antifunker

Moving to Dubai for a year. Australian VPN?

I've decided to take a job in Dubai for a year, and wish to use a VPN with an Australian IP.

Would need something with decent speed, Torrent capabilities :) , and preferrably an Australian customer service number. Don't mind paying for good service.

Does anyone have any experience using services like this? There seem to be lots of VPN services out there, but many don't have Australian IP's, and many seem dodgy.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Hmmm. Didn't even think of that, thanks guys. Isn't that going to get prohibitively excpensive, considering I did state above that I want to use BT? I've just had a quick look around, and it will be at least triple the cost of a VPN service. I said I don't mind paying, but I DO mind throwing money away for no good reason.

What are the real benefits of running my own server?

Have I just not found the right places? Can somebody recommend a good, reliable, local hosting service, that's going to be priced at around $140 p/a, with at least 100GB per month?

$140 a year? No not likely for a decent VPS. Maybe double that and then some for your bandwidth.

Maybe you need to look at curtailing your bandwidth to something a little more realistic, or get someone to post you DVDs.

There are VPN subscriptions available everwhere for $140 a year.

I was just asking which ones are any good, and then the thread got derailed talking about VPS.

Hardly derailed, it was an alternative solution offered.

If you want a VPN then get one, feel free to ignore us.

Why not get a server from europe or the states? Cheaper, lot cheaper.

Set up your own VPN connection, rtorrent with a appropriate front end if cmdline isnt your style.

I need Bit Torrent and large data amounts, as I will need to use it for my Job, which is Visual Artist at the new Armani Prive nightclub. I belong to a community of VA's who share custom HD vision content (think the textures, etc that you see on the LED screens at the Grammys, Oscars, etc). Obviously, sending discs is just not an option, as I need on demand access to this library.

I want an Aussie IP mainly because I want to be able to still use my AU Paypal Account. I won't be able to get a UAE Paypal until I have a UAE bank account, which won't happen until I get my residency Visa - and I don't expect that to come through until a couple of months into the job.

Surely there must be some Australian companies providing this service? Google only turns up off shore providers.

Edited by antifunker

Ahh see now we have a clearer picture of what and why you need what you do :)

Sounds like it'd be an interesting experience.

I want an Aussie IP mainly because I want to be able to still use my AU Paypal Account. I won't be able to get a UAE Paypal until I have a UAE bank account, which won't happen until I get my residency Visa - and I don't expect that to come through until a couple of months into the job.

Why not use an Aussie IP for paypal, and a cheaper US/EUR option for large quota stuff?

Rob.

That's an option I'm now cosidering Rob :) I'm thinking I could set up a VPN at my gf's place for the paypal stuff.

SquallStrife I've read that trying to access your AU Paypal account from offshore will get you locked out until you can provide proof of address - and I'd rather not have to go through all of that, as my accom is part of the package and documents may be hard to obtain.

I must say I'm surprised that I can't find a decent local provider of the services I need. Seems like it would be a good business. Easy to market to overseas Aussie travellers (security, ABC iView, etc).

Ps. SquallStrife, I love your sig!

Edited by antifunker

I must say I'm surprised that I can't find a decent local provider of the services I need. Seems like it would be a good business. Easy to market to overseas Aussie travellers (security, ABC iView, etc)

There are many decent local providers of the services you need. They're just expensive. Because bandwidth in Australia is expensive.

Rob.

I can only find one at any cost and that's this one:

https://www.smallvpn.com/

But apparently they block filesharing ports. Maybe I can use BT in Dubai without the VPN, but I'm not sure of this, as I do know that they have some fairly heavy internet filtering going on there, not unlike China. Even Skype is blocked.

I want an Aussie IP mainly because I want to be able to still use my AU Paypal Account.

Wha?

Yeah, I don't get it either. Why not use the Paypal account from Dubai?

I want an Aussie IP mainly because I want to be able to still use my AU Paypal Account.

Wha?

Yeah, I don't get it either. Why not use the Paypal account from Dubai?

Probably because the card linked to that account is locked to this region?

So link it to a card that's not.

What the OP is saying is that Paypal look out for people using Australian credit cards from foreign IPs, and he's trying to avoid jumping through their hoops.

Rob.

OK. I know I can't access my AU Paypal account from UAE. I know that I need a VPN.

These things are established.

I would have loved some advice on aquiring the services of a good VPN, but it seems that nobody has that knowledge?

I would have loved some advice on aquiring the services of a good VPN, but it seems that nobody has that knowledge?

I think someone does, just not yet. Patience. Edited by 1shot1kill

Doesn't look like it dude.

Consider yourself a pioneer :)

If you go down this road let us know your outcome, always good to hear the conclusion as it adds to the combined knowledge bank!