for movies too :p

Will get pics up tomorrow when i can stop creaming my pants

Ok, pics as promised. I have bothered with the sub because big square boxes are that exciting to look at lol. Next upgrades are going to be the matching centre, i have a new entertainment unit but i cant use it till i get a new house, the damn thing is like 2m long and i cant fit it in my tiny ass room, a new cd player, turntable and last of all a power amp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that thick cable behind the speaker against the wall is my speaker cable, lol. normally $55/m, i got it for $.85/m. hahahahaha. Dali Bluewave cable, 4 core 12 gauge for biamping.

Posted Image

Edited by Burning_Feet_Man

Well i have a strange problem with my speakers.... It appears that i have been given 2 left speakers. I emailed Duntech (parent company of orpheus) yesterday and got an email back today from the guy that runs the place, ill find out soon how and when ill be getting my missing right speaker. Very impressive customer service.

i know my room isnt the best set up acoustically, but something did seem a little off with the highs and imaging compared to my auditions.

Will post back here when i have an outcome. Still, so far very happy with the way its all been handled.

Thats a bit of bad luck...

I have been told, both Kiat & Brad are very good when it comes to helping customers.

Should sound better with a matching pair :)

I heard the these or the previous model at Reg Mills some time ago, I thought they were nice.

Edited by datafast69

Liking the Orpheus!

My system atm is:

Amp: Creek Destiny

CD: Musical Fidelity E60 (hope to upgrade soon to Bryston BCD1)

T/T: Rega P2 with Linn Adikt

Speakers: Monitor Audio GS20

Sub: M&K VX1250THX (hope to upgrade to REL B1 soon)

Haven't got any piccies, but the stuff looks like it does on the websites.

Cheers.

Well after two rather quick emails to Kiat, the problem has been rectified, a new right speaker is on its way to the retailer (Kingston Hifi here in Canberra) so now its just a matter of packing one up and picking up the new one when it arrives.

If only you could get this level of service everywhere, ive had alot shitter service from other compaines/retailers, and ultimately $2500 isnt that much money in the world of hifi. Mad props to Duntech and Kingston Hifi.

Very very impressed

So i did something rather naughty today.... I bought a stereo power amp. Rotel RB-1070. 130w/ch 8ohm, 200w/ch 4ohm, which is perfect given my speakers are nominal 4ohm. speakers are rated from 45-125w so ive got PLENTY of headroom.

And HOLY FUCK what a difference it makes, the marantz was putting out a respectable true 90-100w/ch which is pretty good for an avr. But this is a whole nother level, the separation between instruments is sublime. Vocals are clean as, midrange is nice and beefy and the Bass, oh my god the bass. I thought these speakers went low, but now, WOW. Im afraid to test it with some DTS HDMA soundtracks...lol. It really makes you wonder how you ever lived without one.

obligatory pic

Posted Image

my av purchases have gone a liiiiiiiiittle bit crazy this week, BUT im nearly there.

Very nice BFM :)

Yeah even the good AV units are hard pushed to perform as well as half decent stereo amps, the Rotel looks like a very nice piece of kit.