rory k

Windows 7 is retarded

So I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2. Except when I put it into my system, Windows 7 reads it as 31.8MB. Can anyone tell me wtf is going on?

You don't know where the fault lies, so I have no idea why you've decided that Windows 7 is "retarded". It's hard to solve an issue when you jump to conclusions.

Is it a new drive? Does it have data on it? Has it been formatted/partitioned a particular way? Is it a 'known good' drive? Have you tested it on another system?

Windows 7 is retarded, Breaking news! *rolls eyes*

Someone's a little grumpy. Windows 7 is better than XP.

Didn't like that one did ya?

I remember reading a while ago about firmware issues with seagate drives. Have a look here for more info.

edit - in that link I posted it has a link for seatools for dos. That link is broken. Use this one instead, or search for it in google. Sounds like you need the DOS version.

edit 2 - heres the firmware if you need that too.

Cheers

Edited by mattym

As above. What testing has been done on the drive? Not sure why Windows 7 is being blamed.

mattym could well be on to something too- from memory the drive you have was on of the models with firmware related issues (I had some 500GB drives that had issues, so sadly I know all about it!).

Sometimes it's the BIOS on the PC, some older computers has older BIOS which don't read drives over 500Gb at full capacity or outright can't see them.

Edited by Jeruselem

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management (on the left)

Do you know what partitions are? If not, post a screenshot of Disk Management and we'll take a squiz.

Rob.

I think the first step is the mobo - what does it report the drive as? If this is incorrect then it's not the problem of the OS. If this is correct, then I'd look at disk management and the partitions...

Yeah, I suppose that was a bit vague...

I had Ubuntu installed on it at one point, and that worked fine. Then I decided I wanted to use it as a storage drive for windows, but when I formatted it it came up as 31.8MB. I've looked in partition manager and it says there is only one partition.

That looks like the problem I was having mattym. I'll try that, thanks.

I had Ubuntu installed on it at one point, and that worked fine. Then I decided I wanted to use it as a storage drive for windows, but when I formatted it it came up as 31.8MB. I've looked in partition manager and it says there is only one partition.

You shouldn't only be looking at the number of partitions.

Please post a screenshot so we can see if..

a) Windows is actually detecting the disk at the right size

and

b) The partition takes up the entire disk

Rob.