Well, I have the X48-DQ6 mobo but cant tell which port it's supposed to be connected to :(

But yeah I read the sticky, its just some of it didnt make much sense to me.

But yeah I read the sticky, its just some of it didnt make much sense to me.

Such as?

Basically from what ive read there is a slight performance increase by using the Intel ICH10 over the gigabyte controller.

AFAIK the intel controller doesnt rely on the PCIe bus for communication.

Now, how did you set it up, what OS, is it the boot drive, did you just add it to an existing system, DID YOU READ THE STICKY?????

:P

^^^^^^

EDIT : Do you have other HDDs as well?

Edited by Mac Dude

It's the OS drive, as for setup its on Vista 64, bios is set to SATA (not AHCI). Yeah I've got6 2 other SATA drives, both 1TB.

Edited by Squidy

soooo, I'd setup at follows :

SSD : SATAII0 connector(controlled by ICH9R)

DVD drive : SATAII1 connector or IDE

Other HDDs : GSATAIIA & GSATAIIB (Purple connectors)

This will spread the I/O load across the controllers. set them all the AHCI unless you are RAIDing the other HDDs...

On Vista in IDE mode the drive won't be recognised as an SSD. Make sure you set the BIOS to AHCI then upgrade to the latest drivers.

Just to throw it out there, you will find Win7 a lot more SSD friendly - but it is another cost.

Yeah I was thinking about Win7 but I'm pretty sure my soundcard company doesnt have drivers for it yet and some software may not work... but I'll go check that out

Yeah I was thinking about Win7 but I'm pretty sure my soundcard company doesnt have drivers for it yet and some software may not work... but I'll go check that out

What card do you have?

I'm regretting buying this drive now. Set it up the way Mac Dude explained and now all i'm getting is pops and clicks when I try to record audio. Put the other drive back in and... not a problem.

I'm regretting buying this drive now. Set it up the way Mac Dude explained and now all i'm getting is pops and clicks when I try to record audio. Put the other drive back in and... not a problem.

That doesn't round right.

You did a full re-install on the drive?

Not a clone?

Windows 7 or XP?

That doesn't round right.

You did a full re-install on the drive?

Not a clone?

Windows 7 or XP?

Yeah did a full reinstall. Running Vista 64.

Do both drives have the same Sound Card Drivers installed?

Tried updating all drivers? Tried swapping controllers the SSDs plugged into?

Could be a latency issue, older boards (X48 and X38 spring to mind) had problems with DPC latency. Run the tool here to check:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Both my X series boards had some issue with audio, BIOS updates fixed it but the latencys where never great.

Edited by PC FREAK

I'd be trying firmware updates before changing boards mate...

Assuming you haven't already updated the firmware, ofcourse.

Try updating the firmware on the SSD?

I don't see the problem in that thread. We know that a SSD can be slower at recording, doubt however 20mb/s in write speed is going to cause stuttering, unless doing some serious writes, while trying to read or something.

I've got the x48, which board would you suggest?

I wouldn't change boards mate, id just work through my previous post first. Make sure got latest BIOS, up to date chipset drivers etc.

Otherwise try the SSD in another computer, just to see if its the motherboard or the drive thats causing the issue. If the drive still causes the issue in another computer id RMA it, if not then you'd have to way up the cost of a new board or selling the SSD.

Edited by PC FREAK

There's your problem ;)

This makes no sense to me. It sounds like you may have knocked something during the install. I'd be checking all my leads, boards, etc to make sure they are all sitting correctly. I'd also double check all drivers. I haven't run the drive under Vista, but I doubt that's the problem...

Yeah, the drive a is a piece of shit. Going back to standard SATA drives.

What have you tried so far? Sounds odd that a storage device will introduce 'pops and clicks'.

So, SSD technology is mature, huh?

Agenda. You're pushing one.