Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Where do you get your ethernet patch cables from?

I've got a 100m roll and just make em up as I need em. Suprising how it comes in handy every now and again :)

Cheers

I've got a 100m roll and just make em up as I need em. Suprising how it comes in handy every now and again :)

Cheers

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. Very good for custom lengths but I also normally have a few standard length ones around that I buy from Anyware. So I'm not much help to robzy either :P

I've been meaning to do that. Outlay for a hundred metres of cable, a bag of rj45 clips and a crimping tool would be a little bit expensive though, but it would pay for itself eventually...

I was only needing 10, so at $2 a pop it was just easier to buy them premade.

Here's a question though, what's the difference between...

a) CAT5E Network Cable

&

b) CAT6 Patch Lead

I realise one is CAT5E and one is CAT6, but what about the "patch" thing? Does that mean it's a crossover cable?

I used to buy a roll or Cat5 and make my own, but it's cheaper to just buy them from DSE or where ever.

Cross over cable basically means the RX and TX lines are crossed over. A patch lead has no real meaning other than it's usually a short cable for "patching" between a couple of Ethernet ports (or between audio jacks on a mixing desk).

Edited by SledgY

I was only needing 10, so at $2 a pop it was just easier to buy them premade.

Here's a question though, what's the difference between...

a) CAT5E Network Cable

&

b) CAT6 Patch Lead

I realise one is CAT5E and one is CAT6, but what about the "patch" thing? Does that mean it's a crossover cable?

q1 .... q2

http://www.google.com can also be used to help clarify more if you so need :p

Oh cool, I thought it was "Network Cables" and "Crossover Cables," but "Network Cables" are better known as patch cables.

Thanks.

Rob.

I pinched a box full of leads from work. They're only allowed to use certified leads, so I replaced all the ones that weren't marked and took em home.

I used to buy a roll or Cat5 and make my own, but it's cheaper to just buy them from DSE or where ever.

You cant be serious?! 30 dollars for a 15 metre cable!

not to mention that DSE only sell Cat6 so they can justify the outrageous mark-up

You cant be serious?! 30 dollars for a 15 metre cable!

DSE used to be cheap (back before they turned into another cheap electronics retailer and no longer a hobby shop). But many computer stores sell you a cable for less than buying the parts (a decent crimping tool isn't cheap either), plus less time screwing about making them. Much rather be gaming than wiring up a network cable...

I just bought a big 100m roll and a bag of RJ45 plugs from Dueltek and borrowed a crimping tool from work. This way I can make cables to whatever length I need, keeping cable mess down to a minimum.

not to mention that DSE only sell Cat6 so they can justify the outrageous mark-up

MSY

Cat6

$1 a meter

no justification.

I prefer to buy the cables than make them.

It's a pain in the bum to get stranded Cat5e cable (Cat6 crimp plugs are not really purchasable. So Cat5e it is). If you plan on just plugging stuff in and never even slightly bumping it, then solid core is fine. But patch leads by nature need to be flexible. So, purchase the patch leads and you get heaps more flexibility, tighter bend radius tolerance and guarantees of Gigabit networking (Not an issue for 1 or 2 metre leads, but for the 20 - 30 m leads it can make a huge difference).

AD

Cheers

+1

Custom lengths and make as required.

It's a pain in the bum to get stranded Cat5e cable (Cat6 crimp plugs are not really purchasable. So Cat5e it is). If you plan on just plugging stuff in and never even slightly bumping it, then solid core is fine. But patch leads by nature need to be flexible. So, purchase the patch leads and you get heaps more flexibility, tighter bend radius tolerance and guarantees of Gigabit networking (Not an issue for 1 or 2 metre leads, but for the 20 - 30 m leads it can make a huge difference).

Thanks for the info :) These are actually 50cm leads that's in the data cabinet downstairs, hopefully never to be moved :P

Rob.