TheMojorising

Xbox 360 Third Party Drives

The 120 gig hard drive in my xbox seems to be filling up and I was wondering if anyones had any experience using the ones provided by third parties? Ive seen a few of them on ebay and was curious about them...

After what MS did to the datel memory units I probably wouldn't recommend it.

After what MS did to the datel memory units I probably wouldn't recommend it.

This is what I'm worried about...

To the OP, I posted the same question on OCAU, replies were a few people using them with no issues. Only problem I have is what Microsoft might have in store for them down the track...

AFAIK they're limited to 120gb and they do not get you banned from Live. If you're buying a cheap one from China they don't include the 3rd partition which has the xbox1 emulator. I went through a lot of trouble pulling mine apart and finding this magical missing partition from warez sources just to get it working.. and the website I bought it from said it was a legit HDD which made it all the more irritating

I have a 120Gb drive bought from Deal Extreme & have had no issues at all with it so far. Been using for over 6 months now

Was looking at one of the 250 gig ones - like the Hard Drives that are coming with the new special elite packages. I dont plan on doing anything dodgysuch as playing copied/pirates games or the like, I just prefer keeping more stuff installed on the things and obviously the more space the better.

I guess the other option is selling my current elite xbox and buying up one of the new special packages thats out. Problem is I have ME2, COD4M2....

Well considering the April 6 Update is coming up, I suppose everyone will have a Hard Drive... at least a USB Flash Drive.

I bought my own WD hard drive and flashed it with 120GB firmware and it has been going really well. That being said, you never know when MS are going to find a way to tag non official HDD. The thing is, it is going to be quite hard to implement a check as you are quite literally flashing a hard drives ROM to make it think it is an actual 360HDD.

But time will tell. Wait until after the current 360 update before you purchase I spose!

Just configured my 500gb Samsung External HD, seems to be working so far. It's a shame that I can only have 16gb of space for the Xbox 360, but hey, it's a welcome relief after suffering with 512mb for a year and a half.

After the update today I can confirm that the hard drive is still working ;) Pity my xbox died... had to buy a new arcade >:( damn video card overheated. Crappy 1st gen 360...

Just configured my 500gb Samsung External HD, seems to be working so far. It's a shame that I can only have 16gb of space for the Xbox 360, but hey, it's a welcome relief after suffering with 512mb for a year and a half.

Can you use the external to watch movies and stuff?

Yep, actually - my set up involves a 2 tb drive shoved into one of those USB HDD caddys - with all my movies, tv and music as well as my pron.

No point having pron if you cant enjoy it on the big screen from the comfort from the couch.

Yep, actually - my set up involves a 2 tb drive shoved into one of those USB HDD caddys - with all my movies, tv and music as well as my pron.

No point having pron if you cant enjoy it on the big screen from the comfort from the couch.

As long it's converted to the correct format, it'll work, mp4, mp3, aac, wmv, wma, and avi to name a few.

EDIT: To clarify the whole thing, the 16gb partition for the Xbox 360 data, is limited to game profiles, marketplace, DLC and extra content for games such as Forza 3 and Final Fantasy etc.

The rest of the external device can be used as a normal hard drive, pics, music and movies can be shown on the 360, just as long it's in the correct format. And when you transfer your profile over to the new drive, it stays there. No turning back.

Edited by krispy89

After the update today I can confirm that the hard drive is still working ;) Pity my xbox died... had to buy a new arcade >:( damn video card overheated. Crappy 1st gen 360...

Can I have the old one?

See this is the problem I am facing at the moment.

I have the Halo Edition 360 which came with the stupid 20GB HDD, and I am desperately running out of space. Im tempted to buy a 60GB Drive and play doctor and sawp the casings but scared it will stuff it up.

Stupid limited edition colouring.

I upgraded my hdd finally, as long as you have a WD BEVS OR BEKT model can upgrade the hdd no worries. I purchased a 500 gig hdd for my laptop and put the WD BEKT 7200 rpm in xbox. Formatted it using hdd hackr and away i went. This was a 320 GB HDD but had to format it to 250GB which hddhackr did 4 me. Working no worries and fine on live.

See this is the problem I am facing at the moment.

I have the Halo Edition 360 which came with the stupid 20GB HDD, and I am desperately running out of space. Im tempted to buy a 60GB Drive and play doctor and sawp the casings but scared it will stuff it up.

Stupid limited edition colouring.

I did this with a 120 Gig HDD (before the 60s were an option). Was a simple mod and at least the HDD still looks right. Still tempted to get a 250 and do the same.

I dont use an xbox or anything but am getting more intrested, what fucks me off most though is the cost of a HDD for an xobx its just stupid!!!

Wfucks me off most though is the cost of a HDD for an xbox its just stupid!!!

Exactly, Microsoft recognised this and released the update. Problem solved.

You can believe me or not on this one but it's relevant. I used to play WoW, met some great people, still talk to a few of them even though I don't play anymore. One of them works for MS, in the xbox division no less. They've provided enough evidence to me over the years for me to believe this to be true of a person I met on the internet. I asked them if there were any plans to put the kybosh on third party HDDs like they did memory units. While they couldn't discuss future plans (This person never does, no matter how much I pry. Sticks to their NDA real good.) They said there is no way to tell if you're running a third party HDD so there is no way to brick them like they did the memory units.

Edit: As a quick addendum to how much I trust this person I've just spent about $90 bucks on a 250GB HDD and transfer kit from http://www.dragonext.com/game/microsoft-xbox-360.html. I'm a notorious cheapskate so I wouldn't have spent the money if I thought the drive would even have the possibility of being killed.

Edited by Aki54

I'm waiting for my launch-day 360 to brick itself.. then I'll get a new one and get HDMI. >.>

I'm waiting for my launch-day 360 to brick itself.. then I'll get a new one and get HDMI. >.>

I'll take it off your hands when it's "bricked" ;P

Lol, my video card kept overheating so I went out and bought an Arcade! Has the HDMI bits so I just tacked on everything else XD