Master_Scythe

Got my bike licence!

So, back on topic: should I be getting leathers you think? A lot of people have suggested denim as a cheaper alternative, but better than these new fabrics.

When bikers talk about any form of jacket, do they all assume added armour\padding? eg. is 'Leather is better than fabric' still true if the fabric has shoulder and elbow guards, but the leather doesnt?

If you plan on riding it daily, go for a fabric jacket. I'd recommend a Dririder, or equivalent . Quality, well maintained leather is usually better, but only while it's dry - and unlike fabric, it's not water proof. It's also much hotter (which doesn't suit a brisbane climate), and more expensive. A good jacket with elbow and shoulder armour will set you back around $250.

For pants, I'd recommend draggin jeans. They come in a variety of fabrics these days, not just denim. Expect to pay around $150.

Gloves are self explanatory, quality ones cost $60-100

Don't skimp on boots, grinding your ankle off on the asphalt is an easy way to disable yourself further. You can sometimes get reasonable quality stuff for $100 if you find it on sale.

Despite what some will tell you, a $200 helmet offers just as much protection as a $600 brand name one (as long as it has the australian safety standards sticker on it). However, they quickly become unsafe as the foam in them compresses and the fit becomes loose. In my opinion, it's better value to buy a $600 helmet that will last you 2 years if you look after it than a $200 helmet that you have to replace every 6 months.

+1 To textile jackets and draggin jeans.

are shoes really THAT important? caus carrying a 2nd pair of shoes for when i get to where im going would be a real pain.

are there kevlar socks?

are shoes really THAT important? caus carrying a 2nd pair of shoes for when i get to where im going would be a real pain.

are there kevlar socks?

Only if you consider your feet important.

are there kevlar socks?

How much do you care about your fucking ankles? At least if you suffer brain damage, you more than likely won't be in any state to realise that you're a fucking vegetable, but with no ankles, your brain will be fine and you'll be wondering why you can't fucking walk!

what; socks? or special shoes?

are there kevlar socks?

How much do you care about your fucking ankles? At least if you suffer brain damage, you more than likely won't be in any state to realise that you're a fucking vegetable, but with no ankles, your brain will be fine and you'll be wondering why you can't fucking walk!

all we were recommended were fully enclosed leather shoes.

kevlar socks abailable or not?

or is it high-ankle shoes for support?

Having come off with runners on at 50+ kmph I can say the following

leather > fabric

make sure the stitching is tight and good. (if possible double stitched is best seams are jackets weak points)

dragging jeans are great but you will probably get gravel rash and a few scraps etc as they will shift round if their loose which most Kevlar jeans are.

running shoes or similar disintergrate. Leather boots hold up better. Ankle protection saves you (saved my mates foot / ankle though his shin was smashed into 8 bits)

also if you can get belt loops sewn into any jacket to prevent the jacket riding up

gloves. Thick in the palm. Make sure they go down past the wrist. Can have fabric top but leather palms.

Helmet get what you can afford but make sure it fits tight.

what; socks? or special shoes?

are there kevlar socks?

all we were recommended were fully enclosed leather shoes.

kevlar socks abailable or not?

or is it high-ankle shoes for support?

Do fully enclosed leather shoes provide ankle protection? I didn't fucking thing so!

"saved his ankles"

from being torn up; or from breaking?

im just not understanding if its SUPPORT we're going for, or pavement protection?

But hey, go with what you were recommended. Fuck it, ankles are so last century anyway.

"saved his ankles"

from being torn up; or from breaking?

im just not understanding if its SUPPORT we're going for, or pavement protection?

Look at the ankle area of these boots, see if it's any clearer.

http://accessoriesharleydavidson.com/wp-co...cycle-boots.jpg

Edited by 1shot1kill

well that offers both support AND 'grind' protection. which is MORE important?

caus if grind, i'll try find kevlar... something.

I dont want to have to carry two pairs of shoes.

don't fall off

easy ;)

Which is more important to you? A torn muscle or a disintegrated ankle? Why bother wearing draggin' jeans when denim jeans will provide less protetion? Skin ain't all that fucking important anyway, is it?

On that note, why bother with a jacket? A t-shirt will suffice, won't it?

Seriously tho', how important to you is your body? If it is important, wear the proper PPE. If you can apply a risk analysis and come to the conclusion that the risk is low, go with less PPE. If the risk is high, go with more PPE.

How much do you value being able to walk? You appear more than ready to spend decent money on helmet, jacket, pants, & jacket, why not boots? Why bother protecting only 95% of your body?

I never said I WOULDNT, but "you should do it!" isnt the best explaination. all i asked was do boots need to protect the joints movement, or the joint itself from being ground to dust.

I'd just buy some 100% leather basketball shoes possibly; full height ankle support and leather. Middle ground of expensive boots and usability once i reach my destination.

or is there a reason id NOT do this?

I never said I WOULDNT, but "you should do it!" isnt the best explaination. all i asked was do boots need to protect the joints movement, or the joint itself from being ground to dust.

I'd just buy some 100% leather basketball shoes possibly; full height ankle support and leather. Middle ground of expensive boots and usability once i reach my destination.

Yes, there is a reason. The reason being, that you would not want to risk damage to your ankles. However, they are your ankles, not mine.

Would you wear riggers gloves instead of motorbike gloves?

eh fine; i suppose i can find some way to padlock the boots to the bike when i get there. i'll google for the simple answer to my question though.

after a google; its skin and bone grinding. support is not a factor; 99% of 'motorcycle shoes' i can find offer less ankle support then your common 'high ankle' sport shoe.

Why bother? You alread have a simple answer to your question! It is your choice! It comes down to how much you value your fucking body! Do the risk analysis, decide if the risk is worth it.

If you think basketball boots are fine, that's fine. If you think riding around in t-shirt, footy shorts, thongs & a helmet is fine, that's fine as well.

Because by the time you responded i'd already done it?

and for anyone else who wonders, forums and product desriptions, and everything else suggests its all about protecting skin and bone, not the joint.

If they're wrong; say so. Otherwise I have you trying to sideways hint at something I'm just not picking up on, and will take the advice of others who are giving it directly otherwise. Not because I dont trust you, just that I dont understand.

I strongly disagree that Tshirt and thongs are 'fine'; there are LEVELS of safety, as long as its 'decent' I'd call that 'fine', shirt and thongs I wouldnt even rate as ANYTHING.

How come we're too disabled to work, but able-bodied enough to ride a motorcycle?

Because employers are a bunch of picky so-and-so's, and the government couldn't standardize its way out of a wet paper bag?

How come we're too disabled to work, but able-bodied enough to ride a motorcycle?

Because employers are a bunch of picky so-and-so's, and the government couldn't standardize its way out of a wet paper bag?

^

This

and because im trating my conditoin in a way thats not supposed to do anything; but is 99% (temporarily) correcting it.

Also that government like the word 'Degenerative' when diagnosing you. Since it'll never stop getting worse; they wanna avoid hastle apparently.

Because by the time you responded i'd already done it?

and for anyone else who wonders, forums and product desriptions, and everything else suggests its all about protecting skin and bone, not the joint.

Okay, my apologies. I thought the whole reason decent motorbike boots have ankle protection is to protect the ankle, which, while being a joint, is a bone. If you don't protect your ankle bone, you're not protecting your fucking ankle.

But it's your call, buddy. Just don't come crying when your ankle is spread across 50 metres of tarmac. You make the risk assessment, you live with the consequences.

For me, riding around local streets for a distance of <500m at low speeds wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts is fine. I would not do that riding to work every day, however.

i think we just have a communication problem; and as usual its probably my fault.

I meant the ligaments and tissue around\holding the ankle

or the ankle bone\joint.

sorry if i wasnt clear.

If you don't protect it, it has no protection. However, that is your call. I am saying that you should provide the best protection possible. Of course, you don't have to listen to me. You can completely ignore my advice if you want and ride around in fucking basketball boots.

Just don't come fucking crying when you can't fucking walk.

The primary reason to wear boots is for the grind protection, which you can't replicate by wearing 'kevlar socks' or leather basketball shoes. The secondary reason is to support your ankle in the event that you drop the bike on it, and protect your shins from stones that get thrown up.

Generally speaking the higher the ankle support, the greater protection they offer. Leather is best. Good boots have composite or metal grind points on the heal, ankle, shin and outside toe. Regular safety steal caps are a bad idea, as there's no insulation between the metal cap on your toes which can result in nasty burns due to friction heating up the metal plate. Regular leather shoes will wear straight through, and offer virtually no protection (consider a 200kg+ bike wedging you foot/leg against rough asphalt and using it as a break as you slow down from 40+ km/h).

BMW make some nice gear that looks pretty stealth if you're wearing long pants. I use a pair of these:

Posted Image

They're a bit on the expensive side though...

When it comes to safety gear, keep in mind that as an inexperience rider, you're statistically 20 times more likely to be killed in an accident than you were if you were in a car. Add to this your disability, which by the sounds of it affects your ability to focus intensely for long periods of time, and this is going to be quite a risky endeavor for you. Don't skimp on safety gear, it's simply not worth it.

thanks tastywheat, thats what I wanted to know.

I'll try find some boots. Otherwise all leather shoes will do untill I find some. I need 4E width and no form of arch support, as well as extra wide heel.

takes me 6+ months to find normal shoes that come close to fitting; boots are gonna be HARD; whats why I was asking.

apparently as long as the leather is more than 2.5mm thick, thats 5 seconds of 'slide resistance'.

I did confirm from some forums that 'high support shoes' made of leather, are indeed, much better than normal shoes under every circumstance as they support the ancle joint, and the leather wont wear through. However impact can still crack the bone.

OK; leather shoes untill I find boots; which are by far the end goal of the shop; i just know it'll take me a year+ to find ones that suit my feet. Its not just comfort, i physically lose blood flow if they're not right (family history of extreme low blood pressure; oddly none of us ever pass out)

When it comes to safety gear, keep in mind that as an inexperience rider, you're statistically 20 times more likely to be killed in an accident than you were if you were in a car. Add to this your disability, which by the sounds of it affects your ability to focus intensely for long periods of time, and this is going to be quite a risky endeavor for you. Don't skimp on safety gear, it's simply not worth it.

very true; and thank you.

And the disability only comes into play after, about... 4 hours of intense 'changing distance' focusing. and even then its mainly only severe pain. Ive pushed through it before.

Simply, if i get sore eyes, i stop till they stop hurting. Unless i try to keep going it shouldnt put me at any extra risk. I do own a car for long trips.

takes me 6+ months to find normal shoes that come close to fitting; boots are gonna be HARD; whats why I was asking.

There's generally a pretty good selection if you go to the bigger stores. I'm size 14 uk and have trouble with regular shoes, but didn't have any trouble with motorbike boots.

And the disability only comes into play after, about... 4 hours of intense 'changing distance' focusing. and even then its mainly only severe pain. Ive pushed through it before.

Simply, if i get sore eyes, i stop till they stop hurting. Unless i try to keep going it shouldnt put me at any extra risk. I do own a car for long trips.

You should be constantly scanning while you're riding in urban areas, so you're going to be adjusting your focus a lot. Most helmets are ok, but make sure the one you get fits over your glasses comfortably. 'Mainly only severe pain' does not sound good at all, you can't afford to be distracted. Saying you'll just stop is good in theory, but may not be practical.