Sign in to follow this  
Slace

Moving out and needing an ISP

Ok so I'm finally moving out of home which means I'm going to need to set myself with an internet connection.

I'm a software dev which means I need a lot of... throughput on the internet connction so I'm thinking ADSL2+, but I'm not sure who is a good choice for large internet caps and good pricing.

Additionally do I need to have a connected phone line for ADSL? I know nothing about ADSL as my parents are on cable so it's never something I've needed to know about!

Westnet.

They are a little pricier then others, but you get much better support then other ISP's... and you don't have to talk to some person in India reading from a script book.

Plus you can get your phone through westnet... and they will take 10 bucks off your Internet bill.

Here are some deals

Westnet, Internode or Adam Internet (if available).

Some ISP's offer what's called Naked DSL where the ISP gives you the phone line at an extra $10~ or so per month, thus removing the need for a Budget Telstra Phone Line.

Check out whirlpool imo

exetel is very cheap, and is an excellent service.

I pay $65 per month for 66G (18G peak/48G off-peak) ADSL2+, and a landline (cheap calls too), you can choose to have your service shaped when you reach limit, or, it's only $3 per gig. they also have Naked plans - only 12 month contracts too

I highly recommend them, they are fuckin' great!

I signed up via this site

http://www.tandb.com.au/broadband/

+1 for Adam, if they're in your area.

We pay $69/month without referrals for ADSL2+ 40G, none of that peak hour crap, and shaped if you reach your limit.

Always had good support and rarely needed it, but I'm still trying to digest support only during business hours.

+1 for Adam, if they're in your area.

We pay $69/month without referrals for ADSL2+ 40G, none of that peak hour crap, and shaped if you reach your limit.

Always had good support and rarely needed it, but I'm still trying to digest support only during business hours.

I don't get shaped, I chose not to - I don't mind paying $3 per gig.

Yes Internode is the best ISP currently, cheap prices and great reliability.

If your just after loads of data and a half decent connection then go TPG

oh fuck no. I was with them for a few years and they are shit house. In the beginning they were alright but not great, that was just the connection. Their customer service is the worst I've experienced anywhere in any context. Completely hopeless. If you don't believe me just give them a ring for kicks and find out for yourself.

I assume slimdog was talking about TPG there, if so i agree.

if you were stabbing at internode, you're one in a million with a problem.

Internode. End communication.

Unmetered\superfast\feebies: MajorGeeks mirror, Tucows Mirror, Sourceforge mirror, Games servers, 'techspace' (linux, patches, drivers, etc), Streaming Radio stations including all www.di.fm stations, free usenet account.

im sure theres more. but thats all i use. its enough. I live on 5-10gb a month because with all those mirrors and what not, almost everything i do is fucking unmetered, lol.

iiNet are extremely good too, I've had naked DSL with them since I moved to this unit, and they're nothing but helpful and friendly.

You shouldn't automatically discount TPG. Their Internet service is pretty good once you're connected. They do have the transparent proxies, but they more than make up for this by giving you a static IP, if that's something you like. Their customer service still leaves a bit to be desired, but you really don't have to talk to them much, so it wasn't an issue for me during the 2 years I was with them.

slimdog: I found that their customer service improved somewhat since the merge with that "Soul" telco. I'm not with them anymore, but some mates of mine signed up and were relatively positive about their experience with them.

Soul didnt merge. They were bought out.

and yes, iiNet are awesome assuming you need VOIP, because they give you unlimited voip for free (with a fair use policty of course)

Cheers all, I think I might check out internode and iiNet.

So just to be clear, with naked DSL I don't need a line already connected, I get that done as part of the plan?

So what does Nnaked mean in the plans? And how is that any different to just standard ADSL2+?

Naked ADSL means the phone line does not have to be active for calls therefore you do not have to pay line rental.

Alternatives for voice calls are use a mobile phone or VOIP.

So what does Nnaked mean in the plans? And how is that any different to just standard ADSL2+?

Naked ADSL means the phone line does not have to be active for calls therefore you do not have to pay line rental.

Alternatives for voice calls are use a mobile phone or VOIP.

Well actually the line rental is still there, just included with the price of the plan, but you do not get any bill from a Telco for the line rental. You also, of course, have no fixed phone service so no dialtone, which means you are totally reliant on voip and mobile for all phone calls.

Just remember to be able to get naked the ISP you choose needs to have it's own DSLAMs in the exchange or have some sort arrangement to use another ISPs DLSAM. Pretty sure Internode has such an agreement with Optus.

Use the ISP's coverage tool to see if you can get Naked DSL at your location.

Hmm the only thing concerning me in the Internode Naked Extream plans (http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/nakedextreme/pricing/) is this line:

Initially, the only available option for establishing your new Internode NakedExtreme ADSL2+ service is :

Convert a Phone Service to NakedExtreme for $129 : The easiest way to get naked is to convert an existing telephone service to NakedExtreme ADSL2+

makes it sound like I already need a line to get rid of the line...

Although Internode are more expensive than iiNet I think I'll go with them, I'm lucky enough to work in IT (web!) so it's a tax write off anyway :D

Hmm the only thing concerning me in the Internode Naked Extream plans (http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/nakedextreme/pricing/) is this line:

Initially, the only available option for establishing your new Internode NakedExtreme ADSL2+ service is :

Convert a Phone Service to NakedExtreme for $129 : The easiest way to get naked is to convert an existing telephone service to NakedExtreme ADSL2+

makes it sound like I already need a line to get rid of the line...

Although Internode are more expensive than iiNet I think I'll go with them, I'm lucky enough to work in IT (web!) so it's a tax write off anyway :D

Well not exactly... you can only write off the % you use for work related activities. If you are a contractor from home, or work from home occassionaly, then win. Otherwise is pretty hard to say you use a high percentage of your internet connection for work related activities. Might be 1% for "checking work emails at home". I don't think you can claim "Reading blogs to on work related material" in that either. :)

Self Education kikz, for the same reason you can claim purchasing books. If your internet is being used for self educational (ie, reading, working from home, etc).

For what it's worth, I'm with TPG ADSL2+ and have a ridiculous cap for $69.95 a month.

Their support is average, but better than telstras and I haven't had any issues with the service apart from when it dropped out for a few hours the other night (then again, so did everyone elses in the area that I know of, so it wasn't just TPG QQ).

They're probably not as high quality in terms of support as Internode, but they're better value for money.

edit: Not sure if they do nekkid adsl though.