Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Azazel

[DVD Review] - The Descent

Let’s get straight to the point – this is one of the best horror movies ever made.

It starts innocently enough, then there is a bit of gore. Then the movie waddles along until 4 young women decide to go and explore a cave.

The trouble is the leader takes them to a cave that isn’t even on the map. Well the girls throw a bit of a hissy fit when they discover this, but they decide to explore the cave anyway.

As they get deeper into the cave you become aware that they are being followed by someone or something.

Suddenly they get attacked by a Gollum like creature who is cannibalistic. This is where the fun really starts because there is a whole tribe of them and the 4 girls have to fight for their lives.

Well horror movies don’t really affect me – I am able to distance myself from what’s happening on the screen. However in this movie I felt myself getting tense and feeling uncomfortable.

The flashing lights and very quick cut shots disorient you – I would have liked to see this in the cinema to get the full effect. At these times you think WTF is going on. The movie isn’t that gory however it’s the psychological aspect that plays on you, being trapped underground, being in the dark, not knowing what you are up against. I think the movie was very well done.

People who are not horror movie fans should avoid this one – they would probably get nightmares after watching it.

One thing I didn’t get was the ending with the mother and daughter – I couldn’t figure that out.

Oh well, it looks like I will have to buy the DVD so I can watch it a number of times.

Let’s get straight to the point – this is one of the best horror movies ever made.

I must have been in the wrong frame of mind when I saw that movie a couple of years ago... I thought it was ordinary. But now you're the second person on Atomic to rave about it in recent times so I'm now going to have to look at it again. And IMDB.com have it a 7.4 so I definitely need to see it again. :)

Geez dude a bit late... love it too, stoked to see it's on Blu-ray soon.

Check out director Neil Marshall's debut "Dog Soldiers" - one of my favourites.

His new one "Doomsday" hasn't had the best reviews (unlike the above two), but I'll probably still check it out.

i didn't really like it, the characters were too smart, and the roles were often confusing.

it wasn't even scary

Yes, yes it is.

It is one of the best exercises in suspense that I've seen in many a year.

I pimped it heartily back in v2.6.

Love it.

And like Thylacine says, "Dog Soldiers" is a must see.

WAaaaay more cheese-ball than "The Descent" but a top notch film.

"Sausages!!"

OK - it looks like I will have to check out Dog Soldiers then - I will post a review after I have seen it.

Although I like horror movies like

- The Saw series

- The Final Destination series

- The Ring

- The Grudge

etc

I really don't find these movies all that scary.