Sign in to follow this  
Midnighter

Zimbabwe PM Morgan Tsvangirai rejects gay rights move

Zimbabwe PM Morgan Tsvangirai rejects gay rights move

Morgan Tsvangirai

Posted Image

Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai has joined President Robert Mugabe in dismissing calls to enshrine gay rights in the new constitution.

"I totally agree with the president," he said, state media report.

Homosexual acts are currently illegal in Zimbabwe. Mr Mugabe once said gays were "worse than pigs and dogs", sparking international condemnation.

Gay rights has become a controversial issue in several African countries in recent months.

Mr Tsvangirai joined his long-time rival Mr Mugabe in a power-sharing government a year ago but relations between the two men remain tense.

'Very worrying'

President Mugabe told a belated celebration of International Women's Day that he had recently learned of moves to introduce gay rights in the new constitution currently being discussed.

"That issue is not debatable, it's not up for discussion," he said, according to the state-owned Herald newspaper.

"It is just madness, insanity. The ancestors will turn in their graves should we allow this to happen."

And Mr Tsvangirai said he agreed.

"Women make up 52% of the population... There are more women than men, so why should men be proposing to men?"

Chesterfield Samba, director of the Gays And Lesbians of Zimbabwe (Galz), told the BBC News website he was seeking clarification of the comments.

But he said, if confirmed, they would be "very worrying".

He also confirmed that Galz would be making a submission to the constitutional review commission.

Although homosexual acts are illegal in Zimbabwe, Galz has an office in Harare and Mr Samba said the police generally left them alone.

Supporters of Mr Tsvangirai hope the new constitution will pave the way for free elections, possibly as soon as 2011.

In Uganda, an MP has introduced a draft bill which makes homosexual acts punishable by life in prison and death in some circumstances.

In Malawi, a gay couple has spent three months in jail after holding a party to celebrate their engagement.

And in Kenya, police intervened after rumours that a couple were planning a gay wedding.

---------------

I wonder what sort of "reform" he's actually meant to bring about? And this bit: "Women make up 52% of the population... There are more women than men, so why should men be proposing to men?" , shows he just doesn't get it either. I think he's been given too much credit. Besides, he seems to have "accomplished" fuckall since the whole "power-sharing" debacle.

edit: forgot linky : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8588548.stm

Edited by Midnighter

In Uganda, an MP has introduced a draft bill which makes homosexual acts punishable by life in prison and death in some circumstances.

Looks like their version of 'gay rights' is a bit different from ours then?

But then what they really want is simple decriminalisation, fair enough I wont argue with that.

Most African cultures are very religious (be they Christians or Muslims, ranging from Afrikaners or Shona or Arab). Being gay in Africa is not a good thing. It's very illegal in some countries. It's a good way to get the shit kicked out of you. So. Yeah. Unsurprising. Of course, a lot of these cultures have under contempt for their women (ranging from Afrikaners to Somalis) or children, too. Or their indigenous population (see Khoi-San and Pygmies). Or their poor. Or the majority (usually the poor). Or their 'coloured' (mixed) populations. Being anything other than a straight male following the approved religion of the right ethnicity and socio-economic status would be kind of shit.

Edited by Saponification

I have never known why all these religious people are against gay marriage, I mean Jesus had two dads.

Oh snap!

He also had a mum so maybe it's polygamy you should be fighting for?

I think we might be giving HIM too credit to start with.

Sure, he's better than Mugabe von Hitler, but he's still a conservative pollie from a socially backwards nation.

Not very surprised after all.

I have never known why all these religious people are against gay marriage, I mean Jesus had two dads.

Oh snap!

He also had a mum so maybe it's polygamy you should be fighting for?

lol but remember, she didn't have sex to produce baby Jesus so it was like 2 dads who got some chick to make baby for them via artificial insemination.

More like Gay Wrongs!

I'm not surprised. Tsvangirai might be a "good guy" but he's still an African.

Posted Image

People are the product of their environment. Do you think most of us would be pro gay rights and pro female-rights if we were born in the middle of Riyadh?

We might be liberal compared to the unwashed masses, but not as liberal as we are now.

Tsvangirai is a liberal, but he is an African. And Africans are tribally against homosexuality - generally.

Edited by Leonid

More like Gay Wrongs!

Posted Image

People are the product of their environment. Do you think most of us would be pro gay rights and pro female-rights if we were born in the middle of Riyadh?

We might be liberal compared to the unwashed masses, but not as liberal as we are now.

Tsvangirai is a liberal, but he is an African. And Africans are tribally against homosexuality - generally.

I'm glad you put the word generally in there. :)

More like Gay Wrongs!

Posted Image

Exactly.

And we've only become liberal re: rights for women and children in recent years. We're still only half way there for gays. The process is slow. The change is gradual. It would be very unlikely an electable politician to just emerge from a fiercely homophobic environment championing gay rights. Not arresting homosexuals is the first step. Then should come a refusal to give the state's stamp of approval to assaults against homosexuals. It will take a long time, especially in a very religious country that still has strong tribal/traditional elements, to go from that 'liberal' place to giving gays the right to adopt and marry. We ourselves are not all the way there yet.