Just ordered a Zenithink ZT-180 direct from the manufacturer.

Paid US 203 all up and hope to have it my hot little hands in about 2 weeks.

Looks very similar to the Malata one and also comes with Android 2.1

Lets see how this goes

Rob

Resistive touchscreen ftw

Lets see how this goes

Rob

The Malata one is worlds ahead of the Zenithink. Better internals (Nvidia Tegra), capacitive screen, and doesn't look like a knockoff.

Lets see how this goes

Rob

The Malata one is worlds ahead of the Zenithink. Better internals (Nvidia Tegra), capacitive screen, and doesn't look like a knockoff.

Ah yes but i'm an impatient sod and i want my toys now! :)

Also for the price i'm prepared to to a take a shot in the dark and see what fun can be had with this and my soon to arrive Samsung Galaxy S.

Have you found any pricing on the Malata one as their website seems to take forever to load?

I don't think it's for sale yet. Also, the Galaxy S is an awesome phone, so it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be a better tablet than the tablet. :P

I don't think it's for sale yet. Also, the Galaxy S is an awesome phone, so it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be a better tablet than the tablet. :P

The Galaxy S does sound like a bit of a winner so the wait for my order is killing me.

I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about Android 3.0 do you know whether 2.1 devices will be able to run 3.0 when it comes out or will i need to wait on a Samsung/Zenithink specific versions of 3.0?

You probably could, but it'd have to be rooted. Heck, the original G1 can run Froyo! That being said, I doubt the Zenithink will get rooted, since it's an unpopular device.

You probably could, but it'd have to be rooted. Heck, the original G1 can run Froyo! That being said, I doubt the Zenithink will get rooted, since it's an unpopular device.

Good to know cheers.

So how long you going to wait before you grab an android tablet?

If i only bought technology i 'needed' my games room would be next to empty and my bank account rather full. ;-p

I was interested in getting an iPad but after seeing the Malata's SMB-A1011 video I would love to see that running. Battery life and video playback would be my two interests. I know next to nothing about Android but.

Edited by Mills

I totally agree,

But my quote said "looks similar"

Id much rather the Malata over the Zenithink - bought it Just on the basis so I can tinker with it and the mrs can read her books and stop taking my laptop :)

Well, my package had just been sent from China - hope to have it sometime next week.

After conversations with the wholesaler, they mentioned it was the final production which was due for release last Friday.

Rob

Hi all

Just got my zt-180, typing on it right now. This has the updated Android.

Ill get some pics up later and write up a mini review

Rob

Here are some initial pics of the zt-180 I received.

As received from the courier

Posted Image

Actual box

Posted Image

The inside packaging and Tablet itself

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Build quality: 6.5/10

Performance : 7.5/10

Software: 5/10 Current Android 2.1 installed is very young and full of bugs - This is not to much of a concern for me as many developers out there weighing out these bugs and creating custom roms to suit. As a browser and video player - Excellent!

Screen quality : 7/10. This comes with resistive touch screen so using your fingers may pose a little bit of difficulty. No multi touch support here. As this tablet was originally released/developed with WinCE, I have no issue with this. I use this tablet with a stylus and accuracy is above satisfactory.

I'll elaborate more later as I gotta get to work now

Cheers

Rob

Software: 5/10 Current Android 2.1 installed is very young and full of bugs - This is not to much of a concern for me as many developers out there weighing out these bugs and creating custom roms to suit. As a browser and video player - Excellent!

I'm waiting on mine to arrive, but i was wondeirng where you were finding the custom roms?

Cheers

J

I'm waiting on mine to arrive, but i was wondeirng where you were finding the custom roms?

Cheers

J

Well I am closely following the below - Zenithink have officially released an updated firmware on 04.08 which has improved the video function.

XDA developers

There is also discussion on Slatedroid as they are also intending to have a custom firmware released.

Rob.

Anyone seen the M16 aPed/iPed?

10.2" screen, 1GHz Arm, Wifi... and Android 2.1

Though I would like the Asus EeePad wish it was out.

Then there is the FlatPad A10

Im -really- looking forward to the Android 3.0 tablets just around the corner. I think thats what I will hold off for. I've seen some of the chinese one that have 2 USB ports and also run Ubuntu, which means Device to NTFS Ext 2.5" HD backups on the fly.

Anyone seen the M16 aPed/iPed?

10.2" screen, 1GHz Arm, Wifi... and Android 2.1

Though I would like the Asus EeePad wish it was out.

Then there is the FlatPad A10

Im -really- looking forward to the Android 3.0 tablets just around the corner. I think thats what I will hold off for. I've seen some of the chinese one that have 2 USB ports and also run Ubuntu, which means Device to NTFS Ext 2.5" HD backups on the fly.

Look above

All based around the Zenithink ZT-180 - Same item, just different branding. I had got mine directly from zenithink through one of my clients who do some local distribution for them in China.

Flatcomputing are expecting to release a custom rom tomorrow so I am eagerly awaiting to try that out. Will let you know my thoughts.

Good think about this slate is that you can flash as much as you like and you wont brick it at all. At the moment, I have WinCE running - bloody fast!!

Rob

Edited by motiv

Motiv - how much did it set you back? Also, can I plug in a USB keyboard/wireless receiver? If my phone + bluetooth keyboard plan doesn't work, a tablet or netbook for uni is the next option!

My ePad (Zenithink) arrived Friday afternoon.

Seems pretty decent so far but as mentioned by motiv, due to the resistive touch screen, you're better off using a stylus (i'm using a spare DS one for the time being).

Whilst my packaging was the same as motiv's mine shipped without the plug adapter or headphones, no biggy but would have made it easier to play with at work.

Not sure if this was to be expected but the android 2.1 (update1) running on this thing always refers to the tablet as a phone, throughout the entire settings the device is basically a smartphone.

Will try my hand at messing around with different roms and being a complete newbie to these things will be able to pass on just how easy it really is. ;-)

A mate of mine is getting the ePad. Ill have to have a look at that before i make any comments...

Right then my first attempts at updating my zt-180 did not go as smoothly as i would've liked...by which i mean i now have two laptops that now crash whenever i set the pad up to be flashed (press the face button and the power button) and connect it via usb.

Now this probably says more about me than it does about the difficulty of flashing the pad, as the process outlined sounds quite simple and i'm sure motiv is flashing this thing with no hiccups at all.

Essentially you can just download a couple files from clever guys at xda, one is the bootloader and the other is the new rom. The bootloader has some pictures in a doc to walk you through a quick set up. Then its time to place your pad into flash mode plug it into your lappy by usb, upon which you are asked to install drivers for the device, which have been nicely provided with the bootloader.

This is where my grief began. First off vista didn't like the drivers and secondly my pad refused to stay in flash mode, instead it would stay blank for a while, which was good, but then the 'epad' logo would appear and eventually the thing would be fully on. Which caused windows to have a meltdown trying to connect and install driversto a device that kept changing states.

So as i said i'm more than likely screwing up something on a very basic level (i.e the drivers and software are compatible with my variation of vista (both lappys are running 32bit) or my lil zen ain't behaving itself by slowly waking up). Any help would be greatly appreciated as restoring laptops to a functional state is not how i like to spend my sunday afternoons.

Cheers

James

ps this was all posted using the zen..stabbing a keyboard with a stylus can be quite cathartic ;-p

for everyone who has one, whats your battery life like, currently im only getting 1-2 hours with little to medium use (mostly just looking at PDF files for school...) is that about what everyone else is getting for their Android Pads?