NukeJockey

What was your best GPU?

2000 - 3DFX - Velocity 8mg

2001 - RIVA - TNT2 32mg

2003 - NVIDIA - FX 5200

2004 - ATI RADEON - 9800 PRO

2005 - ATI RADEON -9600 PRO (sold old pc with the 9800 PRO in it)

2006 - ATI RADEON -9800 XT (bought another 9800 pro off ebay, they send my an XT)

2008 - NVIDIA - 9600GT

Prob grab a 5770 soon

My first PC was 486DX2 not sure what GPU it had but it did run raptor, NfS, Warcraft 1 and CandC without glitch.

Then I had Pentium 233MX and also no idea what GPU. I did play HL at 800x600 without bigger troubles... but software acceleration only.

Huge jump to Pentium 700 and ati rage fury. Loved that card and used it for long time. till i simply couldn't play new games at all (i think since DX7 became compulsory) while every game I could play worked without any problem.

Then I got pentium 2...something GHZ and GeForce5200. Hated it. HL2 on release glitched like hell. average 15 or so FPS. worst purchase ever (well. my parents bought it for me. can't blame them)

Finally I got amd 3200+ and Geforce 7600GT. good card. Oblivion was a bit laggy but everything else worked. Card was... fine. no strong points no bad points.

and now

Same system (just more ram added since my 7600 time) Sapphire 4850. Greatest of all. still did not try win7 exclusive games (like Just Cause 2 or shattered horizon) as well as crysis (saving it for big upgrade) but everything else? Batman, Empire, Fallout, Mirror's, Mass Effect... even with rest of the system bottlenecking the card, even with psu rated at 430W while card needs 450W... everything works flawlessly. Huge surprise on how well my system works, how stable it is and how quite it is (well: not louder than 7600GT)

Really deserves the first prize and will keep the card when i fully upgrade and finally move to win7 sometimes next year.

For me, it was my trusty old Geforce 4 MX440

Same, it was the shiznit back then. It was also a hand me down. Then I got handed down the MX4000. What a ripper. Had some ATI cards in the 9 series that were okay... but died quite badly, and had terrible drivers.

Na dude, the GeForce 4MX cards were pieces of shit. Everybody knows the GeForce 3Ti cards were faster! ;)

Edited by SquallStrife

Same, it was the shiznit back then. It was also a hand me down. Then I got handed down the MX4000. What a ripper. Had some ATI cards in the 9 series that were okay... but died quite badly, and had terrible drivers.

Na dude, the GeForce 4MX cards were pieces of shit. Everybody knows the GeForce 3Ti cards were faster! ;)

Haha yeah! 3 Ti 200 and 500 were both better cards than 4 MX... gosh... that was a long long time ago.

My MX4000 got me through many a game.

My first PC was 486DX2 not sure what GPU it had but it did run raptor, NfS, Warcraft 1 and CandC without glitch.

Then I had Pentium 233MX and also no idea what GPU. I did play HL at 800x600 without bigger troubles... but software acceleration only.

Huge jump to Pentium 700 and ati rage fury. Loved that card and used it for long time. till i simply couldn't play new games at all (i think since DX7 became compulsory) while every game I could play worked without any problem.

Then I got pentium 2...something GHZ and GeForce5200. Hated it. HL2 on release glitched like hell. average 15 or so FPS. worst purchase ever (well. my parents bought it for me. can't blame them)

Finally I got amd 3200+ and Geforce 7600GT. good card. Oblivion was a bit laggy but everything else worked. Card was... fine. no strong points no bad points.

and now

Same system (just more ram added since my 7600 time) Sapphire 4850. Greatest of all. still did not try win7 exclusive games (like Just Cause 2 or shattered horizon) as well as crysis (saving it for big upgrade) but everything else? Batman, Empire, Fallout, Mirror's, Mass Effect... even with rest of the system bottlenecking the card, even with psu rated at 430W while card needs 450W... everything works flawlessly. Huge surprise on how well my system works, how stable it is and how quite it is (well: not louder than 7600GT)

Really deserves the first prize and will keep the card when i fully upgrade and finally move to win7 sometimes next year.

You should check out the truth about graphics card power requirements thread.

GeForce 2 MX 32 MB - Pentium 4 1.5 (Still have that card in my original pc)

Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB - Pentum 4 3.0 HT (Still have it. Plays many games I play today, mainly source engine stuff)

Radeon HD 3650 512 MB AGP - Pentium 4 3.0 HT (Had it for a week, sent it back. This was before ATI released AGP Hotfix drivers)

Radeon HD 4670 512 MB - Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (Still have it, in my spare/lan PC now. Wicked budget card, would still be using it if not for 1080p monitor)

Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Crossfire x2 - Phenom II X4 965 BE (Bought these last week for $80, plays all my games flat out on 1080p including Crysis with no AA)

Out of all of the above, my favourite would have to be my trusty Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro. Its been through quite a lot, survived my second pc dying, and me learning how to overclock.

Still works just like the day I got it, extremely quiet (compared to my current setup!!!) and still used to this day

http://www.powercolor.com/au/products_features.asp?id=171

My good old Hercules 9700 Pro. Ran everything you threw at it and then some. I can even remember having debates with ElvisAlive over it and its performance vs a Voodoo 5 6000. For those old enough to remember, or those of you who would like a trip down memory lane for a good laugh, I believe this is the post that started it all:

8x fsaa on a 3dfx VooDoo 6000 at 60fps -eat ya words boys

lol that thread is epic.

The reply estate gave to that thread made me laugh out loud

FFS: sure it's doing 80fps with 8xFSAA on.......AT 640x480 YOU DIPSHIT!

A TNT2 could just about do that!

Christ, that's pathetic. It's doing 33pfs at 1024x768 with 8x on. Check some benchies of UT2003 with 9700/9800/5900 cards. You'll find that in that MUCH more demanding game, they score higher.

It's time to realise and live with the fact that your card, whilst OK in the performance stakes if it were released onto the market before the GF3 era, is now up against 256bit memory interfaces and DDRII memory....memory bandwidths approaching 30Gb/sec.

In short, you got nothin'!!

Well my cards were

MX440 SE

FX5200

HD4850 (htpc build)

9800GTX

GTX275

The Mx440 went alright, just enough so that stuff would run. Nothing flash though. FX5200 was a piece of crap, but I had no money so meh. The 9800GTX was good until I went from a 19" CRT to a 24" LCD. The resolutions I was pushing was too high. Hence why I had to get the GTX275.

I think the 9800GTX was a good card. Had I not upgraded the screen (or gone for a 22" screen) it would still be doing the job. Also it was quiet as well, for the performance I got out of it.

In terms of the card that I kept the longest - 9800Pro for sure. loved that thing.

lol... memories

riva tnt

geforce 2mx

geforce ti4200 (my fave... it was cs1.6 era and i think i managed to hit 100 fps with a athlon xp 2100 ) lol

geforce 6800xt

geforce 8800gts (current)

my new build is either gonna be gtx480 or a 5970.... havent decided yet.

First video card i ever got was a TNT 2 32mb i think. I was too much of a noob to realise I didn't have any agp slots in the family PC at that stage so it never got used. Oops!

Next was an mx440. Awful card, i paid too much for it but that was my own fault again.

Next was a 5900xt. Another awful card, Worked great for anything not involving shader model 2.0.

Next up was a 6800gt, Great card, very fast but only lasted a little more than 12 months before carking it.

Next upgrade was a x1950 pro which was a decent card for its price.

My favourite card is the 1gb 4870. Performs well even though it's now well over 18 months old and has never skipped a beat.

I had a Geforce 4 MX440 64mb for a couple of years, then a 9800pro.

I am still running my 9800pro.... and I am about to upgrade my computer, i5, SSD, 4GB, etc... I'm debating whether or not to keep my 9800pro.

my first gpu was a 8mb hardware vcd decoder card from hongkong, back in the DX33 days... good card, lasted me a few years.. then upgraded to a 16mb voodoo3 2000..

had that for a long time...

then a creative Geforce GTS 64mb.. that card rocked, creamed even any of the Geforce 2 mx cards...

since then ive kinda lost count... pretty much every new gen card since 2005K from both camps in some iteration or another..

the one that sticks with me though is the Creative Geforce GTS.. (i still have it in a box somewhere...) that puppy hauled for its time...

3dmark ran awesome with that dragon test.... i used to loop that trying to get each and every frame out of it :)

my fav card was the GTX 460 i got last year out of the card ive owned (a 9600GT and GTX 460) it was my fav. overclocks like a beast! (but im still trying to crack the 900mhz barrier)

Lol, I remember posting in this thread yonks ago...

Only thing that has changed is the arrival of the GTX 275, which I am extremely impressed with

And, it's the first graphics card since the 9600 Pro with fan speed control :)

Speaking of that card, it may soon go in my HTPC, if this motherboard I'm getting is AGP

Favorite card was definatily my Dual 6600GT's in SLI

They were part of the first PC intirely built and paid for by myself. And I was super proud when it actually fired up and ran without melting into an expensive pile of molten silicone! They were passively cooled gigabyte items and actually overclocked really well with some decient airflow through the case. We actually tried using NOS out of the drag car to cool them down for a mental OC one day, they didn't qulte manage to complete a run of 3dMark before they crashed lol (we ran out of NOS ha ha) we were feeling a little light headed after that...........

Plus they were reallly pretty cards. The heatsinks were beautifully designed and made them almost look like works of art. Modern cards just look like big monolithic chunks of plastic, boring! If I could find a practial use for them I would build a rig too show them off! They still run perfectly even after almost 3yrs of heavy overclocked use before they were retired. Gigabyte build good gear!

Hmm, surely they would still be usefull for something? HTPC maybe?? They are passivly cooled after all. Maybe a music server for my Hometheater amp in the lounge? No HDMI would rule them out for a descent HTPC I think.

First time in the 'eye candy' realm was with my Obsidian Voodoo2 in SLI playing a game called Rangers Lead the way. That was so awesome.

But my best GPU was the 7600GT which was AGP. That card is still going in my home server. I've had it for around 3-4 years. It had to replace the Ti4200 which dies in the arse. It played all the games I wanted to play and it just kept on going.

had the pleasure of owning a 4Mb Voodoo 1 (forgot which manufacturer, maybe Diamond). lol i still remember first time i fired up GL Quake, wow i thought gaming could not get any better! Stuck with that card throughout '98 to play Quake 2, Unreal & HL :) good times indeed!!

next card that really sticks in my mind, getting a 6800GT to play Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL 2, got it through to FEAR and Quake 4 in '05, but sadly o/c'd it waay too high and it died half way through a FEAR mission pack :(

second last card was the original 8800GTS 640Mb, another beast! Again o/c'd it pretty high but it didn't buckle. Got me through Crysis (nearly ran all settings on high for about 25-30fps!), Bioshock, COD4, STALKER, Batman AA, and a bunch of other awesome 2007/2008 games.

now im on a 460 SLI setup, another great GPU, but other than Metro 2033, nothing to really justify the purchase :) , but i think 2011 will be another bumper year like 98, 04 and 07.

errr so yeh, tie between Voodoo1, 6800GT and 8800GTS! :)

First video card Nforce onboard with a Geforce 2 MX

That was Followed by a Geforce 4MX 420 AGP

Then for some pure eye candy a Radeon 9700 pro as new, followed by Nvidia 6800 GT as new

I then went a HD3870 and then a HD 4870

I tailed that back to a HD4850 1GB

and now I'm using an onboard Geforce 9400m

I'm getting old as you can tell by the ways of my video cards. I've got something in the ways of having the power between a Radeon 9700 and a Nvidia 6800GT desktop card.

EDIT: I lie my 486 had a 1mb video card that absolutely rocked for Wolfenstein 3D and the original Warcraft.

Edited by i_am_banned

i know its not Peecee, but i remember the Tile generator card made by PowerVR in the DC... now that was an impressive piece of artwork... years, years ahead of its time...

First video card Nforce onboard with a Geforce 2 MX

That was Followed by a Geforce 4MX 420 AGP

Then for some pure eye candy a Radeon 9700 pro as new, followed by Nvidia 6800 GT as new

I then went a HD3870 and then a HD 4870

I tailed that back to a HD4850 1GB

and now I'm using an onboard Geforce 9400m

I'm getting old as you can tell by the ways of my video cards. I've got something in the ways of having the power between a Radeon 9700 and a Nvidia 6800GT desktop card.

EDIT: I lie my 486 had a 1mb video card that absolutely rocked for Wolfenstein 3D and the original Warcraft.

the nforce (geforce 2 mx igp) and nforce 2 (geforce 4 mx igp) motherboards were INSANE! the best motherboards i've ever had.

heres my list.

4 meg voodoo 1 with s3 4 meg for star wars

2x 12 meg voodoo 2' sli @110mhz with tnt2 m64 32 meg

voodoo 3 3000

geforce 2 mx 200

geforce 4 mx440 64 meg

geforce 4 ti4200 64 meg (crazy clocker) my fav

geforce 4 ti 4600 128 meg (no where near the speed of 4200) felt ripped off when i payed 1k for it and my 4200 pantsed it.

9700 pro 128 meg

x800 pro

6600 gt 128 meg p.o.s threw it like a monkey throws pooh!!

8800 gtx great card bloody hot though

2x 8800gt's sli 512 meg great combo never a problem.

2x gtx 260's sli

2x gtx 470's sli these guys clock really well but most things do under h2o

lots of money spent but worth it i think, it keeps me out of trouble.

Edited by AMD AKIMBO

I like how this thread went from a "What was your best GPU" (notice I didn't say GPUs) to a "What graphics cards have you owned" thread :P