Sign in to follow this  
Slace

Moving out and needing an ISP

Self Education kikz, for the same reason you can claim purchasing books. If your internet is being used for self educational (ie, reading, working from home, etc).

I'd just be careful. I thought you need to be in approved course for that to be available, and not just say "oh but it helps me in learn".

here "expenses of self-education" means expenses necessarily incurred by the taxpayer for or in connection with a prescribed course of education and here at the ATO

You're moving out and you need a net connection...

I get the feeling that this is the first and last thing you've thought about...

=P

Not true, thought about what size TV I need too :P

Self Education kikz, for the same reason you can claim purchasing books. If your internet is being used for self educational (ie, reading, working from home, etc).

I'd just be careful. I thought you need to be in approved course for that to be available, and not just say "oh but it helps me in learn".

here "expenses of self-education" means expenses necessarily incurred by the taxpayer for or in connection with a prescribed course of education and here at the ATO

When I did my last tax return my accountant asked what books I'd bought in the last few years that I want to claim depreciation on, they needed to be books I use at work. I trust my accountant. If I go down he does too :P

You're moving out and you need a net connection...

I get the feeling that this is the first and last thing you've thought about...

=P

Not true, thought about what size TV I need too :P

When I did my last tax return my accountant asked what books I'd bought in the last few years that I want to claim depreciation on, they needed to be books I use at work. I trust my accountant. If I go down he does too :P

Heh don't get me wrong. I claim books on my tax too. I also claim a portion of my 'net. It's a bit different for me though because I officially work from home from time to time, and I also do contracting from home, under my ABN. One of the PM's here claims some of her 'net off her tax though, and she says her accountant says it's ok because she has to check her emails from home occassionally.

Bottom line, nothing bad will come of it, I reckon. Make sure you claim depreciation on your home pc too, and the desk it sits on. They're both valid deductions under the umbrella of "self-education".

At the end of the day, always seek the advice of a qualified taxation accountant!

But this is getting a bit off topic.

What about wireless broadband? I know nothing of it (think I'll have to wikipedia it up). Is it comparitable speeds to ADSL2+, or is it a great idea in theory?

What about wireless broadband? I know nothing of it (think I'll have to wikipedia it up). Is it comparitable speeds to ADSL2+, or is it a great idea in theory?

From what I have read it is much more expensive than ADSL for the same data, has high latency (ping), frequent dropouts and often poor speeds. Leave wireless as a last resort.