Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
1shot1kill

80% of uni students need to be taught spelling and grammar.

Many people think that English is a fairly simple language to learn. I disagree and here's a couple of good examples.

Shake. (Verb).

third-person singular simple present: shakes

present participle: shaking

simple past: shook

past participle: shaken

And then we look at the word shape. Very similar spelling and pronunciation, vastly different when it comes to the usage, however.

Shape. (Verb).

third-person singular simple present: shapes

present participle: shaping

simple past: shaped

past participle: shaped or shapen

Why isn't the simple past of shape shoop as shook is for shake? Or why isn't shaked the simple past for shake as shaped is for shape? English can be so darn confusing at times.

Cuz English is the bastard pidgin of every other language on the planet - AND previous versions of itself. There are no rules in English which are not broken, except that "There are no rules in English which are not broken."

DP.

Damn I hate trying to post via my wireless connection.

Twice for the slow?

Bloody wireless freezes up for no apparent reason - so ye hit 'send' again. Half the time it's sent the info and frozen on refresh, the other half it's frozen before sending.

Netstumbler shows no extraordinary problems with signal strength or EMI... I think the laptop's wireless card is just plain fubar.

Some folks can speak a dozen languages; is it that big an ask to master one?

Sure English is the town bike, but if you read enough from an early age, it's easy enough to get most of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most native English speakers wouldn't have a problem with issues like that.

Rob.

I'd like you to repeat saying that last line 100 times fast.

aha aha aha! I don't reckon I could do it sober, let alone the state I'm in now.

I'm not surprised at all. I was in one of the last English classes in year 10 (back in 1980) to learn grammar. If you aren't taught it - how the hell will you ever get a chance to use it correctly?

One can learn without being taught. I practically failed English in yr10 in '86, I think that I'm a little better than piss-poor when it comes to speelink and grammer.

My English teacher told me that Engrish was one of the most complex and dumbest languages created :P

TBH primary schools are doing a crap job of teaching English with the exception of a few that are doing really well and are leading the others. I think most of this is a direct result of upper management and politicians not knowing wtf they are doing when it comes to planning education.

English is a completely retarded language, even as spoken. And as a written language it's about 100x more retarded than that. Spelling is ancient and stale. Punctuation is mostly unnecessary (apostrophes anyone? most useless things ever invented).

I could go on for hours. But instead I'll just sleep. Night! (or should I say, nite!)

I should also say that one DOES NOT LEARN their native language. The schools do not do "a poor job of teaching the language". You cannot, and do not, "teach" a native speaker their own language.

You cannot, and do not, "teach" a native speaker their own language.

You are misinformed and/or misguided. Name one civilisation with schools and writing which does not teach their own language.

You cannot, and do not, "teach" a native speaker their own language.

You are misinformed and/or misguided. Name one civilisation with schools and writing which does not teach their own language.

I think he means you don't tell Romans in Rome how to _be_ Roman - they are be definition, Roman. So if you think they are not being Roman, the problems is with you not them :P

English is hella cool!!...American..not so cool.....

Do the math and work out how them there skanky yanks make aluminum plants, to destroy the cotton-pickin', goddam new-clear weapons to wipe out the likes of Sa-Darm Who-Sain.

We got ya good, buddy.

I think he means you don't tell Romans in Rome how to _be_ Roman - they are be definition, Roman. So if you think they are not being Roman, the problems is with you not them :P

Mm. Using Romans as an example... Romans did indeed teach their citizens how to be Romans. Their empire stretched all over the known world, and a Roman might be born in Britain. Quite apart from issues of distance, though, he'd need superior instruction on how things are done apart from just watching how pater et mater went about it, for the simple reason that they might not have been Roman citizens - or were barking looney.

Edit: wrong "their" - I must be tired.

I thank the Romans for one thing.....Edgeware Road in London.

Those fuckers knew how to make straight, long roads, gotta give them that.

So do I: laser theodolites.

It's not he solution they had, though.