Sign in to follow this  
Kung Fu Hung-Su

The Atomic Audiobucket

stadl's lounge room:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Speakers: VAF Research Gen IV DC-X fronts, DC-6 Centre and DC-7 surround/rears.

Amp: NAD T763

Display: Pioneer 42" SD Plasma

Sources:

Marantz DV6400 SACD/DVD-A player, Roku Soundbridge M2000, Topfield 6000PVR (SD) and an Old Sony VCR

Behind the Covers

Centre Speaker:

Posted Image

Front speakers

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's also a bass port at the back -Internally the speaker is divided into 3 enclosures one for each driver (different volumes from memory) and one for the tweeters

Rear/surround speakers look similar but with a smaller drivers and a single tweeter, they also don't have the second rear bass port.

I couldn't find find anything I could listen to that approached their performance for the price.

I know there are some other Australian brands also offering good value for money, but most of them were interstate with no local option to audition them. It's also nice when the two people from the store helping you audition are the owner of the company and the main designer of the speakers (there were other sales people but they were busy).

Yeah, we have some great Aussie speaker designers/makers, some can mix it with the best on the international market, and now with the dollar the way it is, they offer even better value against the imports.

Some of the amps made here are also excellent!

/Hugs locally made speaker :P

Tidy setup stadl. Interesting diffusion idea on the tweeters. How does the centre match up with the sides in terms of punch?

Tidy setup stadl. Interesting diffusion idea on the tweeters. How does the centre match up with the sides in terms of punch?

The centre is very well matched with the mains.

To be honest as good as the mains are, the centre is perhaps the most impressive performer of the lot. Not as good as the mains, but very impressive for it's size (althugh for $999 it should be).

Last year they came out with a DC-X Center, with the same volume cabinet as the mains and only front ports - It's huge but sounds very nice (but the need for a centre down to 25Hz is somewhat limited). A friend has one, and it's better than the DC6, but I don't have any plans to get one, I had to get a custom cabinet built to my design to hold the DC6, no plans for a bigger one.

VAF is a SA company by memory!

Who's that in the first pic?

Spicoli's mate, Ringo?

Edited by LogicprObe

VAF is a SA company by memory!

Who's that in the first pic?

Spicoli's mate, Ringo?

Yep, Adelaide based.

As for who's on TV, It was a Dave Gilmour live in Gdansk DVD, so It's most likely it was Richard Wright on Piano for that bit....

Edited by stadl

Burning_Feet_Man just showed me this thread (So I could drool over his setup).

Mine is nothing flash compared to most posted here, but for the price I paid for it all, I'm very happy.

Posted Image

In the picture:

* Samsung LA32A550P15

* Pioneer VSX917VS receiver

* Definitive Tech Procinema 60

* PS3

* PS2

* 2x PSP

* Nintendo DS Lite

* Nintendo Gameboy Micro

* Nintendo Wii

* XBox 360 with HD-DVD drive

* Sleek Concepts Lucid 1200bl tv unit

* Belkin 7-port Surge protector

Since that photo I've added:

* Pioneer DV610AV specifically for SACD playback, but it does play DVDs (and upscales) as well as CDs and DivX.

* Netgear router

* mates gaming PC until I get my computer up here and setup.

I'll have to take another photo when I clean up the place. Might even take photos from a bit further back to show the room too.

After talking to Burning_Feet_Man, I'm going to look at speaker stands for the fronts and rears so I can place them around the room better.

How much did it cost me?

TV

+ receiver

+ 5.1 speakers

+ SACD/CD/DVD/DivX player

+ tv unit

+ about 25m of cabling for the speakers

+ surge protector

+ extended warranty to 5 years for both the TV and receiver

= $2700

I think I got a decent setup for an excellent price ;)

Got to love those staff discounts, hay morris :)

How's the play back with a Super Audio Disc sound in that player, compared to a good Red Book disc?

Edited by datafast69

Got to love those staff discounts, hay morris :)

How's the play back with a Super Audio Disc sound in that player, compared to a good Red Book disc?

Funny you should ask that.

I haven't got it working yet.

Reading up, SACD playback is through the HDMI only.

Reading some more... my receiver only has HDMI video pass through.

:(

Going to look at work and speak with the hifi guys about my options. Actually I might talk to Burning_Feet_Man when I come to Canberra. I was planning on visiting him at his work.

Your SACD player should have 5.1 analogue output, and if you have an external 5/6/7.1 input use that.

That way you are using the DACs in the player, which quite possibly would be better than those in the receiver.

Also, depending on your audio religious leanings, and the specific player, it may be that the player has native DSD DACs, which should in theory avoid a DSD->PCM transcode (of course the player may just as likely have PCM DACs and internally transcode - very few universal players have dual DACs)

IMO: SACD and DVD-A can both comfortably beat CD in real-world listening. I can't pick a winner between SACD and DVD-A, because in most cases the quality of the mix/engineering is more significant than any technical variations (eg the theories of SACD being slightly better for bass, and DVD-A for treble).

I agree kung, we should have a thread for questions/troubleshooting/what to buy/new stuff and one for pics of our systems.

Also, good news i got a call from the guys at Kingston Hifi today, they will be dropping my speaker off to me in about an hour. Fucking ecstatic is an understatement.

:D That's awesome news BFM!

And yes the limits can get annoying when it's for a legit use.

That's also why I made a new thread for my SACD issue. Keep it out of this one.

Well i got my speaker dropped off at about 9pm, now the task of running in the right speaker to be at a level similar to the left, only problem is with my marantz and rotel running, the room gets fucking hot, and with the stupid temps kicking around at the moment i dont really like running them.... :(

All in all fantastic service from start to finish

I think the next thing for your entertainment setup is an airconditioner. A quiet one :D

:)

I'm currently using some old Senns, HD414 SLs, through onboard sound and a cheapie amp/receiver. Yuck! :D

My monitors (Tannoys) are currently dead & awaiting warranty repairs. Need to sort that out. They're lovely but very synthetic, very cold... I have to put myself through that to make properly balanced mixes though. And cranking Dark Side of the Moon at 90 decibels is .. lovely. They have their own DACs in them, actually.. think they're Burr Browns.

I grew up on 'phones and I'm so, so used to the immediacy of them, but I need to get some new kit in that respect. Probably going after an EMU 1212m and.. dunno what headphone amp. We'll see. I'll post pics XD. I need money first though!!