Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

windows firewall alternative.

anyone know a firewall that is totally configurable?

By default id like all ports closed or stealthed, and i set which ones i'd like to open and to what ip address.

No firewall seems to offer this simple feature.

at the momen using comodo which is nice, id just like something raw.

I would suggest Zone alarm, it is a little difficult to configure but it does a good job. But really a good router will do a far better job IMHO.

Edited by bowiee

ive used zone alarm for ages, switched to comodo as it was better.

Ill look at winroute.

Im very impressed with comodo so far.

IPTABLES

iptables -P INPUT DROP

iptables -P OUTPUT DROP

iptables -P FORWARD DROP

done!

ok I'll go back to my corner...

/edit

Actually this not as silly as it sounds. As of Vista/Server 2008 windows includes a new Packet filtering api. Would make it possible to implement iptables or similar system on windows.

Edited by SledgY

I may try zone alarm before I format; I used the old version. COmodo is awesome but tries to be too user friendly.

I think its more powerful overall, but it is "kind and gentle" untill you get DEEP into the logs and stuff, which makes me feel unsafe. I want raw blunt power.

I would say Comodo (there's a x32 and x64 version) who not only make a damn fine firewall, they also do AV etc, well worth a look.

I think there's a proper GUI available for the win7 firewall, which isn't supposed to be too bad

as i said; im using comodo and its very good.

Problem being a few 'power user' things in my oppinion.

It lacks a 'list' of OK programs after ive 'remembered my settings' I cant 'port forward' manually before things request it (i can 'trust an app', but i want a single port) and so on.

im updating to the latest version to see if any of hese things have been fixed, but Zone Alarm beat it back in the day. So i'll try again.

I think i'll jump onto AV comparatives and look at avira vs comodo.

as i said; im using comodo and its very good.

Problem being a few 'power user' things in my oppinion.

It lacks a 'list' of OK programs after ive 'remembered my settings' I cant 'port forward' manually before things request it (i can 'trust an app', but i want a single port) and so on.

im updating to the latest version to see if any of hese things have been fixed, but Zone Alarm beat it back in the day. So i'll try again.

I think i'll jump onto AV comparatives and look at avira vs comodo.

Winroute is a complete firewall+routing package. It can handle all your DHCP, DNS forwarding, NAT, port forwarding, port blocking, etc etc, it's an awesome package.

and, Zone Alarm has gone the way of noobtown. GUI's with "modes" for everything.

Winroute i'll have to look into; its not freeware though is it?

Thus far commodo is doing an amazing job really, just not as manually configurable.

No, Winroute isn't free. It's relatively expensive actually.

You can get a 30 day trial though, if that helps. It's really fantastic software though.