Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
waynetheweapon

new i5 750 overclocked out of the box?

Hi

I just installed a i5 750 and the first time I went into the BIOS to change the settings I went to change the multiplier from 19 to 20 and found that it had a setting of 21.

the Base clock control was already enabled and some of the other settings were-

BCLK was already set to [200]

CPU Clock drive [800]

PCI E [900]

I am very new to building and overclocking so I was using the Atomic Mag March issue guide to overclocking as a reference and all of my settings were different to theirs

all I had to do to get my system to run at 4.2 Ghz was change the multiplier to 21. it runs perfectly stable and very cool. I was just wondering if this is normal and

would it be worthwhile to overclock it some more?

Thanks

That's weird. Is it a second hand motherboard?

Mobo brand new gigabyte P55 usb3

What's the vcore set at?

the v core was strange as well the reference in the mag has the v core default at 1.26875 to change to 1.35. Mine was set at just over 1.2

Well Done :)

I got mine to 4Ghz with a 20 multi at 1.375V without really trying, never thought about moving the multi because I assumed it was hard locked. My RAM is running at 2000Mhz which is it's limit and if I push the BCLK further I'll have to de-tune the RAM which may reduce overall speed but not if I push the multi. Hmm....

I read that the multiplier was locked too, but I've got mine at 19, aparantly uneven multipliers are more stable. I'm considering trying out 21 which would takeme to 4.3, but I'm still tossing that idea up.

I have 2000 Mhz RAM running at 2040 with a 204Mhz BCLK and a 10x multiplier.

That's weird. Is it a second hand motherboard?

Mobo brand new gigabyte P55 usb3

What's the vcore set at?

the v core was strange as well the reference in the mag has the v core default at 1.26875 to change to 1.35. Mine was set at just over 1.2

something definitely doesn't sound stock there.... do you trust your supplier? where'd you get your parts from?

Edited by s.o.u.p!

I read that the multiplier was locked too, but I've got mine at 19, aparantly uneven multipliers are more stable. I'm considering trying out 21 which would takeme to 4.3, but I'm still tossing that idea up.

I doubt it will even post.

Hi

I just installed a i5 750 and the first time I went into the BIOS to change the settings I went to change the multiplier from 19 to 20 and found that it had a setting of 21.

the Base clock control was already enabled and some of the other settings were-

BCLK was already set to [200]

CPU Clock drive [800]

PCI E [900]

I am very new to building and overclocking so I was using the Atomic Mag March issue guide to overclocking as a reference and all of my settings were different to theirs

all I had to do to get my system to run at 4.2 Ghz was change the multiplier to 21. it runs perfectly stable and very cool. I was just wondering if this is normal and

would it be worthwhile to overclock it some more?

Thanks

Where about's did you buy the items. Im buying the exact same from PC Case Gear.

But besides from that. What do you think of the I5 750 And the Gigabyte ?

:)

i wouldn't mind gettin one of them, saves me the trouble of overclocking it myself (and i don't want to potentially stuff up the cpu)

i wouldn't mind gettin one of them, saves me the trouble of overclocking it myself (and i don't want to potentially stuff up the cpu)

it's not the minefield it used to be, nowadays you can go online and find an article where a group of professionals have put a part through it's grueling paces, come up with a 24Hr stable OC and published the results.

hell, you don't even need to go through all the "step it up a little, benchmark, reboot, repeat" crap anymore, look at atomic issue 110, it just gets you to dive in, dial out the desired performance, run a test, and walk away.

I'm quite happy with my first ever OC and found it to be a simple and rewarding affair.

My first OC on the 1366 platform was a bit hit and miss, took me around an hour to find stable settings. Ended up needing lower bclk and higher multi, but I got it to 4ghz and it runs cool enough. Overclocking is made that much easier by all the programs available to us these days and the fact that overclocking is seen by board manufacturers as a needed things, so there are waaaay more options to play around with than say, 10 years ago. Hell, its even easier than it was 5-6 years ago.

i think someone might have sent it back for change of mind or something like that or they have been playing with it at the place you brought it

Either way...4.2GHz at 1.2vcore...below the voltage required to actually get it working...bows down to uber golden CPU... Either gigabyte is becoming very good with making enthusiast boards that overclock properly straight out of the box or someone had a go at it before you.

Thats wierd,

What I would do is clear your Motherboards CMOS, default settings and then see the multi

Also, CPU-z screenie plz

Rob