Sign in to follow this  
stuub27

DVD storage

OK, I am unsure if this is the place for this. Please move if needed...

To the point- I am trying to find a storage unit for my growing DVD and Xbox 360 game collection...but I DON'T want a tower unit- it will not work in my room.

What I want/need is a unit that is no bigger than:

800mm high

900mm wide

330mm deep

All the units I have come across- ikea, howard's, reject shop, freedom and more are either towers (nearly all) or too wide...

So, can anyone please recommend a retailer that might help me? Any advice greatly appreciated.

(Cost is not a be all and end all...as long as it's not ridiculous...which probably rules out custom, unfortunately)

Cheers

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/produ...orage/Bookcases

Perhaps one of their smaller ones - for some of the cube ones you could rotate it 90degrees and it might fit.

But in general, DVD shelves are really hard to come by. I've decided I'll have to build mine (a pair of 2400x1200x150 bookcases with 11 shelves each)

Edited by stadl

I don't know about stuub, but I use book cases now. They do the job, but they're too deep and the shelf spacing is all wrong. You could customise it by drilling more holes and buying more shelves (that'd be hard to find and still look out of place), but I'd much rather a storage unit actually designed to fit DVDs.

*EDIT* Although on that note, another atomic member suggested a bunch of these once, which is the best suggestion so far.

Edited by tantryl

Thanks, stadl, I might have to look closer at Officeworks...

And tantryl, book cases in general may be exploring further...

But, yeah- I'd much rather find a cabinet designed for the purpose...

This is kinda tempting:

http://www.innovations.com.au/Product_Deta...ProductID=41974

In the mahogany

But I'd like to be in the same room as one before I buy, so will see how that goes

I use a big CD wallet for my original DVDs and software (CDs stay in their cases), and a photo album for the DVD/game covers. Still get to browse through the collection, in about one tenth of the space.

I did like my bookshelves stacked with the DVDs on display, but space is always at a premium and now I have it all right there. Since doing it I've gone off the whole media-on-display thing - I recall friends with whole rooms dedicated to their VHS/DVD libraries and it just seems like such a waste.

I use a big CD wallet for my original DVDs and software (CDs stay in their cases), and a photo album for the DVD/game covers. Still get to browse through the collection, in about one tenth of the space.

I did like my bookshelves stacked with the DVDs on display, but space is always at a premium and now I have it all right there. Since doing it I've gone off the whole media-on-display thing - I recall friends with whole rooms dedicated to their VHS/DVD libraries and it just seems like such a waste.

I guess that's the alternative- I already do that with my CDs...well, I copied them all and store the copies as back up should the need arise.

But yeah, I don't really want to have to browse like that with my DVDs and games...I still like the visual element when making a choice

So, I may be dreaming, but I'll cling to the idea for the time being :)

It's a decent idea, but you have to be incredibly organised for it to be practical.

You can use software like this for that visual element of selecting a film, but the level of organisation you'd have to have to accomodate an expanding collection of over a thousand optical discs is kind of mind boggling. You'd have to choose to organise by genre + alphabetically plus seperating for TV/Movie I'd say, and make sure you leave at least 50% of the spaces free for future aquisitions (wouldn't want to have to re-organise a couple hundred DVDs 'cause you ran out of space).

If you were completely OCD about it, it could work.

*EDIT* Although on that note, another atomic member suggested a bunch of these once, which is the best suggestion so far.

That would've been me.

Posted Image

I keep Ikea in business!

I hoped you'd chime in, you bastard :)

If only I had no height restrictions I'd be set!!!

Yeah, I might have to concede that No One seems to make low and wide DVD cabinets and allow for more height than I had hoped

Those low-lying fold out Innovations units you linked earlier aren't so bad. They're better value per DVD than the Ikea Benno Towers (unsure on the Benno shelves, since they don't give a number of how many dvds can be stored).

We had this problem a few years back, an expanding collection of DVD's meant we needed a bigger storage thing, we did have a timber 3 x 50 DVD rack and could have just purchased another one, but in the end we went for a custom 6 x 60 + 1 shelf for box sets timber job made by one of the local furniture places.

It's fantastic for PS2 games, Wii games and DVD's... not so great for BluRay and PS3 games (unless you replace all the cases).

We need to do one of two things now, either get a new unit made with shelves (instead of DVD racks) which will solve the problem longer term but cost us more now.

OR

Shuffle all the DVD's in the racks to completely empty one of the columns and modify it with some matching timber to create racks space an appropriate size for BluRay's.

We had this problem a few years back, an expanding collection of DVD's meant we needed a bigger storage thing, we did have a timber 3 x 50 DVD rack and could have just purchased another one, but in the end we went for a custom 6 x 60 + 1 shelf for box sets timber job made by one of the local furniture places.

It's fantastic for PS2 games, Wii games and DVD's... not so great for BluRay and PS3 games (unless you replace all the cases).

We need to do one of two things now, either get a new unit made with shelves (instead of DVD racks) which will solve the problem longer term but cost us more now.

OR

Shuffle all the DVD's in the racks to completely empty one of the columns and modify it with some matching timber to create racks space an appropriate size for BluRay's.

What did the custom job cost, roughly...?

Also, what kind of place, specifically?

I emailed and called around 10 guys I thought would be able to do it out of the yellow pages and either received no response or was told they don't do that sort of thing.

Bwuh?

They're a different shape. Although smaller, and only a little, so I can't imagine it's too bad.

Yeah, I know they're a different shape...but does 15-odd mm off the top *really* make a difference?

It just struck me as terribly...anal. Like MORE anal than the usual anality that goes with DVD collecting.

Yeah, I know they're a different shape...

Bloody hell, I made that assumption that you didn't, didn't I? That was pretty retarded of me. Sorry.

Yeah, I know they're a different shape...but does 15-odd mm off the top *really* make a difference?

It just struck me as terribly...anal. Like MORE anal than the usual anality that goes with DVD collecting.

Actually, my rack looks like this:

Posted Image

so it's sort of useless for BluRay right now ;)

From memory it was $240, but it was a long while ago now.

As for sending emails, alot of these places aren't really all that electronic, after all they are wood workers :P I just rocked up, pointed to something similar, drew a picture and handed over some cash. Again from memory it was a place called Triple 8 (or 888) furniture in Campbelltown.

Ah. Well, now the BD hassle makes sense!

Yeah...I gave up on that kind of segmented storage for the simple fact that too much stuff is coming in "deluxe" packaging and it messes with the whole order of things.