adam93

Can't get L4D to work! =(

ok, so EB had left 4 dead for 25 bucks on disc, i figure GREAT!, no need to waste my DL and i save 5 bucks and i get a disc. I get it home, ready to install it, insert the disc, and up pops an error. GREAT!.

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system info to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

WHAT THE HELL. Is there no way around this?. do i just return it?. google is no help. and i really want to play this game =(

im running windows 7 pro 64 bit btw.

running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, download L4D off steam and haven't had a problem.

running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, download L4D off steam and haven't had a problem.

I was hoping that you could still DL it FOR steam and enter in the licence manually... but there is no option to do that from what i can see.

Did you do a clean install of Win7 or an upgrade from Vista?

A quick google suggests a few issues with doing an in place upgrade to win 7 and L4D.

Also try stopping the dvd autorun and then exploring the DVD, right clicking the install executable and selecting "run as administrator".

Do you have UAC on or off? If off try turning it on and if on try turning it off.

Yes it was a clean install of windows 7, and yes i have tried opening the disc and trying to run the installer as administrator, and yes UAC is off =).

nukejokey, i will try that when i get home from work today, thank you.

I love steam, I just copied my steam folder over from my Vista install to my Win7 install!!

and yes UAC is off =).

Strange as it may seem actually try with UAC on.

Oh and your win 7 is a proper full release version not some funny version of Ultimate?

and yes UAC is off =).

Strange as it may seem actually try with UAC on.

Oh and your win 7 is a proper full release version not some funny version of Ultimate?

haha. all legit, windws 7 PRO (not ultimate)

If you have a mate with the games activate it, it will start downloading , stop that.. have them back it up via steam backup.

restore onto yours (only works if you own game)

l4d 1 or 2 can validate for a while but you don't have to guess what gcf files 2 copy or do much/any downloading

Edited by gunny

If you have a mate with the games activate it, it will start downloading , stop that.. have them back it up via steam backup.

l4d 1 or 2 can validate for a while but you don't have to guess what gcf files 2 copy or do much/any downloading

what if i install L4D onto windows xp virtual machine, and copy it accross that way?

He doesnt have to start downloading it at all if his mates backs it up.

He doesnt have to start downloading it at all if his mates backs it up.

If hes not Activated/Registered the game to his steam account it wont restore.

Well thats what happened at LANS when ppl buy games online but forget to activate them and restore my backup.

what if i install L4D onto windows xp virtual machine, and copy it accross that way?

This might work. You just dont get just GCF files to copy back to your "real os" steam you get <YourSteam>\SteamApps\Common\Left for Dead

You also need to get the NCF files in SteamApps.

Steam Backup would take care of all that. If XP mode lets you install the game i'd strongly recommend not running it because XP mode has no real video card (3d game support).

If installing it on a VM works, then do it that way. Install, copy to your steam folder on win 7, you dont need all the ncf/gcf files because its classed as a 3rd party game, so the bulk of it is in steam/steamapps/common/left 4 dead

*EDIT* Valve havent been putting games into ncf/gcf libraries for a long time, all the ncf/gcf files contain now are config files for games, usually a few meg in size, takes fuck all to redownload them.

The only games that use those files for compression anymore are hl2/css etc.

Edited by nukejockey

No worky on VM lol. i had an idea though, if i just install it onto a vista machine?. then copy the install files accross that way?

No worky on VM lol. i had an idea though, if i just install it onto a vista machine?. then copy the install files accross that way?

If its faulty media. You need replacement from where you purchased.

Otherwise same advice as installing via VM, Just get it to work ANYWHERE and backup/copy files to your real pc and verify your games cache (under properties of Left for Dead) and your away.

IF you get an error message hit up steampowered.com for a detailed explaination.

Steam does not care where you install it. you cant have 2 logged in instances of the same account, it kicks the other instance off. Also it asks you to confirm Terms and Conditions when u do that.

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system info to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

Corrupt media! Take it in to your place of purchase and get the media swapped over.