Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
t-dog

Sony KDL55EX500 55in LCD Opinions

Hey guys,

Ok I am looking for opinions on a Sony KDL55EX500 55inch Bravia LCD TV. As far as I can tell they are a very new model like a month or two and are meant to replace the old models from Sony. http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-55ex500

Anyway I am asking about this TV in particular because today I went into a Harvey Norman store and saw it and it was listed for $2156. Anyway this price was not correct but they had to give it to me at this price and they had to change the sign straight away. The rrp of it is $2700 and as it is a new model the retail price isn't that much cheaper. For me to get it at this price I had to put a $50 deposit on it which I can get back if I don't want to get it. Do you guys reckon this is a good price for it. It is a 55 inch full HD TV and compared to other panels of this size the price is bloody good. However as they screwed up on the price I wasn't able to do any deal on the TV like getting the extended warranty thrown in for free so it only comes with a 1 yr warranty and if I ask for the extended warranty they are going to hit me up for the full price. I haven't looked at the prices for it anywhere else but the cheapest I could find online was around $2300.

Since I put down a deposit on it they printed me out a receipt so I am planning to go to JB Hi Fi and the Good Guys tomorrow and see if they will beat the price or match it but give me a 3 yr warranty. Is there anywhere else I should try.

The quality of the panel seems pretty decent but they had a pretty shit quality signal on it so it didn't look brilliant. I have read some peoples opinions of it and they all seem to say that the picture quality is great.

Any for the price I am getting it for it doesn't look like I could do any better for the price and It will be a huge step up from my current 42in SD Panasonic plasma.

I guess I am looking for opinions on if I should get it.

Edited by t-dog

It's a 100hz panel so you'll find the picture quality will be awesome but gaming might not be so much. I have the 46" w5500 series with the 100hz and mothionflow 3. It goes well enough that the footy doesn't bother me and I'm fine playing wii games but I dont know about anything with too much detail. Motionflow on the high setting works great for sport but makes other things look a bit weird (I dont really know how to explain why), so I keep switching between high and normal. No motionflow doesn't look that good unless you watch still pictures.

Thanks for the reply fliptopia.

I completely forgot to update this. I went to the Good Guys today to see if they would do a better deal than the price from Harvey Norman and my mate also wanted to buy a 40 inch Samsung series 6 LED backlit LCD for his bedroom so we were going to try buy both the TV’s at the same time to get a better deal. So I them to set up the TV properly and to put a blu-ray on and the image quality was excellent and combined with the size of it is was freakin awesome. I asked them what was the best deal they could do and they were having 15% of all there TV’s so it worked out to be around $2400. I told them I could get a better deal from Harvey and showed them the receipt and he had to go see his manager. The best price they could do was $2140. I asked if they matched the Harvey price if they could give me the extended warranty for that price and they said no. So I said thank you and walked out as they had the TV that my mate wanted for $2200 and that was with the 15% discount and we saw it at Harvey yesterday for $1900 as my mate was trying to get it for $1500 there was no way we could get both our TV’s for the prices we wanted from them.

So next stop was JB and I am so glad that I made that stop. JB had the Sony listed for $2147 which was below the incorrect price that Harvey had given me and only $7 more than the lowest price the Good Guys gave me and they only gave me that price because I had they Harvey receipt. I couldn't believe that was the price they were listing it, as it was Cheaper than Harvey and I hadn’t even started to bargain. They had another sign behind the $2147 price which listed a price of nearly $2700 which is meant to be the real price so JB must have put this price on it to try and shift a few as they are a really new model and they only got them in stock.

So anyway they also had my mates TV for $1800 so we said to them do mine for $2000 flat and his for $1500 with the extended warranty and we will take them and they did them for that price with the extended warranty. I think we could have pushed the price more but I don't think we would have gotten the extended warranty for free if we did.

So to sum up I picked up a brand new latest model, which literally just came out, 55 inch Full HD Sony Bravia LCD for $2000 today and I am ecstatic. The only thing to take my smile away is that they had just run out of stock and I will have to wait for a week or two for mine to come in.

Sorry for the long post.

Dude you did alright. I had to wait a while and save for the Sony KDL55EX500, but picked up one at the end of may for $1700 from myer...i managed to talk the guy down a bit. I've been absolutely loving it...and the ps3 is in the mail :P

Edited by martyr