Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gyrus

Achtung Panzer : Kharkov 1943

I was amazed. Imagine Total War meets WWII Russian Front.

So, for WWII gamer nuts... check this out.

I have spent the last day playing the demo and getting my butt kicked... but at last I have figured out how to properly deploy units and set AT guns.

I really don't like to 'shill' games but if you like WWII tactical games then look at this and play the demo.

An older release trailer that shows more IMHO

About the game and forum link

WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE DEMO

There are some things about this game that are a bit counter intuitive and the UI is a bit clunky (particularly the camera control) so you will need to look at the manual and print out the controls.

And the manual is a bit skinny in some areas.

Took me a couple of goes to figure out how to work the reinforcement and reserves.

Apparently there is an issue with suicidal AI infantry too.

I found this yesterday when fighting with an AI platoon in the demo. The AI platoon charged a bunch of half tracks across open ground... it did not go well.

But really - amazing stuff - and a 4 man dev team apparently?

Scored a minor victory today after some careful planning and learning more about the game.

I set up an ambush in a town with my AT Guns and managed to wipe out most of (4/6) of the panzers in the 4th Pz coy, 1st Platoon of the 11th Panzer Reg, 6th Panzer Div.

Okay - so they are mostly Panzer IIs - but I didn't get my butt kicked and it's really satisfying seeing an enemy panzer moving in full reverse!

I am so used to AI that sees all and knows all I was more than a little surprised that the enemy moved right past my (concealed) AT gun positions without reacting? I had the whole lot set on 'hold fire' just to see if it made a difference?

It did.

When I gave the order to fire the AI again surprised me - one of the tanks that was not immediately disabled turned toward the ambushers and charged... which might have worked if there had only been one gun :D

As a reward, I survived long enough to get the T-34s in action and managed to flank some 251s that were moving along a road. Carnage!

And no DRM at all apparently? So support these guys with your cash if you like the demo.

Edited by gyrus

lol sorry, but Total War never looked this half-finished, even back in its Shogun days. Not to mention there's very little info on the turn based strategy half assuming there is any.

Just cos a game has real terrains doesn't make it TW-ish. Maybe a really really really stupid and retarded redneck cousin of TW?

lol sorry, but Total War never looked this half-finished, even back in its Shogun days. Not to mention there's very little info on the turn based strategy half assuming there is any.

Just cos a game has real terrains doesn't make it TW-ish. Maybe a really really really stupid and retarded redneck cousin of TW?

I must apologize on behalf of the 90% of the world that does not meet your approval.

Look, there is a FREE DEMO for you to try. So why not do that before you criticise?

Also, this is a 4 man Dev team. Not a Creative Assembly.

But, okay so it's not up to TW standards (you think?) - well it's not up at TW prices either.

Edit BTW I own (and still play) Medieval:TW - that didn't look nearly this good.

Edited by gyrus

why is it called acthung panzer? seems stupid the Germans would be saying acthung to their own tank? unless it had been commandeered by the Russians.

edit: I can't speak german but maybe it means like warning tanks?

Edited by nesquick

why is it called acthung panzer? seems stupid the Germans would be saying acthung to their own tank? unless it had been commandeered by the Russians.

edit: I can't speak german but maybe it means like warning tanks?

I am not sure on that myself. The Developer is Russian.

On the second trailer I linked it was not called Achtung Panzer so I guess that it was some kind of marketing thing?

The book "Achtung - Panzer!" was written by Heinz Guderian (you can still buy this - I have a copy) so maybe they thought that the title would attract WWII grognards?

I was watching the trailer of this the other day (with its very inappropriate techno music).

I imagine its nothing like TW, it would suck if it is. Might give the demo a whirl. Pretty small download which is a must for me.

Hoping its more like a real time Combat Mission.

Edited by supam

Well I had a go. Got crushed :)

Only battle I won was when I got the T-34s and even one of them got knocked out.

The UI is shocking but it has potential I think. Will give it another go tomorrow.

Well I had a go. Got crushed :)

It's a shock isn't it?

I guess I am so used to being spoon fed 'victories' in games now (particularly demos) that I went into it with a "let's just blast these guys first..." attitude.

At first I was a bit put out. "WTF?! Damn game must be broken!"

Then it occurred to me I had put no thought into troop placement or roles. Hadn't considered the ground. Hadn't thought for a moment about a fighting withdrawl, collapsing defense, flanking, ambushing or the possibility I might be outnumbered and outgunned from the start.

Then the realization hit that I have become lazy because it has been too easy. This is not rock - paper - scissors.

I have to think just to survive. Damn. I like it.

BTW I had a look at some more YouTube stuff:

and

I am loving this game.

Yeah I've been reading the forums a little, I already play other paradox games so i'm there anyway. Seems most people are saying good things about it like it's what Theatre of War should have been. I bought Theatre of War played it for a day and then stuck it in the cupboard. It was more throw dozens and dozens of tanks at the player rather than have good ai.

Going to go have that second go now and see if i can improve.

That T-34 was knocked out by a PzII through the front turret. I'm not sure if it was a very lucky hit but a PzII should struggle to take out anything more than halftrack and the lightest of armor so I'm not entirely convinced by the damage models. That said one of my other T34s took about 15 hits from PzIIs without damage so maybe it was just unlucky.

Edited by supam

the t34 wasn't a war winner cause it was a superb tank guys, sure it had some great ideas like slopped armor a 76mm gun, a Diesel engine, American designed suspension and wheels that were not interlocking like those on the PZ V and PZ VI ect, the thing that made it a war winner was that for everyone 1 that was destroyed another 10 would end up taking its place.

on the PZ II taking out a t34, it is possible, AT shells don't work the same way as HE shells so its not size that matters but armor penetration and a small explosion on the inside of tank to send it up in flames.

the t34 wasn't a war winner cause it was a superb tank guys, sure it had some great ideas like slopped armor a 76mm gun, a Diesel engine, American designed suspension and wheels that were not interlocking like those on the PZ V and PZ VI ect, the thing that made it a war winner was that for everyone 1 that was destroyed another 10 would end up taking its place.

It was relatively cheap and plentiful.

Like you say, it came down to the fact that the Russians could 'afford' to lose theirs more than the Germans. The later war German Tanks were technically superb... and were great tanks when they were running. ;-)

It is exactly this that makes me look at some of the modern military equipment (M1 Abrams?) and wonder if, even though it is technically superb, it may suffer from the same weakness?

Edit: I wonder if the in game repair times for the tanks reflect this? Will let you know when I find out.

Edited by gyrus

Chobbam armor (composite armor) on the Abrams and british challenger 2 negates the need for many tanks because it makes them invulnerable pretty much from any conventional AT weapon unless its a rear hit.

not to mention the electronics warfare suite inside the tanks gives them an advantage over any older design.

out of interest in the game if you lose say a tiger does it require you to send out the usual 3 half track trucks to pull it in or use another tiger to tow it in? since you said something about repair times in game.

Edited by nesquick

Chobbam armor (composite armor) on the Abrams and british challenger 2 negates the need for many tanks because it makes them invulnerable pretty much from any conventional AT weapon unless its a rear hit.

not to mention the electronics warfare suite inside the tanks gives them an advantage over any older design.

Who said anything about enemy action? A significant number of Panthers were 'lost' due to mechanical breakdown

out of interest in the game if you lose say a tiger does it require you to send out the usual 3 half track trucks to pull it in or use another tiger to tow it in? since you said something about repair times in game.

Don't know yet. Wrecks stay in-situ on the field. You see this in the demo.

YAY just had another go and won a few battles.

My 4 AT guns wiped out 2 companies of mech infantry supported by 3 PzIII's.

The best was my 2 remaining AT guns and 3 T34s laying a trap for 8 PzIII,1 Marder and 2 halftrack pioneer squads.

My T34's opened fire as the Germans came out of a forest and as they moved forward my 2 AT guns that were hiding on the edge of the forest the Germans emerged from opened fire on their rear. Lost the 2 guns but all 3 T34's survived and I knocked out all but 1 of German tanks.

Don't know yet. Wrecks stay in-situ on the field. You see this in the demo.

I think there is just a repair time. I had a couple lose their tracks which was only going to take a few hours to fix. I did have one Panzer roll after it drove into one of my foxholes.

There aren't Tigers in the game atm because the German division(s) you face didnt have them during the time period. They are working on an expansion that will include Divisions that had the Tiger.

There aren't Tigers in the game atm because the German division(s) you face didnt have them during the time period. They are working on an expansion that will include Divisions that had the Tiger.

BS the battle around kursk was postponed until they had considerable numbers of Tigers and panthers, that's why the Germans lost because the Soviets through the Lucy spy ring found out about it months prior to the date Hitler postponed it to so he could use his panthers and tiger tanks.

just so you know the tiger was produced from late 1942 onwards, and the panther (such a sexy tank arguably the best tank of the war) was produced from early 1943 so the Kursk offensive in july of 1943 would of sufficient numbers of both models ;)

so you know the facts ;)

Edited by nesquick

I know the dates, but they have no baring on whether frontline units actually had them. :)

Das Reich was the only Division with Tiger I's at the 3rd Battle of Kharkov and they were part of the northern advance, whereas the game focuses on the southern advance.

I think you will find Armygroup Kempf had panzer V and VI tanks ;) and greater volume than the norther advance.

anyway I'm not going to argue about it, any decent history book will tell you that.

Edited by nesquick

I think you will find Armygroup Kempf had panzer V and VI tanks ;) and greater volume than the norther advance.

anyway I'm not going to argue about it, any decent history book will tell you that.

What has that got to do with anything? Armygroup Kempf didn't see action until Kursk. 4 months after the battle we are talking about.

FYI an update on Operation Star

Covers the 11 Panzer Division area just to the W of Sokolovo (SW of Kharkov)

I have some pretty good battle maps I can link if there is interest?

http://dump.ru/file/4558043

(Don't like the soundtrack much but the video is excellent)

And...Tigers.

Edited by gyrus

FYI an update on Operation Star

Covers the 11 Panzer Division area just to the W of Sokolovo (SW of Kharkov)

I have some pretty good battle maps I can link if there is interest?

http://dump.ru/file/4558043

(Don't like the soundtrack much but the video is excellent)

And...Tigers.

You know when it's meant to be released? This game has so much potential. If only it had multiplayer and was more moddable.

No idea. I think the issue(s) is (are) a lot to do with the Russian->English translation?

Turns out the guy who did AP:K43 is a person I know from another forum. But I don't know if Paradox and Snowball are all signed off on this new version yet?

This has been posted by Graviteam.

The Terrain is from Operation Star (I recognize the buildings as a landmark) although this is summer so not from 3rd battle of Kharkov - but the tank surprised me.

I wonder if there will be some alternate scenarios?

Edited by gyrus

T-64.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T64

I think this has a lot to do with why they modeled this tank:

"With the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991, T-64 tanks remained in the arsenals of constituent republics. Currently, slightly fewer than 2,000 of the old Soviet inventory of T-64 tanks are in service with the military of Ukraine and about 4,000 remain in service with the Russian Ground Forces."

Bare in mind these guy also work on military simulation software for the Ukrainian Army.