jubal1

5+ Drive RAID 5 HTPC storage solution

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I have a nice HTPC with 5.3Tb of storage across 7 assorted drives. I'm using around 4.5Tb at the moment, and I'm painfully aware of the risk of losing tons of files if a drive fails.

I've decided that I need a raid solution, and I've been looking around for something suitable, and wondered if the good people of this forum can offer some advice.

What I think I want is a 5 drive RAID 5 array, 5 x 1.5Tb drives either internal or external.

Now I have a Giga-byte EP35-DS3P motherboard with 8 sata ports and an on-board raid controller in the HTPC, but I'm iffy about using that, even though it seems like the obvious solution.

Should I just bite the bullet and use it? are there any issues I should know about? Can I build a 3 drive raid array then expand it later on that mobo?

Is there a suitable 5-6-7-8 drive external solution that doesn't cost a bomb?

My budget for this is around $850, including 3 x 1.5Tb drives (I have 2 already)

Your thoughts, suggestions, cautions would be greatly appreciated.

Well considering the volume of data you want to store and the price you want to do it for. I think DIY may be your best option in the form of nas. You can also tos it in a corner somewhere out of the way and ear-shot. Then just run your htpc on a single drive, should make the box a little quieter.

Well straight of the top your 3 1.5tb drive take $375 of your budget. $475 left for the rest. there are some 4 bay arrays available for that but diy looks like a better option.

Something like OpenSolaris with ZFS would be a perfect solution for you, but without knowing your unix ability, i wouldn't suggest it.

You could save some pennies for a while, and go with a dedicated RAID capable NAS, such as a qnap, thecus, etc

It would cost more, but it is a dedicated standalone OS independent solution, with generally user friendly interfaces.

Edited by Caelum

What OS are you on?

The HTPC is on Windows 7 but I'm not married to it, I use XBMC as my front-end, so I'd consider antything that runs XBMC, it gets used for very little else.

It might be easier to use Windows inbuilt software RAID (dynamic disks).

But otherwise, what Caelum said.

Yep if you went the diy way, then opensolaris and build your box with a zfs filesystem. you need one small drive to install your os to - opensolaris will not install to the raid array.