Sign in to follow this  
SaMADog

Help my Windows 7 loader keeps rebooting.

Hi all! Long time lurker here.

As my Windows 7 beta ran out I dutifully ran out and purchased a copy of Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit OEM). I also purchased another another processor an E7600 Intel Core 2 Duo for reasons most people can probably deduce.

All my hardware is relatively new, purchased within the last 3 years. Specs as follows;-

CPU - Intel 7600 Core 2 Duo

MB - Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Video - XFX HD4870

Memory - 2X 1GB DDR2 G.Skill

HD - WD Raptor 74GB + WD 1TB (WD10EADS)

PSU - Antec HE High Efficiency 550 W

However upon installation of the initial loader, my I found my computer went into a infinite reboot loop. After booting it reaches the loading screen, a quick blue screen flashes with the error then computer reboots.

Concerned that I may have fried something during the CPU replacement I ran memtest which my PC passed. Confused I sought to eliminate unknown variables so I installed a 64bit version of Ubuntu which also completed successfully. I checked the BIOS version for CPU compatibility and there wasn't any issue there either.

Am I missing something?

Did you try hitting F8 to boot into safe mode?

Was it a fresh install or a reinstall?

You've tried completely formatting the drive and starting from scratch?

It's a completely fresh install. The drive was formatted prior to installing.

Booting in safe mode didn't help.

Defective CPU?

I swapped out the 7600 for my 6300 and magically it works.

This is very puzzling because Ubuntu ran complete fine on this machine. Not only that but the Window RC ran fine just prior to reformatting.

For now I guess the problem is 'resolved'. But I'm not sure what to do with the CPU. Is it defective? Probably not, but it doesn't work with windows. Now that Windows is activated; should I try to swap the new CPU back in the hope I may work?

Glad I don't do it for a day job.

Edited by SaMADog

Defective CPU?

I swapped out the 7600 for my 6300 and magically it works.

This is very puzzling because Ubuntu ran complete fine on this machine. Not only that but the Window RC ran fine just prior to reformatting.

For now I guess the problem is 'resolved'. But I'm not sure what to do with the CPU. Is it defective? Probably not, but it doesn't work with windows. Now that Windows is activated; should I try to swap the new CPU back in the hope I may work?

Glad I don't do it for a day job.

The only way to know if it will work now, is to swap the cpu's back around. Generally a reboot loop on load is a driver error

I would say record the error code when the blue screen comes up and google it. If the screen is too fast, record it with your fone's camera or something. Sounds like a corrupted file though.

Could be a corrupt file or a hardware error.

Remove your RAM and run the minimum amount, do you have an onboard video card?

try a test run and see if this works...

Update.

I discovered that Windows ran fine with my old CPU installed (an E6300) so after a small amount of procrastination I attempted to swap the CPUs around to my new one (E7600).

No luck. The computer refuses to boot and I get the same error as before.

Guy Smile: Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's the RAM. After all the other OS's I tried ran perfectly; otherwise Windows 7 RC, Ubuntu would have complained too. I think the issue lies squarely with either the motherboard or the OS.

discoInferno said:

I know you said you checked it, but what BIOS version are you running? I can't find the E7600 in the compatibility list.

In probably what is now a critical oversight. I assumed that since CPU's released after the E7600 worked I assumed that it too would be compatible.

All evidence points to a combination of an OS/MB issue.

Is strikingly similar to my issue. It too wasn't resolved.

On 21/03/2010 at 3:09 PM, discoInferno said:

I know you said you checked it, but what BIOS version are you running? I can't find the E7600 in the compatibility list

Hey i am also unable to find that but i take help from the computer technician .. 

Good god a 9 year bump? Seriously? As for the problem according to Asus the CPU is not supported by that mobo for some reason.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 10:18 PM, aliali said:

Good god a 9 year bump? Seriously? As for the problem according to Asus the CPU is not supported by that mobo for some reason.

And it's the only post he/she ever made!

• Haha 1