neX

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Personally haven't tried it as I am at work. At this stage I don't think you can use a bc:// link to join a game. Its more of an information listing than anything else. Will get a settings.ini config up in regards to favourite servers etc this week some time which would be more helpful.

My only gripe is, I'm not sure what sort of longetivity it's got going for it. Like I said, I only picked it up this afternoon and have played it for say the last 6 or so hours and although it's been great and it feels pretty darn good, I just feel a little over it, I spose. You know, that type of "over it" where it's still fun and everything but it's like "Yeah, ok, I've done that a thousand times, there's nothing much for me to do save repeating the same things I've been doing for the last few hours or so" which isn't entirely a bad thing because I know I'll keep coming back to it and that I can jump in whenever I'm bored and feel like shooting some stuff up (in a fucking loud awesome way, which this game really delivers) but on the whole, it isn't as compelling as I thought it would be.

The Devs and Pubs are hoping you will look past the design and gameplay flaws (all designed for the casual gamer) and get stuck into the 'grind' - ie; stats. You have already encountered it. The question is that once knowing that do you keep 'grinding' or actually go and 'play' another game?

BF2 had some grind in it. But the sheer amount of possibilities open to you insured that it retained its longevity. There were always new strats and weapons combos to try and so on - the depth of gameplay was there. This game lacks that in spades. it is essentially a grind shooter, dumbed down and simplified for a casual gaming market. Fair enough. But it aint no BF2.

sweet. if we could get them in a .ini that would be awesome :)

im going to try the "join via xfire" tonight and will let you know how I go! :O

My only gripe is, I'm not sure what sort of longetivity it's got going for it. Like I said, I only picked it up this afternoon and have played it for say the last 6 or so hours and although it's been great and it feels pretty darn good, I just feel a little over it, I spose. You know, that type of "over it" where it's still fun and everything but it's like "Yeah, ok, I've done that a thousand times, there's nothing much for me to do save repeating the same things I've been doing for the last few hours or so" which isn't entirely a bad thing because I know I'll keep coming back to it and that I can jump in whenever I'm bored and feel like shooting some stuff up (in a fucking loud awesome way, which this game really delivers) but on the whole, it isn't as compelling as I thought it would be.

The Devs and Pubs are hoping you will look past the design and gameplay flaws (all designed for the casual gamer) and get stuck into the 'grind' - ie; stats. You have already encountered it. The question is that once knowing that do you keep 'grinding' or actually go and 'play' another game?

BF2 had some grind in it. But the sheer amount of possibilities open to you insured that it retained its longevity. There were always new strats and weapons combos to try and so on - the depth of gameplay was there. This game lacks that in spades. it is essentially a grind shooter, dumbed down and simplified for a casual gaming market. Fair enough. But it aint no BF2.

Yeah, spot on.

I looked through all the unavailable unlocks (to me personally, as of yet) and after I'd inspected each and every one of them and gone "Oh yeah, that's cool, I spose", it was like "Well... what do I do next?".

I think the only reason I'm continuing to play at the moment is cause it has that "fresh" appeal to it still going on, you know the excitement of having something new to play around with, that and the sound effects truly are one of a kind amazing (and blowing up sides of buildings is pretty cool).

Still, time will tell how long this lasts before and if it turns into just another run and gun, no brains clusterfuck, lol.

I would like to maybe try and get into a clan however at some point and maybe enter a tourny, when I've got more time, as if there was ever a modern game for that sort of thing, this would be it.

Cheers,

GB

the sound effects truly are one of a kind amazing

The fail horn is an EPIC FAIL in my opinion

I would like to maybe try and get into a clan

Same here - AC-DC won't cut it though - been trying to get on the Lost Division server to play with them but can never get on. Edited by neX

the sound effects truly are one of a kind amazing

The fail horn is an EPIC FAIL in my opinion

I would like to maybe try and get into a clan

Same here - AC-DC won't cut it though - been trying to get on the Lost Division server to play with them but can never get on.

Yeah fail horn is definitely fail, what were they thinking. Other than that though, in terms of ambience/weapon sound effects etc, farken awesome.

Won't be able to try for a clan till June after uni, got enough on my plate already :S

GB

Same here - AC-DC won't cut it though - been trying to get on the Lost Division server to play with them but can never get on.

Well you could always join LD then ask a server admin to boot a random so you could get on :P

neX, you could always try start AC-DC back up, I'm keen...

Anyone know what style of game the clan matches are going to be? 8v8 conquest/rush/something?

They will most likely be Squad Death Match or Squad Rush - 4v4/8v8.

The problem with a new clan (or with any clan for that matter) you need at least 12-15 people on the roster to fill out a team for a ladder match because there is always some excuse as to why they can't make a match.

while I would love to get ACDC up again if just for a casual meeting spot for atomicans i dont think i can do it with this game. After 1 hour with it I think Ive had enough. Honestly wish i could return it but I cant. It just feels wrong to me.

anybody want to buy my copy?? 9 activations left - and only $50.

<-- Officially hates snow maps.

They're so shit, everyone just snipes, and the people that AREN'T sniping, you can't even see them 'cause of the one billion trees and bushes.

Bad bad bad bad bad.

But I hate snow maps/levels/tracks/whatever in any game.

So shit.

<-- Officially hates snow maps.

They're so shit, everyone just snipes, and the people that AREN'T sniping, you can't even see them 'cause of the one billion trees and bushes.

Bad bad bad bad bad.

But I hate snow maps/levels/tracks/whatever in any game.

So shit.

Its not the map, Its you.

Snow maps are good fun, the infantry combat is definitely fun in the trees. Not any harder to see in a glaring snow map than it is in a glaring sun map :P

And if you're getting killed, then they can see you :)

It's not just me, everyone I know hates them too.

And we still do well, they're just shit maps.

Everyone just camps on attacking and you end up sitting around doing fuck all.

The only snow map that's bearable is the Conquest one... where people actually move around a bit.

The desert and jungle maps are far superior, even in design.

Edited by Reb1rth.

It's not just me, everyone I know hates them too.

And we still do well, they're just shit maps.

Everyone just camps on attacking and you end up sitting around doing fuck all.

The only snow map that's bearable is the Conquest one... where people actually move around a bit.

The desert and jungle maps are far superior, even in design.

My bad I thought you were talking about conquest, I dont play rush, its shit.

Yeah, I was playing Rush tonight for a bit of a change, so I don't get too tired of the small selection of Conquest maps.

Most of the Rush maps are fucking shit, the only two I've liked so far, are the desert one, with that kinda town section, and the bridge... and the jungle one with the lighthouse.

If they could convert those two to Conquest at some point, I'd be very happy.

I played rush for a bit tonight since I had only played conquest previously and hate it seems archaic to me like Team Deathmatch and also it is pointless because the team doesn't realise that they only need to hold 2 points wheras they always end up chasing points in a circular fashion like a dog trying to catch its tail, shits me so much... happens in MW2 as well I just put it down to people generally being retarded and thinking they can hold 2 points and capture a 3rd... Rush everyone has a goal stop the boxes exploding or attack blitzkrieg style on some maps and destroy the crates, great fun and it meant I knew where the opposition was ie: no like some wannabe rambo sneaking around the map being a general pain in the butt.

Edited by nesquick

I find Rush to be too focused.

The magic of the Battlefield series has been the freedom... Rush has taken this away in favor of a more direct, focused, action-oriented style game mode to try to appeal to the kiddies that can't handle anything but 32 player CoD4 FFA with no respawn timer.

how is rush something for kiddies?

They made it clear from the start that rush was going to be there. They were worried that people would be bored of the same Battlefield type game and wanted to add something extra into the game. Conquest has been around from the start.

I actually quite like rush. I find it's more team based than random hero taking flags. Working with 2 full squads of mates makes it fun to play.

how is rush something for kiddies?

They made it clear from the start that rush was going to be there. They were worried that people would be bored of the same Battlefield type game and wanted to add something extra into the game. Conquest has been around from the start.

I actually quite like rush. I find it's more team based than random hero taking flags. Working with 2 full squads of mates makes it fun to play.

Keeps them occupied.

Its good though, I find the people who play conquest are alot cooler.

I find Rush to be too focused.

The magic of the Battlefield series has been the freedom... Rush has taken this away in favor of a more direct, focused, action-oriented style game mode to try to appeal to the kiddies that can't handle anything but 32 player CoD4 FFA with no respawn timer.

conquest is just plain and boring tbh so is TDM and FFA, nothing to do with being a kiddy I just find them all a waste of time.

Its good though, I find the people who play conquest are alot cooler.

lol bs they are all just medics with M60's Edited by nesquick

Should put CTF back in like it was in DC/1942

Now thats epic

Ive been hitting this game up pretty hard, im currently in Team7. and were looking to prac it up to top 8 :D

I wanted to unlock the M60 medic weapon (most BS thing in the WORLD), so I killed my KD getting that, building it back up now.

Mainly into tanking, loving that tbh (hence the low knife rate)

Posted Image

E: Conquest is where its at tbh. Its a true BF game with that. If you wanna blow up bombsites, have fun in ure million point rush, or go back to CoD :D

E2: this is why Rush is good for pub, not for competative (as proven in the BFBC2 BETA cup).

Edited by sgtsmithy