Takoma

Pic resizing gone away?

Is it just me, or have pics stopped resizing themselves? They used to have 'Reduced to 75%' yadda yadda, now they're just bombing straight in and staying enormous.

I actually don't mind it all that much, except when someone posts unnecessarily enormous 10MP images without scaling them first. So is it my end, or yours?

I dunno, more a matter of user education. 1024px images aren't too bad, but when someone posts 3000x2400px images straight from their camera it's a bit much.

it's a javascript thingy, all the other javascript stuff seems to be working though.

I prefer them not being resized. Otherwise you find yourself trying to scroll down to a specific post, then the stupid resize script kicks in and shrinks the page, and you lose where you're up to.

I'd rather a picture size restriction than the resize script.

I prefer them not being resized. Otherwise you find yourself trying to scroll down to a specific post, then the stupid resize script kicks in and shrinks the page, and you lose where you're up to.

Yeah, I'd tap that. 1024px along the longest edge would be a nice limit.

I use Photoshop CS4 and Boxtop ProJPEG, but I'm mental when it comes to JPEG compression artefacts.

Yeah, I'd tap that. 1024px along the longest edge would be a nice limit.

I think 640 would be better for those of us with small screen's.

I think the majority here may have large resolution monitors.

Mine does 1024x768, but I think it's better if I don't have to sidescroll to view the entire picture's.

I dunno, more a matter of user education. 1024px images aren't too bad, but when someone posts 3000x2400px images straight from their camera it's a bit much.

Yeah.

+1 to auto resize to 1024. I hate pics too big, but I also hate them way too small and then a popup when i click on them.

As long as the resizing algorithm is good, and doesn't produce the jaggies you see when a browser scales an image.

Yeeeuurrghh.

(There's my image quality thing going off again :p)

I didn't want to say anything about it, for fear of the shitty resizing being re-introduced.

Hopefully this forces the lazier bastards on the forum to be a bit more thoughtful and resize before posting, or at least face the wrath of some annoyed users.

It makes it much easier and nicer for looking at posted images, that's for sure.

Yeah, makes mobile browsing SO great...

Lo-Fi is a PITA and yet having images makes browsing on the go in normal mode almost impossible in certain threads.

Vote for removal of images altogether here or at least bring back the thumbnail.

Yeah, makes mobile browsing SO great...

Lo-Fi is a PITA and yet having images makes browsing on the go in normal mode almost impossible in certain threads.

Vote for removal of images altogether here or at least bring back the thumbnail.

Posted Image

Nice comeback. Way to explain just why we need images and why they don't suck.

Oh wait. I see. Images should be used to post ridiculous pseudo comments without actually adding any value to the thread, nor actually putting forward an opinion that others can discuss in any meaningful way.

Thanks for making my point.

Nice comeback. Way to explain just why we need images and why they don't suck.

Oh wait. I see. Images should be used to post ridiculous pseudo comments without actually adding any value to the thread, nor actually putting forward an opinion that others can discuss in any meaningful way.

Thanks for making my point.

Dearest Chaos.Lady,

Back in the day of 2.0 to 2.6 embedding of images was requested a number of times because many of the forum users felt that, for a tech forum, the functionality was highly under-developed. That's not to say, however, that that is a valid reason for actually enabling the feature on this board. One must understand that images are a practical means of demonstrating material easily without leaving the forum. By this, I mean that when an image is embedded, you don't have to leave the forum in order to see it, by clicking a link which will either open a new tab/window or God-forbid show it in the same window. Commercially this is more beneficial to the traffic of the site, as users often find themselves easily leaving the site when clicking on an image because they are not paying attention to the site anymore.

As stated, previously, embedding images is actually a standard feature of this PHP based board, and it's a simple tick box which allows or disallows users to use this functionality. Because this is the case, it would be common sense to make the most of what this forum has to offer or else it would make the change over to 3.0 uneconomical. We already have lost various functionality from the change, such as linking in tags, etc, so not only would removing embedding make it uneconomical, but in fact the site's functional value would be dramatically decreased.

This is also debatably a tech forum, and as such there is a level of expectation of the technology available to use on such a site. If we do not seek and use advancements that are on offer then we might as well use Atomic 1.0 again.

Also if images are enabled on LoFi then that's a site issue, not a reason to remove an entire site function.

I'm happy to admit that in threads such as tutorial ones etc images are certainly useful.

What I can't see, or justify, is the fact that these threads are outnumbered in massive proportions by ones where images are used inappropriately, stupidly, spammingly, to shock, to irritate and to annoy.

This is not the fault of the feature but of certain of those who use it. While I hate to inconvenience those who do use it properly, it seems a small sacrafice to make to cut out the sheer waste of bandwidth most of the embedded images seem to be.

A link can be used for an external picture, and while it might seem a little dark ages, it's also a fairly small price to pay.

Would it be possible to implement a user/poster selectable option to have thumbnails or not? Maybe a compromise to the situation?

And yes, I agree with Chaos. Sometimes image use here goes over the top, often not adding anything to the discussion.

I'm happy to admit that in threads such as tutorial ones etc images are certainly useful.

What I can't see, or justify, is the fact that these threads are outnumbered in massive proportions by ones where images are used inappropriately, stupidly, spammingly, to shock, to irritate and to annoy.

This is not the fault of the feature but of certain of those who use it. While I hate to inconvenience those who do use it properly, it seems a small sacrafice to make to cut out the sheer waste of bandwidth most of the embedded images seem to be.

A link can be used for an external picture, and while it might seem a little dark ages, it's also a fairly small price to pay.

Examples?

Whilst I don't read a great deal of threads in the GR, and even less in the other sections, I've seen very little of what you speak of.

Personally I feel it adds more character and ability to express oneself (Provided it's kept to the Green Eggs and [spiced] Ham room), and just requires people to be considerate with the image proportions.

Shock images? I'd expect the moderators to cut those once reported, if not having come across them themselves. And you'll find that behaviour anywhere and everywhere on forums of any notable size, it's a fact of life. Same with the annoyance/irritation/spamming etc.

What would be nicest is if Haymarket would allow the devs to work out how to give each user the ability to assign their own image embedding settings. Buuuuut, considering the mainstay of the Atomic forums really does only seem to be the Green Room, I can understand why they don't see much need to invest that time towards here.

Has anyone seen the lates version of Google Maps?

I can search this image just pefectly on my iPhone!

Wish I had an iPad!

[MAXX]

I've pulled this image.

Edited by iamthemaxx