So, SSD technology is mature, huh?

Mature? No. Do they work? Yes.

Squidy I can't see how the drive is causing the problems you are experiencing.

Assuming you are using all the same cables & connectors, it has to be a Vista/drivers issue since a standard SATA drive works like a charm. Have you tried putting it on a controller by itself and switching it to AHCI?

I'm really just guessing here...

If I put it on AHCI I'll have to reformat and install etc... but I guess I could try.. but it means activating Windows again which probably wouldnt work cos I did it just a few days ago

If I put it on AHCI I'll have to reformat and install etc... but I guess I could try.. but it means activating Windows again which probably wouldnt work cos I did it just a few days ago

You need to reinstall?

Well I didn't need to for either on my PC's but I'll take your word for it :)

(and I didn't need to re-activate)

Edited by Mac Dude

Well, apparently if you set it to AHCI it will bluescreen due to drivers Windows has installed or something... maybe it was just for XP though? I'll give it a go in a sec

Edit: ok, just tried it, it bluescreens. So I'd have to reinstall.

Edited by Squidy

Squidy you dont need to. Try these, i forget how i did it. Pretty sure i just went into device manager and changed the ICH10 to ahci drivers reboot, change in bios ot ahci and then booted into windows. Here are some links though:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265785-3...talling-windows

http://gianvito.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/h...xp-in-ide-mode/

Id try the last one first :)

Well, apparently if you set it to AHCI it will bluescreen due to drivers Windows has installed or something... maybe it was just for XP though? I'll give it a go in a sec

Edit: ok, just tried it, it bluescreens. So I'd have to reinstall.

Damn. Must be Vista.

OK, so I've done that little trick. Now I boot into windows and it only sees my boot drive and DVD drive, not my other 1tb hdds *sigh*

thatll be cause your other controller might not be in AHCI? I know my X48 board had two AHCI options, one for Intel and other for the gigabyte controller.

Yeah, Windows doesn't like swapping between AHCI states.

not a problem with Win7, though that doesn't help Squidy...

Squidy, you're right it must be the drive. I'm happy to swap it for a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive :)

Should have been set up as AHCI in the first place.

No reason not to use it these days.

Do things right the first time, and you'll have far fewer issues.

I'm confused, the pops and clicks happens with the SSD but not the HDD?

Do they both have different installs of an OS, or are you keeping the OS install constant when swapping between them? I'm assuming the former.

If so it's very likely an OS/driver/software problem, and not a problem with the SSD. The only conceivable way that I can see for the SSD to be creating those problems is by not writing fast enough, but surely that's unlikely.

Have you tried recording with while using the SSD but recording onto an HDD? If that also has clicks then it's next to impossible for the SSD to be causing the problems.

If it was PATA the SSD might be causing problems, but surely not with SATA.

Have you checked Windows' event log?

Rob.

Well, I've gone through everything and nothing seems to fix the issues so I've put it up for sale in Trademart. Maybe I'll buy another one later when the capacity goes up and price comes down or something, but at the moment it's just not for my needs.

Wait a few more years until SSDs are more widely accepted/supported and you might not have these little niggling issues.

Oh and don't troll, OK?

Edited by HyperHorse_