Sign in to follow this  
ducky punky

Your advice Please

So this is my first time iv build the main bits of a computer up and need some advice

1. More Ram?

2. Will it be fast aka Playing a video, running Firefox, MSN won't cause it it lag like my current setup

3. Will my current PSU be capable as i intend to overclock it

Specs

Antec 900 2 - $175

Intel Core i5 750 - $230.00

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3- $144

2x2GB 1333hz OCZ

Will be using old PSU

1x 80GB HD

1x 500GB SATA HD

RAMs OK, though it couldn't hurt to go 2200MHz since the board and CPU you got support it; whether your graphics will be sufficient or not depends on the resolution of your monitor...you may want to add a GPU card; and your current PSU is *probably* not gonna be OK if you're gonna OC it, though we haven't been told what it is...

Edited by Antraman

As in DDR3 ram? I intend to add a GPU a HD5770 in the future but i dont have the money right now, will running without a GPU affect the computer in anyway beside not been able games? I'll have to take my PSU out to check what it is so ill tell you in a few hours.

Edited by ducky punky

get a cheaper case and maybe an i3 530, then you can buy a GPU and a new PSU, although you should say what the PSU is. also no need for 2200 mhz ram. pretty pointless.

if you intend to overclock, maybe get an aftermarket cooler.

what's your budget? someone on the forums might be able to give you a better build.

Edited by raxo55

Budget is $610 for a case CPU, mobo. I want the Antec 900 2 as its a good case and im unlikely to upgrade the case for several years.

trust me, get more money. a $600 build is not only going to be old tech in like 6 months it wont be very upgradeable. you'd be much better off saving the money for longer and using that 600 for a newer/better build.

Why iv heard the i5 750 and the P55A-UD3 are very good. So why not?

not sure why you've heard that, Where did you hear it from?

Best you can do is put forward your current hardware and intended hardware, established budget and requirements.

People here will provide constructive advice and you can go from there.

I would aggree with raxo55, if you are looking at upgrading a GPU later, and OC with your current configuration, try saving up a little more and build a better box that you won't need to upgrade again in 6 months.

Good luck and happy building.

they aren't fantastic, bt they will do the job.

althogh yo would be better off saving up more money and possibly learning a little more about hardware and builds before you make your first rig

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the i5 chip you have chosen, and once you add the AMD 5770 to it you will have a good budget gaming system. Is i7 better than i5 ? of course ! are your pockets deep ? NO! You will find lots of recommendations around here (like this) for i5 systems. They are the choice of the budget gamer, and coupled with your 5770 will comfortably play the latest games with mid range settings.

Need to know what your PSU is because if it is a yum cha brand you should buy something decent. Also you do realise that the motherboard you have chosen, while a good board, does not have on board video to use until you get your new video card. You will need one like this until then, Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3 LGA1156,H57,4DDR3,GBLAN,PCIEx16,SATA,mATX,HDMI Internet Price: $144.00

As bowiee has said the motherboard you have chosen does not have onboard graphics. I was in a similar situation as you with my P55A-UD4, although I wasn't budget constrained I was trying to hold out for the new Nvidia's but had to go for a HD5770 instead because the motherboard didn't have onboard graphics.

Also I reckon the i5 750 is probably the best value CPU on the market at the moment so there is nothing wrong with it. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bought one myself.

Also you might want to get a P55A version of the motherboard as it has Sata III and USB 3.0. Although these features are pretty useless now I get the feeling that you will be keeping this system for a while and for only $10 - $20 more you could get the A version.

I also must ask what your current setup is cause if it is lagging with such basic tasks as watching a video or using Firefox and msn, then there must be something seriously wrong with your setup, as my crappy 9 year old laptop that I have lying around would have no problems undertaking those tasks.

Okay my current spec's are

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz

Mobo:Giagbyte K8NS-939

GPU:Sapphire Radeon 9600 series 512Mb

PSU: Antec Smartpower 350W

RAM: 512MB DDR genric

Case: Old Antec

Harddrives: 1x80GB IDE 1x500GB SATA2

I looked at the GA-H57M-USB3 and its seems a better chose as it gives me time to save for a GPU, but my computer wills have some kind of grpahics support in the mean time. But its has less PCI slots and is a mirco ATX, which i dont like, but is there an point worrying about them? Is this board any good at overclocking?

Im thinking i may buy a cheap $50 GPU for the mean time, cos well its better than my current and is nearly as cheap as the GA-P55-UD3 but the GA-P55-UD3 doesn't have USB 3 support which is a bummer.

Edited by ducky punky

Okay been looking around and the GA-P55A-UD3 looks like a really good bet with a cheap GPU to keep thing ticking over. Does anyone have any bad point to the Antec 900 2 as a case and my old PSU for powering the new system, and yes i intend to overclock.

Would i be able to buy a 2GB stick of RAM to go with the 2x1GB sticks i already have?

Edited by ducky punky

Just keep your existing GPU for the time being as there is nothing really wrong with it instead of wasting $50 of a new GPU that will probably offer no performance advantage over your existing one and use the $50 to put towards something like a HD5770.

Your current PSU will not be good enough if you plan to overclock. Look at getting something like a Corsair VX-450.

You will not be able to use your existing ram as it is DDR1. The platform you are looking at requires DDR3 ram.

You could probably get a Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 for about $20 cheaper than the Antec to save money as it is meant to be a really great case.

T-Dog, his current GPU is an AGP card 9600 xtand will be of no use in the new system. ;) If you are going to get a cheap GPU to fill in for now this is what I recommend for $50 XFX ATI 4350 1G DDR2 PCI-E Internet Price: $49.00

Oh and yes I agree a new PSU is needed, not only for over clocking, but more importantly because of the age of the old PSU. IMHO when building a new system a new PSU is a wise investment to protect your new parts.

Corsair VX-450 ATX 450W Power Supply 120mm fan Internet Price: $83.00

And as t-dog says you old ram is of no use in your new system.

*Points to signature*

All up around $1100...

If you look on youtube, there are videos that show you how to assemble a PC.

TigerDirect and PCWhizKid are 2 youtube channels I'd recommend.

Crap I was only looking at his GPU from a price/performance point of view and didn’t realise that it would not be compatible with the new setup.

Thanks for pointing that out bowie.

Do you mean you have 2x1GB DDr2 or DDR3 ram because the speed 1333 is DDR3 speed but you have said DDR2.

The link you have given for the OCZ Ram is DDR2 ram and will not work on the P55 platform as it requires DDR3. If you have a similar ram kit to the one posted and it is DDR2 then you will have to buy new ram.

If I was in your position I would hold out for a little longer as there is nothing really wrong with your system at the moment. By this I mean nothing is broken or not working and you can still use the computer albeit it is a little slow. Try and save a couple of hundred dollars more if you can and buy this system right the first time round rather than wasting money on stuff that you will only be temporarily using.

Do you mean you have 2x1GB DDr2 or DDR3 ram because the speed 1333 is DDR3 speed but you have said DDR2.

The link you have given for the OCZ Ram is DDR2 ram and will not work on the P55 platform as it requires DDR3. If you have a similar ram kit to the one posted and it is DDR2 then you will have to buy new ram.

If I was in your position I would hold out for a little longer as there is nothing really wrong with your system at the moment. By this I mean nothing is broken or not working and you can still use the computer albeit it is a little slow. Try and save a couple of hundred dollars more if you can and buy this system right the first time round rather than wasting money on stuff that you will only be temporarily using.

Or to put it another way, for your new system, DDR 2 NO ! DDR 3 YES ! :)

Edited by bowiee

Or to put it another way, for your new system, DDR 2 NO ! DDR 3 YES ! :)

Lol bowiee, thanks for making me look like a jackass.

Oh fucksticks, anyone wanna buy some never used DDR 2 ram?

So specs as of what im thinking now.

Case-Lian Li Lancool PC-K62-$160

CPU-Intel Core i5 750- $230

Mobo-GA-P55A-UD3 -$165

GPU- Some $50 thing cos well its still better than what i have

PSU- Corsair VX-450 ATX 450W- $83

RAM: OCZ 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600Mhz- $150

CPU cooler- $50 for the socket that fits :D

Fuck nearly $900 i need a better job :(

Big thanks to all you guys helping me out.

Edited by ducky punky

The ram that bowiee has listed is pretty good as it has lower timings than most other ram for the same price point. There are other options from G.Skill but have larger heat sinks so could be a problem later on if you want to add another 2 sticks of ram as the slots may be blocked depending which cooler you get.

As for the cooler look at getting this one. http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=52900 It is probably the best value cooler you can get. I have got one and it should be good for a 3.6Ghz overclock. I think you would need an additional fan for a 4Ghz overclock.