Master_Scythe

WTF is with my computer trying to talk to things!

So someone on my network has a worm; the catch being its old and infects the RECYCLER folder, as well as DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS; since these are locked down, or non existant being on Win7 Im pretty sure im safe.

a full antivirus scan confirms im OK, as it always picked it up right away on USB drives. and didnt allow it to execute.

looking around. everything seems clean. No rogue processes\services running, My firewall shows no odd connections outbound, however PeerBlock keeps stopping my PC trying to extablish an outgoing with several different Russian and Chinese IP addresses over UDP ports! (all trying to leave via UDP 63045, which google doesnt raise any alarms for).

All im running, is Skype (which COULD be the culprit, but the firewall says its only using TCP ports atm), Pidgin On MSN, and Warcraft3 on BoredAussie (an australian hosted private battle.net).

Think a worm is trying to phone home? Its blocked, so no big deal, but still... looking forward to a format.

Did you take notice of everything in the PB logs before you became aware of this worm? Have you tried closing all programs except PB?

Grab the sysinterals suite and fire up tcpview. I believe it will associate a PID with the UDP packet, perhaps helping you narrow down the search for the rogue program? (haven't used it myself for udp, but docco indicates it can do it)

Open a command prompt (Start button > type "CMD", Press enter) type "Netstat -a" and press enter to see what connections your machine has at the moment and see what ports it is listening on.

Edited by TOTTHEAD