I'm thinking about buying one of these but... what do I need? what kind of connections do they require? And how much of a speed increase can I expect with them?

I know nothing at all about them so could someone please shed some light on the subject?

Now that you're in the right forum.... :)

The connections are the standard SATA power & data. The speed increase is, very noticeable. There are plenty of benchmarks out there. I can tell you from personal experience, I'll never go back :) I think a combination of SSD drive for OS, data & major apps and standart hdds for all other apps works like a charm.

I'm using OCZ Vertex drives and I'm very happy with them.

If you're used to a single hard drive the speed increase is very noticeable.

If you're used to 4 hard drives in RAID 0 with the OS on the edge of the drives, the access time difference isn't noticeable at all (programs and OS still load just as quickly) and the loss in transfer speed for large files (backups) is very noticeable (drop from 230mb/s with the RAID 0 setup to around 140mb/s with SSD). The lost storage space is also very noticeable. Overall, what you'll notice most is how much lighter your wallet is.

Its a much wiser investment to get 4x1TB hard drives and put them in RAID 0 in my opinion. Still a few bucks cheaper and many more advantages than the SSD drive alone. :-)

If you're used to 4 hard drives in RAID 0 with the OS on the edge of the drives, the access time difference isn't noticeable at all (programs and OS still load just as quickly)

Do you have any facts to back this up? Any? At all?

Its a much wiser investment to get 4x1TB hard drives and put them in RAID 0 in my opinion. Still a few bucks cheaper and many more advantages than the SSD drive alone. :-)

Only if you don't, at all, value your data. If one of those drives dies you lose everything.

Rob.

SSDs are a good investment. Find something with fast read speeds and you'll be set. Write speeds aren't very important, especially if you're going to be transferring data off slower sources such as USB drives, optical discs, the Internet etc most of the time.

Many of the new drives will have over 200MB/s read, which is significantly faster than a HDD. This should help you compare models:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=736

what do I need? what kind of connections do they require?

What do you need? An SSD ;)

And what kind of connections do they require? The same as any other vanilla SATA hard drive. They have a SATA data cable, and a SATA power cable.

One thing that occurs to me is that SSDs still come in 2.5", don't they, does this mean one needs mounting blocks in order to fit them in a regular 3.5" slot?

Rob.

Isn't SSD HDD a tautology? :p

I don't even know what tautology means :(

So I'll definitely notice a speed incease? I've read some reviews where it said it's not too noticeable. Also, does anyone know some good stockists with a decent range in Sydney?

Isn't SSD HDD a tautology? :p

I don't even know what tautology means :(

According to wiki (I didn't know what it meant either....... damn my technical school education!!!!)

tautology=repetition of meaning, using different words to say the same thing twice, especially where the additional words fail to provide additional clarity when repeating a meaning

Asfar as noticeable difference, the answer is yes.

I have / was using (see link below) one of the slower SSD on the market, the performance was very mych visible.

In my Macbook Pro it suprised me at how fast apps/folder icons loaded up. Thumbnails instant when folder is opened,iTunes was more or less instant, Garage Band was 3-5sec fully loaded.

I did have it in my pc running XP Pro for 2 and abit hours. It was noticeably faster. Install time was pretty much the same (I think) boot time improved, program starts improved but I can't compare it to the faster ssd on the market.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=28663

Yeah you will notice a big difference, especially if you aren't loading stuff off normal HDDs.

PCCG has a great range and good prices. It's where I have gotten both of mine.

I'd recommend an OCZ, they are easy to firmware upgrade and good performers.

Avoid Kingston.

I'd recommend an OCZ, they are easy to firmware upgrade and good performers.

Avoid Kingston.

+1 if youve got the cash get OCZ just for the ease of firmware updates, that and everyone raves about them being good :)

And what kind of connections do they require? The same as any other vanilla SATA hard drive. They have a SATA data cable, and a SATA power cable.

One thing that occurs to me is that SSDs still come in 2.5", don't they, does this mean one needs mounting blocks in order to fit them in a regular 3.5" slot?

Rob.

It does if you don't want it laying around loose.

Rob.

It does if you don't want it laying around loose.

Still hold a grudge against the wife eh?

Well, I got an OCZ Vertex 60gb and the only thing it seems to do quicker is unzip files... everything else that runs on the drive is going same speed. Maybe I have it set up wrong? should it be AHCI or normal or... ?

er.....what's wrong with Kingston SSD's? I was contemplating one also.....

Links for reading that might clarify for you :):

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

thanks for that - kept me busy for the last hour, hour and a half

*sigh*

And if you had read the sticky on SSDs you would have already digested those articles...

:P

Well, I got an OCZ Vertex 60gb and the only thing it seems to do quicker is unzip files... everything else that runs on the drive is going same speed. Maybe I have it set up wrong? should it be AHCI or normal or... ?

Good choice!

Now, how did you set it up, what OS, is it the boot drive, did you just add it to an existing system, DID YOU READ THE STICKY?????

:P

Edited by Mac Dude

Squidy try reading this thread:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=22233

Should help answer your questions :) (Its the thread mac dude was refering too :))

@OBBA the kingston SSD have really poor write speeds in comparison. It also uses a Samsung controller which means AFAIK there is no way of flashing it, short of sending it back to Kingston/Samsung. Combined with its lack of support for TRIM makes is a, well bad investment IMO.

Edited by PC FREAK