Sign in to follow this  
Trekker

wireless internet for laptop

My wike moves around alot in her job. Wants the internet at work so..

Questions :

dont know what to offer her.

as have wireless at home through router and 120 gig..

so the laptop will only be used for internet any recommendations. And also how much does just internet use, as in browsing only.

My wike moves around alot in her job. Wants the internet at work so..

Questions :

dont know what to offer her.

Work related or not?

as have wireless at home through router

Does she work from home?

and 120 gig..

120 gig what?

so the laptop will only be used for internet any recommendations.

I have Optus wireless broadband for when I travel.

And also how much does just internet use, as in browsing only.

That depends on what you're doing and how much of it you're doing.

i have 250 gig for home, and own a nokia e71 with a 1 gig internet plan. i usually go around an fix friends computers and when i need wireless interenet just use pc suite and my phone works well enough and only costs me an extra $20 on my bill a month. a fair few phone/plans do this these days. that or go a cheap pre paid wireless dongle plan

sorry will explain more.

internet is for personal use. She can use it now and again at work at different location or on the move ( eg a train)

I have 120 gig download at home. So i dont know what standard browseing uses.

As would 4 gig for 3 months do?

And if so what company has good coverage.

I am favouring around 4 gig for 3 or 6 months. What that do?

im sure you wont be able to dowload much on a train or on the move. Checking emails, reading smh.com.au and surfing the net without much multimdia. i would say 3gb is more than enough. I guess telstra would be the best in australia but can be expensive. Optus, vodafone are also recommedned.

downloading files is not a reason.. surfing web only.. anyone have a notbook dongle that can comment of price and signal?

I have a 3 USB-stick modem and a Telstra USB-stick modem. Both started off OK but after a while they started not being detected and are now both almost entirely useless as a result, regardless of what they're plugged into.

I've also dealt with a Vodafone USB/Wifi 3G modem with a little rechargeable battery. It's an annoying piece of crap to be honest, but it's lasted 6 months without any problems that aren't inherent/purposeful in the design so that's an improvement I guess.

I've also dealt with another, newer, Telstra USB-stick modem. Apart from both the Telstra dealer it was bought from and the person activating the account not really having their head around how the accounts worked or were recharged, it seemed OK. It's only new though, so no reliability knowledge.

I've also dealt with a few Telstra Wifi 3G modem/routers. Easily the best in terms of usage and configuration, but no good for portability (same size as one of the smaller ADSL wifi modem/routers).

Honestly, I've been pretty unimpressed overall. But when they were working the 3 and Telstra ones did their job fine. For basic web browsing few people would use more than 150MB a day, and that's if they were using it all day long. A couple of hours a day? Less than 50MB would likely leave you with a lot of overhead.

People should not confuse the terms Wireless Broadband and Mobile Broadband