for everyone who has one, whats your battery life like, currently im only getting 1-2 hours with little to medium use (mostly just looking at PDF files for school...) is that about what everyone else is getting for their Android Pads?

Yep mine is around 2hrs for general use, but i'm still on the original software, not sure if 0804 or 0809 (i think that's the name of them) have led to improved battery life.

gay. wonder if someone has figured out a way to switch the battery for something that will last longer :P

In terms of flashing the unit jombib,

Firstly, you need to manually setup the drivers via the 'have disk' function in vista. Make sure your os is 32bit only.

Once setup, to prevent the unit to boot in while in flash mode, setup all the required files via the boot loader program first, then connect the unit, then hit the flash button. Don't be too concerned if the unit flashes the epad splash screen while updating. Once done, reset the unit and away you go.

The latest firmware (0809) fixes the screen sensitivity of the resistive screen which makes this unit better to use with your fingers. Irrespective of this, I would highly recommend using a stylus.

As I now have a iPad, my zt does not see much usage except for browsing the net or watching my videos.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 10.2" capacitive screen (USB controlled) to somehow replace the resistive screen. All I need now is to workout how to create the drivers for it in a Linux environment which I have absolutely no experience in.

It's a pity the zenithink will not release the source code to 3rd party developers, this will greatly speed up the process for creating custom rooms to suit this tablet.

Rob

In terms of flashing the unit jombib,

Firstly, you need to manually setup the drivers via the 'have disk' function in vista. Make sure your os is 32bit only.

Once setup, to prevent the unit to boot in while in flash mode, setup all the required files via the boot loader program first, then connect the unit, then hit the flash button. Don't be too concerned if the unit flashes the epad splash screen while updating. Once done, reset the unit and away you go.

The latest firmware (0809) fixes the screen sensitivity of the resistive screen which makes this unit better to use with your fingers. Irrespective of this, I would highly recommend using a stylus.

As I now have a iPad, my zt does not see much usage except for browsing the net or watching my videos.

I am currently looking at purchasing a 10.2" capacitive screen (USB controlled) to somehow replace the resistive screen. All I need now is to workout how to create the drivers for it in a Linux environment which I have absolutely no experience in.

It's a pity the zenithink will not release the source code to 3rd party developers, this will greatly speed up the process for creating custom rooms to suit this tablet.

Rob

I think it speaks volumes for this tablet that it drove you to an iPad. ;-p

Actually after playing around with this thing i can reallly see the attraction of a functional tablet with stable software and hardware.

Thanks for the help i'll have a crack tonight.

Cheers

James

The iPad purchase was because the mrs could not control and understand the resistive screen. She thought it should be like an iPad. But try telling that to a non technical person on the difference between a capacitive and resistive.

The unit itself is great but is let down by it's software.

If all your doing is browsing/vids. You can't beat the price with the amount of screen real-estate you get. I hear around the inter web people are trying to get cyanogen running on this. Unit has already been successfully /root

Rob

The iPad purchase was because the mrs could not control and understand the resistive screen. She thought it should be like an iPad. But try telling that to a non technical person on the difference between a capacitive and resistive.

The unit itself is great but is let down by it's software.

If all your doing is browsing/vids. You can't beat the price with the amount of screen real-estate you get. I hear around the inter web people are trying to get cyanogen running on this. Unit has already been successfully /root

Rob

Hey motiv just wanted to say thanks for the help I'm now running version 0818 and its seems to be a hell of an improvement over the original release.

Now to try some xda inspired upgrades ;-)

Nice, Galaxy S specs revealed. Looks pretty darn awesome.

Galaxy Tab...

I'm using the galaxy s phone at the moment.. Is nice, tho swype is a little weird at times.

Looking at screen sizes, I don't think a 7" screen is big enough.. 10 would be best for what I do :)

Heck if their cheep enough I may get dad one for some of his stuff.. What is the intended pricing for the galaxy tab?

http://ijstech.blogspot.com/2010/09/expans...orders-for.html

Samsung has mentioned that the prices haven't been made official yet but they supposedly announced that it'll cost SEK 9,000 which is around $1,240.

Yeah...bit too rich for me for what will really only be used for reading comics.

Yeah, I'm no longer interested. Might as well get two phones for the same price, the only difference being the resolution.

Great thread guys =] Don't suppose you guys have been eyeing Android tablets with docks? I want to buy a cheap one to use only as a remote control for my XBMC powered HTPC. It requires only Android 1.5. I see the TOshiba "Folio 100" (is that name finalised?) fits the bill but looks like it'll be uber pricy for something that's only a remote control...

Using my phone isn't really feasible since guests can come in while I'm not at home.

Yes Folio 100 looks to be the name. Engadget weren't impressed by it at all in their preview.

What size tablet were you after?

I assume you want it for one of the Android apps (such as GMote), otherwise I'd look into using a remote control for it instead.

Or maybe Logitech's diNovo mini keyboard

EDIT:

Oooh maybe this http://www.millennius.com.au/store/tablet-...rtq-tablet.html

How much were you looking at spending? This is the non-3G model, but I assume you're not taking it out of the house and hence it will always be in wifi range.

Edited by morris

I already have the app, the Android Remote control app for XBMC. You'll have to check it out next time you're over. Once you've tried it, you'll understand completely why my interest in generic remotes like gmote and physical hardware like the diNovo line is zero.

That millenius looks curious. This device's number one purpose is as a remote control using the house's wireless G, so yes, I have no need for 3G. I don't see anything about a dock for it, I suppose I could hack one together but the whole point of using this tablet as a remote is that everything about it is SEXY, and a frefab dock would be better than anything I hack myself.

I've been wanting to try android on a tablet for a while and the samsung seems like the right model. Certainly wont replace my ipad though, i think the screen is to small for my needs. What was samsung thinking with the price though. Only way to compete with ipad would be to offer more features at a lower price and android still looks laggy on that tablet from the demo video's i checked out on youtube.

Hung-Su: I suggest waiting for a few of these to actually be released and see what accessories are available.

I'm guessing only the more popular ones (such as Galaxy Tab) will get docks.

Hi guys, I just bought a millennius apanda from the millennius site.

I am also considering the millennius smartq also, Just gota save up a little more.

If anyone gets the smartq before I do, please let me know how you go with it.

There was some interest early in this thread for the Dell Streak.

Well it's coming to Australia October 1 via Optus

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/09/dell-str...from-october-1/

Here's a breakdown of the plans. The sweet spot looks to be the $59 cap plan. The $49 plan has a $7 handset repayment per month, so for the extra $3 a month you get free SMS and double the data to 2GB a month

Otherwise it's $649 outright.

Posted Image

No matter how you look at it, it's a lot more reasonably priced than Samsung's Galaxy Tab

It's too small for what I want but there was interest in the device early in the thread so I thought it was worth posting.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some decent devices coming out soon. I'm tired of speculation and waiting.