Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
njbignell

Bugs in website design... Please help

The site I am working on can be seen here, it's working perfectly in Firefox but there are some really obvious compatability errors with Internet Explorer.

Can anyone help?

Remove that annoying music and sounds on the flash banner,

Its working fine in Opera, Firefox and IE7 for me, IE6 is just a bitch and sometimes you just have to live with that

Remove that annoying music and sounds on the flash banner,

Its working fine in Opera, Firefox and IE7 for me, IE6 is just a bitch and sometimes you just have to live with that

I'm definitely going to remove the music....

Doesn't work in IE7 for me though, the footer doesn't get pushed to the bottom of the page when the content is larger than the screen... Here's a screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23585805@N06/2929796733/

um... i take it having such a massive amount of divs is partly to achieve the rounded corners? it's just that they make it a nightmare to troubleshoot :o(

might i suggest you look into implementing something like jquery curvycorners instead? using a system like that will reduce both the size of your xhtml and the room for errors.

as to your ie(6/7) footer issue, i can't really tell quite where your footer begins, but it should certainly be fixable. it could be as simple as ie misinterpreting an uncleared float, or something like that.

i'm attempting to deconstruct everything to see if i can isolate just exactly where the problem is occurring, but it could take a while.

It doesn't appear to be happening on the main page because the content finishes before the end of the page, have a look at the other pages.

I don't really want to have to rewrite all the pages because that's the only thing I have to fix before the website is finished and I've got a deadline to meet.

Also, id suggest removing the tacky XHTML / CSS validation down the bottom, not to mention its doesnt actually validate like it says... very unprofessional.

Using 1 million DIV tags to create the curve in the right hand side is bad in all kinds of ways. The easiest way would be to just put that as a background image, if not then use 4 tiny images for each of the corner curves.

The DIV tags are for positioning all the elements, I'll get rid of the validation images if I can't get it to validate. For now I just need to fix the problem with the floating DIVs.

ok, try this and see if it fixes things (i can't be sure without all the background images alvailable locally on my machine);

in your css (line 154), you have this -

.content { 
	height:318px;   
	width:100%
}
change the height from 318px to auto.

Thanks a lot for that, it's been driving me crazy.

It worked on every page except another one I currently working on: (www.relevancy.com.au/temporary/contacts.php), I should be able to fix it though.

I still find it highly unnecessary (and strange lol) to be using so many div tags for a tiny image like this:

http://www.relevancy.com.au/temporary/images/m1-v-dr.gif

<div class="d_r m1_t_dr">
		 <div class="d_c  m1_b_dr">
		  <div class="d_t  m1_l_dr">
		   <div class="d_r  m1_r_dr">
			<div class="d_c  m1_l_t">
			 <div class="d_t  m1_r_t">
			  <div class="d_r m1_l_b">
			   <div class="d_t m1_r_b" >

Other then that there are a few validation errors that can be easily corrected and you should be right :)

I still find it highly unnecessary (and strange lol) to be using so many div tags for a tiny image like this:

http://www.relevancy.com.au/temporary/images/m1-v-dr.gif

<div class="d_r m1_t_dr">
		 <div class="d_c  m1_b_dr">
		  <div class="d_t  m1_l_dr">
		   <div class="d_r  m1_r_dr">
			<div class="d_c  m1_l_t">
			 <div class="d_t  m1_r_t">
			  <div class="d_r m1_l_b">
			   <div class="d_t m1_r_b" >

Other then that there are a few validation errors that can be easily corrected and you should be right :)

lol.. thats what you get for using a web template.

IE's conditional includes can be handy to work around bugs.

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="fix_bugs_in_ie.css" />
<![endif]-->
;)

absolutely.

except that in this case, it was fixed without the need for work-arounds, hacks or conditional includes :o)

absolutely.

except that in this case, it was fixed without the need for work-arounds, hacks or conditional includes :o)

Was more of an expression of annoyance, having just spent a couple of hours fixing bugs in IE6 >=o/

Oh well, that's why they pay me...

Why does it have a mixture of fonts?

It would look better if the text was consistent.

The bold parts also look a bit strange, I expect them to be links..

Why does it have a mixture of fonts?

It would look better if the text was consistent.

The bold parts also look a bit strange, I expect them to be links..

The fonts are only different between headings and content, that's pretty standard.

I'm assuming the bold text is for "SEO". On that point it's a waste of time (google etc strip tags before crawling content), and it makes your site look like your targeting search engines and not clients, well that's my opinion of it anyway. SEO is lost on this site anyway with the heavy use of flash (that could largely be achieved with javascript).

Oh and your site fails at usability 101 by not providing alternate navigation to flash. This also means that search engines also can't crawl all of your site.